Non BSO road bike at Tesco for £65

Worth setting up a stock alert perhaps as it goes in and out stock quite regularly. I got another early this morning for spares.

Just been again out on the one I got the other day. Sturdy and nippy enough. The shifting is very nice for the price range. The brake pads might be made of cheese though as one is nearly worn through after just 30 miles.

Chainset is gash though.

When I used to sell the Viking version of this, the brakes were single pivot designs no better than, well, they were just awful.

Its good to see real components on these bikes.

legrandefromage":2nz0ui2z said:
Chainset is gash though.

When I used to sell the Viking version of this, the brakes were single pivot designs no better than, well, they were just awful.

Its good to see real components on these bikes.

Yes, chainset definitely a bit of a let down - and would have been lovely to have had a proper Claris one. But I took the bike up the steepest hill around here this morning - and it didn't bend so I'm going to leave it on a little longer before I swap it out for something with lower ratios, better quality and probably lighter. Proper normal sized cartridge bottom bracket so I don't think it'll be a problem.

The brakes are alloy and pretty good although nameless.

The hubs nameless and nothing fancy although they have at least attempted to provide a rubber seal on the back one.

KMC chain and the shifters/mechs are Claris - and the cassette looks like a step up from bottom of the range Shimano (Silver with holes drilled). I think the finishing kit is mostly alloy too. Most stuff has allen key bolts too.

Pedals - nice to get toe clips (but they are for tiny feet) and the pedals are mostly plastic. I can see them getting replaced for a set from my spares box.

Tyres - suspect there's more plastic than rubber in them. I'll change them when they wear out.

Frame - the paint job is good and robust. Welds are functional rather than pretty I'd say.

Saddle. I actually find it OK - but it is kinda flexi.

Obviously some corners cut to get it to the original price of around £200 - but at £65 it's a bargain, and crucially the skimping seems to have done mostly on the parts you are mostly likely to replace.

But they aint got none in stock!

Claris STi are at least £70 so expect loads of Claris parts on ebay shortly.

Back