Retrobike
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/

Cheep headset on CRC but missing parts???
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=234549

Author:  MADB [ Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:56 pm ]
Post subject:  Cheep headset on CRC but missing parts???

So was on the look out for a cheep heatset to go into my Nishiki frame when I have it fixed and stumbled across this for under £4.........

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=87094

Any one have any comments on them? I don't expect it to be top draw but as long as it work I will be happy.

Author:  jimo746 [ Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:19 pm ]
Post subject: 

at that price what's not to like? :shock:

Author:  MADB [ Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:21 pm ]
Post subject: 

I have ordered one so I will let you all know when it turns up.

Author:  MCsanandreas [ Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:28 pm ]
Post subject: 

i have used Cane Creek headsets,may even be that model they are quite good and for that price whats not to like?

Author:  John [ Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:34 pm ]
Post subject: 

[Moved to bargain forum]

Author:  Logic.Al [ Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:49 pm ]
Post subject: 

Sold! I need one for my M-Trax :) Although depending on what it looks like I might remove the one from the Zaskar and swap :)

Author:  toaster999 [ Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:47 pm ]
Post subject: 

Just got a couple - bargain

Author:  MADJEZ [ Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:32 pm ]
Post subject: 

Have similar on my Carrera and my 16stone plus hasn't broken it yet so must be pretty good.

Author:  EarlofBarnet [ Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:22 am ]
Post subject: 

Mine landed yesterday from CRC. Can't complain for the money.

Author:  MADB [ Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:32 am ]
Post subject: 

EarlofBarnet wrote:
Mine landed yesterday from CRC. Can't complain for the money.

+1

Author:  shinobi [ Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:24 pm ]
Post subject: 

+1 , does it look like there should be a plastic tapered sleeve to fit into the top race where the stem spacers would sit on ?
cheers Paul

Author:  MADB [ Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:03 pm ]
Post subject: 

I see what you mean????????????

The parts

Bottom cup with bearing and crown race but looks like the is a seal missing???

Author:  MADB [ Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:15 pm ]
Post subject: 

looks like it should have a top seal as well.

http://www.vpcomponents.com/newen/diy_detail.php?id=44

:evil: :evil:

Author:  shinobi [ Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:52 pm ]
Post subject: 

Thats why they were fecking cheap then :evil:

Author:  Logic.Al [ Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:13 pm ]
Post subject: 

Mine hasn't arrived yet :(

Author:  shinobi [ Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:24 pm ]
Post subject: 

I have seen headsets without a lower seal before but its that top split sleeve that might be a problem :(

Author:  shinobi [ Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:13 pm ]
Post subject: 

Right just had a better look and i think its probably ok :D the part i was worried about is actually the silver part in the centre of the top row in the photo , mine was stuck under the top cap :oops: also the lower race in mine fits much tighter in the cup than in the photo ? is the bearing in the right way round ?
The plot thickens :lol:

Author:  FluffyChicken [ Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:24 pm ]
Post subject: 

There is an AN version (link above) and this is the AE version, oddly both are quite different in style. Also an A and an AS by the looks of it.

Page 165 of this, show diagram and tech info.
http://www.vpcomponents.com/tw/book/index.php?id=7
There should be a seal at the bottom. What type I don't know but try an o-ring.

Author:  Logic.Al [ Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:39 pm ]
Post subject: 

All the bits seem to be present for mine.

Author:  Logic.Al [ Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:42 pm ]
Post subject: 

It's just a flat black plastic cover over the bearings on the lower race. My lower bearings are in the wrong way round. Has anyone's got stuck on top of them inside the lower race?

Author:  shinobi [ Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:42 am ]
Post subject: 

Logic.Al wrote:
It's just a flat black plastic cover over the bearings on the lower race. My lower bearings are in the wrong way round. Has anyone's got stuck on top of them inside the lower race?

I think your right , i was not looking hard enough at it :oops:
cheers paul

Author:  EarlofBarnet [ Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:03 am ]
Post subject: 

Mine's complete and fitted. Not bad at all for under £4.

Author:  MCsanandreas [ Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:42 pm ]
Post subject: 

mine was fine too.

Author:  toaster999 [ Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:23 pm ]
Post subject: 

It's all there guys. The top aluminium part is around the top ball bearings and need moving up as per the pic. There is no missing bottom seal its all there - you're not buying XT totally sealed headsets or paying for them.

Author:  toaster999 [ Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:24 pm ]
Post subject: 

It's all there guys. The top aluminium part is around the top ball bearings and need moving up as per the pic. There is no missing bottom seal its all there - you're not buying XT totally sealed headsets or paying for them.

Author:  trail-blazer [ Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:46 am ]
Post subject: 

Anyone got a pic of theirs fitted?

Fitted mine but the top cup/cone has movement that I can't get rid of. I tightened the top cap right up, then the stem bolts but the steerer still slops around a little.

This isn't an issue for people that have them fitted to showbikes but I like to ride mine. :lol:

I assumed the taller cup went at the bottom but there were no instructions so it's possible I got that wrong. The bearings are the right way up BTW.

I've fitted plenty of headsets and never had this issue before. :oops:

I pity those poor fools who paid £13 shipped for theirs.

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... ap+headset :twisted:

Author:  Logic.Al [ Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:55 am ]
Post subject: 

Mine seems to be fine. Fitted without any problems. But I haven't got wheels or brakes on bike yet so who knows. No worries if it doesn't tighten properly. Will just have to take the M-part of my Zaskar and buy a Chris King :)

Author:  trail-blazer [ Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:58 am ]
Post subject: 

FluffyChicken wrote:
There is an AN version (link above) and this is the AE version, oddly both are quite different in style. Also an A and an AS by the looks of it.

Page 165 of this, show diagram and tech info.
http://www.vpcomponents.com/tw/book/index.php?id=7
There should be a seal at the bottom. What type I don't know but try an o-ring.

Just checked that link out and the large cup does go at the bottom so I have no idea why my headset has play when everything is tightened up. :?

Author:  trail-blazer [ Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:05 am ]
Post subject: 

Logic.Al wrote:
Mine seems to be fine. Fitted without any problems. But I haven't got wheels or brakes on bike yet so who knows. No worries if it doesn't tighten properly. Will just have to take the M-part of my Zaskar and buy a Chris King :)

I only noticed when I put the wheels on the built up frameset and pulled the brake to check if there was play. There was play on mine but I can't work out why TBH. :oops:

The compression ring is fitted correctly too but the whole adjusting cone seems to have a little movement.

Author:  Logic.Al [ Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:13 am ]
Post subject: 

Hmmm. I shall start looking for a new one just incase. Have to see if I can fit brakes and try it later.

Author:  jamabikes [ Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:08 pm ]
Post subject: 

try adding an extra spacer to see if that helps.

Author:  trail-blazer [ Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:28 pm ]
Post subject: 

jamabikes wrote:
try adding an extra spacer to see if that helps.

:lol: The stem/cap is at least 6mm above the top of the steerer tube so that is not the issue. maybe the metal compression ring is the problem. I've used cheapo m-part headsets etc and they worked perfectly.

:? :? :?

I'm going to hunt around in my spares box to see if I can find the top of an old headset and try that.

Author:  trail-blazer [ Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:52 am ]
Post subject: 

So... I put the bearings from the top cup into the bottom cup and vice versa which shouldn't really matter as they are the same size but I just wanted to try every option possible.

Then I had the idea of opening up the metal compression ring as its quite flexible, then tightened everything back up again, and it seems to have improved things. Not saying its perfect but it is better.

Would still be nice to have some input from someone who has ridden their bike after fitting these headsets to see how they hold up under use. :wink:

Author:  theproudhighway [ Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:18 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Cheep headset on CRC but missing parts???

I've got one fitted. I did clunk when the front brake was applied, but after a blast down the street and tightening the top cap some more it seems to have settled in place now. No more clunking.