Hayes Cycles, Wall Heath (near Stourbridge)

David B

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
Thought it worth posting a heads-up for this small LBS, popped in today whilst visiting my folks up in the West Midlands. Seem to be some decent NOS goodies in there including spare Sachs grips in original packaging for Wavey twist-shifters, 80s/90s short-sleeved team jerseys (Ariostea, Fagor) and the odd frameset (such as an interesting-looking MTB frame with Mavic threaded headset and unusual suspension forks) and complete bike from Univega. Items in the window included a Girvin Flexstem (boxed) and a Cannondale CAAD2 replica Saeco road frame. Could be worth a look for any RBers in the area; the shop is on Enville Road in Wall Heath, just off the main A449 Wolverhampton-Kidderminster road about 6 miles south of Wolverhampton.

David

A reviewer claims it's
"John ‎ - Feb 12, 2011
you can get a a retro bike brand new at a good price"

Used to be one of my regulars (particularly handy for emergency 'cross spares as it opened on a Sunday!) going on twenty years ago, bought my current tb P2s there for twenty quid, wonder if he has any of those left! :LOL:

Very interesting. I've been past it loads of times, even parked up and looked in the window but never ventured inside. Might have a ride over there tomorrow. Cheers for the heads up.

MASSIVE BUMP

Went to this place today for a little nosey. The owner asked what I was after and I said I was just looking and told him I was into the more retro stuff. He said "You want to see some retro bikes?" and showed me into the back room.

It was like stepping back in time, loads of nos bikes and all for sale. I was a bit overwhelmed but I did spot a GT Borrego, Kona Fire Mountain, Coventry Eagle (Reynolds 531), MBK, couple of Univegas and a load of Cannondales. I don't know any of the Cannondale models as TBH they don't float my boat but there were at least half a dozen and he said he had more. I'd got the kids with me, otherwise I'd have been able to take more in such as exact models and prices.

So there you go, if you're in the area well worth a look and if you've got a few (hundred) quid, get yourself a brand new retro bike. ;)

I shall shimmey that way one lunchtime next week I reckon. Not got any cash at the moment, but always worth a peek. :)

petitpal":314rcsnc said:
I shall shimmey that way one lunchtime next week I reckon. Not got any cash at the moment, but always worth a peek. :)

Let me know what you see in there Paul, I reckon I missed more than I actually saw having the kids with me. We were going over Himley Hall so they could ride their bikes/feed the ducks and they were nagging me :D .

Bloke seemed nice and friendly, I'm sure he'll be happy to show you his stash. I can't understand how he hasn't gone bankrupt with all that stock sitting around for up to 20 years.

weeman_mtb":4ve8rqzd said:
petitpal":4ve8rqzd said:

Let me know what you see in there Paul, I reckon I missed more than I actually saw having the kids with me. We were going over Himley Hall so they could ride their bikes/feed the ducks and they were nagging me :D .

Bloke seemed nice and friendly, I'm sure he'll be happy to show you his stash. I can't understand how he hasn't gone bankrupt with all that stock sitting around for up to 20 years.

Will do chap, assuming I get a free lunchtime! :) Wouldn't risk my kids with Himley Hall yet unless I took a boat hook to fish them/ the bikes out with later :D

Update: dropped in on the shop last Friday for a couple of inner tubes whilst visiting family in the area. There's a very nice Whittaker & Mapplebeck 531-framed road bike for £65 in the 2nd-hand display outside the shop, uncertain on the age but unusual to see such a bike badged as W&M rather than their more common 'Pennine' brand name. Looks like a 58cm or thereabouts, would make a good tourer/winter bike project for someone.

David

Called in last Thursday (21 June) on the strength of reading this thread.

There are still loads of brand-new, unridden bikes in the back room; I saw Cannondale M500s and M700s, Konas (not sure of model), Muddy Foxes (again, can't remember model) and loads of C'dale Ravens and Super V's. Unfortunately, the hardtails seem to be small sizes, otherwise I'd probably be the proud owner of a brand new M700. All the new bikes were against the wall and the floor was filled with the bikes that normally sit outside when it's dry weather but, being June, it was pishing down so I couldn't get close to the really nice stuff.

There was also a TT bike that was taken in PX (think it was a C'dale frame) with Specialized trispoke wheels and a nice groupset. Also spotted a pre-Trek Klein but unfortunately someone had seen it before me as it was sold. The CAAD2 Saeco frame was still in the window - I think it was a 52cm.

Got chatting with the owner and told him how I'd found out about the shop: he said he'd not heard of Retrobike but would have a look at it and was quite happy for me to give him another mention. Apparently he got a bit stitched by Cannondale and their sales targets, hence the raft of bikes left over. He said he has more Raven and Super V frames upstairs still in their boxes. He also said he was thinking of getting rid of some of the stuff on the evil bay so it may be worth paying a visit sooner rather than later.

Back