Retrobike
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/

Hilary Stone
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=159849

Author:  Coleman [ Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:46 am ]
Post subject:  Hilary Stone

Anyone else been stung by this chap?

I ordered some m737 spds and a couple of sets or porcipaws from him about 7 week ago - not heard from him since. Too late for PP dispute so it looks like I've been robbed :(

I'd advise all to stay well clear.

Author:  Rod_Saetan [ Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:54 am ]
Post subject: 

Hilary gets busy, he also makes regular trips to Europe to pick up stock afaik, sometimes stuff takes a while to get posted off but he will not have 'robbed you'. Perhaps check how good a reputation he has elsewhere (LFGSS forum for instance) before openly accusing him of theft.

Author:  jonnyboy666 [ Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:18 pm ]
Post subject: 

while i understand he has a good reputation i have noticed several people having problems with sales from him, they do seem to get sorted but he must realise it's making a mess of his reputation and for someone well known that can't be good, and you'd think he would care.

i'm having issues myself with a sale (not hilary stone though) at the moment and i can say that a lack of returned pm/email is what is winding me up, if people don't have time to return messages they either shouldn't have advertised stuff or let you know in advance that they were going to be busy which would affect the amount of time till you receive your item

either way it's very poor.

Author:  tintin40 [ Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:22 pm ]
Post subject: 

Stay away from. got my money back in the end.

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... ight=stone

Author:  Timor [ Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:18 am ]
Post subject: 

Well I've just joined this forum having googled 'problems with Hilary Stone' -I can see the posts are many months old but I'm sad to add to the growing number of negative comments. Ordered some Camapg brake levers - BL8 on his website - which are still there now btw - now been 7 weeks and despite receiving apologetic e-mails assuring me they had been sent...nothing.

It is the lack of communication that first gets you, then the feeling of his total lack of caring, then the realisation that you've been ripped off that finally rams the hard lesson home. I used to see him when he worked at a reputable bike shop in Bath and as people have commented previously, he is very knowledgeable. Well that doesn't count for anything though if, at the end of the day, he's dishonest.

Be warned, NOT to be trusted with your hard earned.....

Author:  Coleman [ Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:40 am ]
Post subject: 

Timor wrote:
Well I've just joined this forum having googled 'problems with Hilary Stone' -I can see the posts are many months old but I'm sad to add to the growing number of negative comments. Ordered some Camapg brake levers - BL8 on his website - which are still there now btw - now been 7 weeks and despite receiving apologetic e-mails assuring me they had been sent...nothing.

It is the lack of communication that first gets you, then the feeling of his total lack of caring, then the realisation that you've been ripped off that finally rams the hard lesson home. I used to see him when he worked at a reputable bike shop in Bath and as people have commented previously, he is very knowledgeable. Well that doesn't count for anything though if, at the end of the day, he's dishonest.

Be warned, NOT to be trusted with your hard earned.....

Sorry to hear you have been ripped off too :(

Rod_Saetan wrote:
Hilary gets busy, he also makes regular trips to Europe to pick up stock afaik, sometimes stuff takes a while to get posted off but he will not have 'robbed you'. Perhaps check how good a reputation he has elsewhere (LFGSS forum for instance) before openly accusing him of theft.

He is a thieving scumbag.

Author:  gdb2b [ Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:54 am ]
Post subject: 

IMHO - Gentlemen, call it as it is. Seven weeks and no product and no refund is THEFT! Brazen, bare knuckles, in your face theft!

The aftermarket business is primarily based on gentlemens trust amongst abiding members. Folks that take advantage of this trust, especially repeatedly, warrant being exposed and publically pilloried.

Do we have any members that specialize in kneecaps visits?

Author:  sylus [ Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:56 am ]
Post subject: 

when someone takes your money immediately then adopts the "I'll send them out when I'm good and ready" for me they are best avoided

Author:  Rampage [ Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:52 am ]
Post subject: 

I feel bad when I haven't posted within three days :oops:

Author:  Rampage [ Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:53 am ]
Post subject: 

It might be too late for a PayPal dispute but not for the small claims court!

Author:  gdb2b [ Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:23 am ]
Post subject: 

Certain members might have skills in the "art" of getting him noticed by customs officials. Nothing like a cavity search in a cold detainment cell to get one's attention.

Author:  02gf74 [ Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:46 am ]
Post subject: 

Rampage wrote:
I feel bad when I haven't posted within three days :oops:

me too so i will sent notification as to when i expect to post.

that is why you should buy stuff from me .............. except for the small problkem that I don't have much retro stuff to sell or can't be bothered with the hassle of replying to question, packing, posting etc for little financial gain other than getting more space or helping others out.

Author:  We_are_Stevo [ Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:25 am ]
Post subject: 

That's one of the main reasons I'm not listing anything on here or eBay; at the moment I don't even have the time to take photo's let alone list/reply/package/post...

...got some decent kit I need to shift but wouldn't want to inconvenience anyone by not being able to keep abreast of it all :?

Author:  godders [ Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:10 pm ]
Post subject: 

Some time ago i posted picks on the retro road section of a frame that came my way, i know nothing about road bikes at all... but i could see that this frame was a bit "special" several members came to my aid with information about it :) i then recived a pm from a member warning me to be very careful if certain people contacted me with view to buy this frame off me Mr stones name was top of the list .... now i must also say that he didnt contact me, nor have i ever had any dealings with him in buying or selling parts, but i think it say alot when someone that you have never met or had any contact with pm"s you to warn you of someone !!
i also think that if your giong to run a business then "pissing" of you customers is probably not the best way to go about it !
just my view for what its worth

Mick

Author:  Vinevo [ Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:54 pm ]
Post subject: 

If items genuinely go missing in the post, which very very rarely they can do, then the sender can claim unto £46 back if sent normal post, this can be applied for only after 21 working days which is the PO time scale to expect an item to arrive, maximum time of course. More insurance can be bought at time of sending, i.e. Special Delivery, etc.
Just saying I sent it, end of in effect, is not acceptable, as a seller you have to take responsibility and take it up with the PO, get the money back and refund the buyer, it's all part of the process. If the seller is not prepared to do this, than that's the time to question what is going on here?

I have been here before, on both sides.

Author:  gtRTSdh [ Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:55 pm ]
Post subject: 

Rod_Saetan wrote:
he also makes regular trips to Europe to pick up stock afaik,

Does he go on foot?

TTT for all the good peoples sake.

Author:  cce [ Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:57 pm ]
Post subject: 

Hilary's not shifty as such, just crashingly disorganised, bordering on incompetent.

Author:  ishaw [ Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:05 pm ]
Post subject: 

It seems like I dodged a bullet then, a he never replied to my purchase request a year ago.

Author:  NeilM [ Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:32 pm ]
Post subject: 

cce wrote:
Hilary's not shifty as such, just crashingly disorganised, bordering on incompetent.

Not really the best sort of person to have an on-line business then.

I've never had any dealing with the man, but I do like some of the stuff on his web site.

Author:  cce [ Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:35 pm ]
Post subject: 

NeilM wrote:
cce wrote:

I've never had any dealing with the man, but I do like some of the stuff on his web site.

He's relatively local for us. Pick ups are the best bet

Author:  legrandefromage [ Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:37 pm ]
Post subject: 

Have never trusted him since meeting him at a cycle jumble a couple of years ago.

Author:  Rod_Saetan [ Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:04 pm ]
Post subject: 

cce wrote:

That was my feeling when I posted in this thread a year and a half ago, seems he may have stepped up a gear to taking peoples money and ignoring them though.

Author:  NeilM [ Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:13 pm ]
Post subject: 

cce wrote:
NeilM wrote:
cce wrote:

He's relatively local for us. Pick ups are the best bet

So I gather. I can get to either location easily.

Whether it's possible to get in touch is, from what I can gather, another matter entirely.

Author:  Bpool77 [ Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:45 pm ]
Post subject: 

Do we have any members that specialize in kneecaps visits?[/quote]

Not cheap tho? :?

Author:  drystonepaul [ Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:38 pm ]
Post subject: 

Can we keep the threats of physical retribution off the forum please.

If anyone has any trading problems that have not been resolved between those involved, then you need to contact the moderators.

I appreciate that this is an old thread that has been bumped.

Author:  Bpool77 [ Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:35 pm ]
Post subject: 

in jest? just goin with the flow no insult or upset ment :oops:
wont happen again. Promis x

Author:  Russell [ Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:06 pm ]
Post subject: 

drystonepaul wrote:
Can we keep the threats of physical retribution off the forum please.

If anyone has any trading problems that have not been resolved between those involved, then you need to contact the moderators.

I appreciate that this is an old thread that has been bumped.

1. Kneecapping... clearly a joke.

2. What exactly is it that one would expect a retrobike moderator to do about a purchase from a random, unaffiliated on-line trader?

Author:  Kevinwulf [ Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:59 pm ]
Post subject: 

Bought stuff from Hilary 4 or 5 times over the last half-dozen years or so. Got everything quickly and with no issues. And I live on the other side of the world in Australia. So YMMV I guess.

I'd definitely buy from him again.

Author:  fatfixie [ Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:55 pm ]
Post subject: 

Kevinwulf wrote:
Bought stuff from Hilary 4 or 5 times over the last half-dozen years or so. Got everything quickly and with no issues. And I live on the other side of the world in Australia. So YMMV I guess.

I'd definitely buy from him again.

I have transacted with him 3 times and am also in OZ. No problems here. Maybe he puts his efforts into the OS transactions?.....

Author:  Jones [ Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:09 pm ]
Post subject: 

I've bought from him lots of times in the past with no problems at all :? funnily enough though I did try and buy a rear mech off him about a month ago and didn't get a reply at all, so maybe he's having some sort of problems :?:

Author:  Tommy [ Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:11 pm ]
Post subject: 

I've also bought from him a NOS SunTour freewheel this month, with no problems.

Author:  sylus [ Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:21 pm ]
Post subject: 

I wonder if it's worth someone sending him a link for this discussion to show him just how many unhappy customers he has in a key market that are unhappy and perhaps it might be the kick in the pants he needs before he loses a lot of business?

Author:  gdb2b [ Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:57 pm ]
Post subject: 

A couple questions then regarding a hypothetical purchase.

A seller indicates an item is available and sets a posted price.
A potential buyer PMs seller expressing an interest to purchase pending pics.
Pics provided.
Buyer confirms interest to purchase.
Paypal info exchanged.
Payment made and buyer notifies/PMs seller of same.
Seller acknowledges receipt of payment.
Seller posts item.
Seller notifies/PMs buyer of post.
Buyer receives the item.

In this transaction, what is the maximum acceptable amount of time between payment made and item posted, and between payment made and item received?

Lastly, most which sell request and prefer a PayPal gift, which puts the buyer at a disadvantage and little recourse if they don't receive to goods. Since this process runs on trust, and is easily abused, what do most members herein do?

My sense is that the seller should typically post the item within 7 days or so. Most of us work and sometimes work schedules only allow us to post on the weekend. Holidays might strech it out to 10 days or so.

Thoughts?

Author:  oaklec [ Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:20 pm ]
Post subject: 

I've been waiting 6 months or more now for a refund.

I bought some mavic ma2 rims.

He sent me some different, poor condition ma2 rims, clearly not the ones advertised, different labels for a start.

I sent them back requesting a refund.

Still waiting, though I've kind of given up.

I won't be buying from him again.

Author:  secret_squirrel [ Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:39 pm ]
Post subject: 

gdb2b wrote:
Lastly, most which sell request and prefer a PayPal gift

Thats just silly. Since its the buyer who chooses the gift option or not the seller doesnt get a look in. People choose PPG coz they are willing to take the risk over paying a little extra.

Has anyone ever chosen normal paypal and not PPG and had the seller reject it?

Author:  letmetalktomark [ Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:52 pm ]
Post subject: 

As with all of these threads it seems a mix bag of peoples experiences.

I have to say I have had several dealings with him. All the transactions have been good to date.

To the OP surely you noticed something was array earlier than seven weeks :?

I usually allow three before contacting the seller/shop and then take PP action for non/non satisfactory response.

Author:  Crantinope [ Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:13 pm ]
Post subject: 

gdb2b wrote:
Lastly, most which sell request and prefer a PayPal gift?

I bought from Hilary when he dealt solely on LFGSS, and also from his site, and both times I used Paypal (non-gift) for payments.
Ultimately, he is well thought of on LFGSS, but does have lapses.
There is however no reason for the delays in returning funds/sending correct items.
Lets not mention PP gift again, pay the right way, and you get 45 days to sort any issues.

Author:  Twister [ Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:02 pm ]
Post subject: 

FWIW I have bought some bits from Hilary and there were no issues with product or timescales.

Personally, I use the option to pay PayPal fees when purchasing from anyone I don't know well. It's not much extra and whilst I have yet to use the refund service I prefer to have the peace of mind, that's what its there for.

Author:  sylus [ Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:19 pm ]
Post subject: 

I had never heard this name until this thread so if someone can post me his company email or even more his contact details I am happy to contact him to point out how many people would appreciate his input

Author:  Tommy [ Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:29 pm ]
Post subject: 

As i say, thanks to Hilary

Author:  BoyBurning [ Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:27 am ]
Post subject: 

Slightly bad taste possibly in light of some people's experience but, my dealings have always been fine, if slightly tardy response-wise to emails.

My only gripe really is that having spent hundreds of pounds over different transactions I never got any discount whatsoever.

Not even a combined purchase discount on postage!

But, I've always been happy with what I received, save for some NOS 231 Ceramics which were very over-aggressively wrapped in parcel tape which did not do many favours to the rim surface in terms of residual sticky crap...

BB

Author:  Coleman [ Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:33 am ]
Post subject: 

letmetalktomark wrote:
To the OP surely you noticed something was array earlier than seven weeks :?

No - stupidly had some faith that he'd come good in the end and then got distracted, maybe the tele or something and went over the time limit for PP. But it was ages ago now - I'd forgotten about it until this thread got bumped.

Tommy wrote:
As i say, thanks to Hilary

Nice set of cogs you have there :D Well done you ;)

It sounds like the majority of his sales go through OK - if you do buy from him don't be fooled by the fact he has a flashy website and appears to be a 'professional'. Be prepared for him to take your money, not send it, not to reply to you.

As with all things read the good the bad and the ugly reports and make up your own minds - I'd suggest that you protect yourselves by using PP (not gift) and don't let it go past 45 days :facepalm:

Author:  ishaw [ Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:35 am ]
Post subject: 

secret_squirrel wrote:
Has anyone ever chosen normal paypal and not PPG and had the seller reject it?

As it goes, yes I have. I didn't follow this up with a gift payment :roll:

Author:  rogerzilla [ Sun May 12, 2013 8:49 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Hilary Stone

He's useless. I e-mailed him a month ago about some sprockets he had on his website, heard nothing. Phoned, he was fairly rude and wouldn't take any details, insisting on an e-mail. I said I'd already done that, but sent another e-mail anyway. Again, heard nothing.

Yet he has since advertised bikes for sale on the CTC forum.

Conclusion: either

(1) he has technical problems with receiving e-mail and doesn't know how to sort them out

(2) he only cares about shifting big profitable stuff

(3) he is just inept.

I have given up on the idea of ordering anything from him. At least I didn't give him any money. There are enough postings about people who have paid and then had problems.

Author:  kingoffootball [ Sun May 12, 2013 8:52 am ]

I messaged a few weeks ago about buying something and haven't heard back either.

Author:  Cavalier [ Sun May 12, 2013 1:19 pm ]

When I spoke to him once he made it clear he ignores emails he doesn't like. Phone the prize git on his home phone number:

(0044) (0)1495 370552

Just expect the cold shoulder and having the phone put down on you, but you will get your money back as I did.
Annoyingly I no longer have his home postal address otherwise you could send him a small claims court invite.
Oh, and ignore others who sanctimoniously tell you he's 'busy, on a buying spree, saving the world' as I did only to find out he was happily posting new items on his website while ignoring my emails.

Author:  rogerzilla [ Sun May 12, 2013 2:37 pm ]

http://toolhaus.org/cgi-bin/negs?User=h ... eceived+by

He doesn't use fleaBay any more!

Author:  azaro [ Sun May 12, 2013 2:42 pm ]

That must be a record for the worst feedback ever!

Author:  legrandefromage [ Sun May 12, 2013 2:59 pm ]

Having witnessed him in action at a cycle jumble, I can fully understand why his feedback could be so bad.

It had been racking my mind for ages who he reminded me of:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0-2n8JHc1M&noredirect=1

Author:  fatfixie [ Sun May 12, 2013 3:02 pm ]

Do tell :-)

andy

legrandefromage wrote:
Having witnessed him in action at a cycle jumble, I can fully understand why his feedback could be so bad.

It had been racking my mind for ages who he reminded me of:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0-2n8JHc1M&noredirect=1

Author:  kingoffootball [ Sun May 12, 2013 4:46 pm ]

Cavalier wrote:
When I spoke to him once he made it clear he ignores emails he doesn't like.

I emailed him to say I'd buy something at the price advertised, plus whatever postage in the UK would be. I'm not sure what he didn't like about that.

Author:  Charlieboy28 [ Sun May 12, 2013 5:30 pm ]

I SAID YOU BUY ONE,YOU GET ONE FREE, I SAID YOU BUY ONE YOU GET ONE FREEEE

In all fairness to Hilary, i have dealt with him on 3 occasions, fast response and items arrived within a few days

so i would be more than happy to buy of him til he does me wrong

Author:  taffy [ Sun May 12, 2013 5:32 pm ]

kingoffootball wrote:
Cavalier wrote:
When I spoke to him once he made it clear he ignores emails he doesn't like.

I emailed him to say I'd buy something at the price advertised, plus whatever postage in the UK would be. I'm not sure what he didn't like about that.

All of it :roll:

you should have indicated the payment of £5 to read and another £5 to reply to said emails.

From reading I think even if he had something i wanted desperately i would not bother.

Author:  mass199 [ Sun May 12, 2013 6:34 pm ]

My mate has had some dealings with him and has been to his depot/shop.

Yes I do know where it is!

Author:  bagpuss [ Sun May 12, 2013 6:49 pm ]

At Jumbles he has
been a good customer in the past,If the price is right he will buy....

Best place SFAIC. Sold as seen , no postage , and proper prices....NOTT.

Author:  John [ Sun May 12, 2013 8:06 pm ]

Moved to the feedback section since I guess it belongs there. Can I ask we keeps things factual too...

Author:  Ollie [ Tue Nov 11, 2014 12:03 am ]
Post subject:  Re:

Was talking to a friend of mine when we were out for a ride on Sunday. He certainly has had bad experiences with him in the past.

Author:  kingoffootball [ Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:51 am ]

Just thought I should post that my dealings with him this week were excellent. I enquired about a bottom bracket on Monday and got a response within a few hours. I paid for it Tuesday and it arrived yesterday. I'm really happy with it, so very satisfactory transaction.

Author:  legrandefromage [ Sat Oct 10, 2015 11:35 am ]

He was at the Whittlsey jumble today stuffing his Citroen with as much as possible.

Not sure how I feel, he seems to be just a dealer and not actually enjoy cycling, unlike the 77 year old bloke unloading his car who still manages 90 miles a week...

Author:  ibbz [ Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:00 pm ]

Bought two things from Hilary stone so far - TA chain ring and Shimano 600 chain with no issues, comms were good too. And he gave good advice on issue I had iwith some other cranks.