British lingo

stretchb0x

Devout Dirtbag
I gather that "nic" refers to condition, but where's it come from and is it an abbreviation for something? Just curious.

In case any of you was wondering, "GM" means shitty cars.

Indeed - if something is in "good nick" then its condition is good; however, I can't find a single reference as to the etymology of it!

I refer you to www.peevish.co.uk/slang

should see you right.

Nick is slang for quality, the reason is unclear by may be due to an archaic colloquism. It is wide spread across the UK but I belive it is a London originated expression, therefore it's roots may be in rhyming slang, hence it is not obviously an abbreviation.

In return you may be able to tell me why is a womans fringe called 'Bangs' on your side of the pond. ;)

Actually Pete, all fringes can be referred to as "bangs", not just girls'...

And did you know that when used as an email address separator, an exclamation mark is known as a bang. Funny how two together - !! - looks a little like a short fringe and a pair of eyes...

I always liked 'chuffed.' Forever, I thought that meant angered or displeased, but I just found out it means the total opposite.

Doh!

Unless it is used as a substitute for F**ked.

As in "That chuffing dog as puked on the floor again!"

Nothing, it would appear, is ever simple! ;)

ameybrook - from www.allwords.com

"chuffed
adj

(Brit)
1. colloq
Very pleased.

Etymology: 19c: from dialect chuff plump or swollen with pride."

Anybody else read "Mother Tongue" by Bill Bryson?

Stick Legs":1aw0xq2z said:
And you used the word etymology.

I am deeply impressed! :cool:

not to be confused with entymology of course, which means something totally different.

Back