Custom made/built BMX (frame) anyone done it?

reanimation

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Hey OS BMX fans,

I'm not quite old enough to have caught the peak of BMXing so I'm not too fussed about spending mega wads to collect them, specially as mine in 1985 was a no (big) brander jobber. I remember the primary school buzz of the must have bike in 1984/5/6, and I also watched E.T. on very fuzzy pirate VHS not long after it came out. Being mega iconic those old Kuwaharas are pretty damn pricey. :-/

et.jpg

I bought an 80's kids BMX frame last year, I couldn't get over how small and puny it was, but then I'm not a kid anymore (sort of) and as I've got bigger the frames have got longer and the tubes fatter (and thinner again)

I really fancy an 80's style BMX that I can actually ride, probably in chrome! :idea:

I really like the new BMXs but its just not the same is it? Though classic skinny tubes and retro lumberjack shirts and tight jeans its still new skool

So the plan would be get a good frame builder, would that be usual suspects for MTB/road, Jackson, Roberts, Yates? would they know enough, same principle? and similarly, would the price be BMX sized! Hope so! maybe not unless I do all the R&D for sizings and geometry..

Then fit a careful mix of parts, with a retro early 80's overall feel, and maybe a little new tech subtly integrated here n there. ;)

It can get more grown up by using new fangled 22" wheels, it would even then look in proportion to an 80's bike but bigger... ?

IMG_1365-2-600x399.jpg

or just dress up a Faction 22" BMX?

Any ideas, thoughts or existing examples from you big BMX fans?

Yep thats the kinda thing, really gets me juices flowing, cheers.

Just got reading about those Kappa frames too.

Its not an isolated idea is it, so there could well be products out there already...

spotted this a while back but at £499 it would be crazy and and not zactly whats in mind unlike those stunning exaples ^
holmes3.jpg

would build a great bike tho

That Holmes is wicked....actually a nice bike to ride as I've taken one through the trails a few times :D

I'd go to a BMX company before a road/MTB builder, who probably wouldn't do it anyway. Although I don't know of any companies still building BMX frames in the UK, all the companies that build their own frames in the US will do custom for you.

FBM, Standard and Solid will build you pretty much anything within reason. S&M will do you a custom frame but they prefer it to be based on an existing model. I think they will do complete custom jobs, but I've asked Moeller about it and he seemed very reluctant. Besides, he'll charge you a fortune. There are also a few smaller companies like Liquor Bikes, can't think of any other off the top of my head though. You can't really fault any of them on the quality of their work.

The other US made brands like Terrible One, Stranger, Cult, don't build in house and get their frames made at FBM, Solid and S&M these days, so there's not really much point asking them.

I've had custom frames from FBM and Terrible One (when they made at MAAS) in the past, both were quick and easy and resulted in very nice frames.

The other option might be one of the more BMX-ish MTB companies, like Brooklyn Machine Works.

Cheers Neil, a full Quad angle bike or frame is available from Alans for less than that frame, mighty tempting, but; I don't have the immediate cash (its still a nuts future idea), buying complete spoils the creativity and difficulty a little, and I prefer that Kappa design Perry posted! Awesome though.

I realise I'm not alone on this, I've joined VintageBMX and the category there is as mentioned here ^, Retro New Skool. makes sense innit!

Beagle, cheers for that, really helpful and interesting links. I love seeing workshops and things being made non anonymous with love and care, and the industrial looks that the frames go through. yum :cool: You are in America then? They all look like goers if you wanted to go in there and do the deed. FBM say $450 for a frame which aint too bad, and if we still had a good exchange rate that would be great. still compared to custom MTB here its still good. I love some of the stuff on the Standard site, the details and features, If they were over here I'd be drumming up some designs for an MTB or a BMX!

Cheers for the other tips too.
http://www.curtisbikes.co.uk/motocross.html we have a few folks available now I think.
Now I know there's others at it I'll be careful to reinvent the wheel so quick but certainly a good starting seed to this idea!

What happened to Kappa have they given up for a bit?

reanimation":3euirvx3 said:
Beagle, cheers for that, really helpful and interesting links. I love seeing workshops and things being made non anonymous with love and care, and the industrial looks that the frames go through. yum :cool: You are in America then? They all look like goers if you wanted to go in there and do the deed. FBM say $450 for a frame which aint too bad, and if we still had a good exchange rate that would be great. still compared to custom MTB here its still good. I love some of the stuff on the Standard site, the details and features, If they were over here I'd be drumming up some designs for an MTB or a BMX!

No, I'm in Leeds. Like you say, we still had a good exchange rate when I ordered the custom FBM I had, I just emailed John Lee and told him what I was after.

I'm sure Curtis wpouldl build you a BMX to your own specs and based in the UK as well so may be more cost effective than going US.

www.curtisbikes.co.uk

Personally I'd give an arm and a leg to get a custom Standard based on the old Trailboss :D

Cheers, when I first posted I had a surge of learning and research, noticed the site was down which was a pity given the cool renditions they have done.

I've not forgotten this plan its just on hold till am flush and projectless (hmm), every time I have tea in my E.T. mug I'm reminded of the desire! In the meantime I'm getting my commuting kicks on my Haro Extreme MTB which is kinda Old Skool BMX in an MTB kinda way!

Back