bmx track in cannock area

plain lazy

Dirt Disciple
Is there an active track in the cannock area? my son wants to start BMX racing but local clubs are miles away in brum or telford. I remember as a kid there used to be one at the winking frog pub (chase gate i think its called now) and i know that some of the retro bike meets are held there. is the track still there?

if anyone knows of any tracks or clubs then i'd appreciate it. If not i can see myself digging up bits of the chase for him to ride on.

Is Derby too far? There's a great one here they've recently tarted up. Only 35 mins from Cannock.

this used to be the local track of dale holmes and if it was good enough for him

http://www.bulwelloutlaws.co.uk/

good track . great family vibe

if your handy with wood build him a "stumpy" gate to practice

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfUWKR_A0yo&feature=fvw

its a simple principal , the bit of wood holds a pin on the gate and the pressure of the bike holds it in place until the bike is rocked back . rolling the bike back on the start as the gate drops is an accepted method in real racing so its great for reaction practice as well as balance . think of it like jumping , you compress down to jump higher same as you pull back to punch harder . rolling the bike back a fraction gives the first pedal more power

learn to be smooth . find some footage of riders like dylan clayton or even brian lopes riding 4x and see how much quicker they are by gliding over the track

bmx racing has become a sprint race . you used to be able to do well on skill alone but its now about explosive power . he will need to grow powerful legs that can spin a high cadence

avoid spuds/spds/disco slippers its invaluable to learn to ride well on flat pedals

bulwell has a mixed cruiser class that allows 26" mtb so you could give it a go too . they also have old skool racing once in a while when a few of the older guys bring out the quadangles and the like

thanks chaps, followed your advice and went over to the Derby track.......Very good indeed. In fact i cant believe how well my son managed to ride the course. He had plenty of wipeouts and there were several moments of crying but in the end managed to ride the track un-aided. For a kid of only a metre tall on a cheap bike with 14 inch wheels aint bad going. Now he wants to go every week. The round trip totally 80miles from my house so it wont be a weekly thing and so still looking for something closer or i'll be track building in the chase.

:cool: My son is in Derby BMX club.
Derby is tough for little kids - it's LONG, and the jumps are pretty steep. That first tarmac pump jump can really catch them out...and if it doesn't the step up after usually does :)

They've got minis he can hire literally for a couple of quid if he gets into it, as well as helmets and pads. It saves you having to fork out for a bike...at least for a little while.

Have a look at http://www.derbybmxclub.co.uk/Welcome.html

Bulwell above has just been revamped and not too much further from Cannock.

Bring him along to a race meet ;)

Back