How much is my BMX worth thread?

m-trax

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
There isn't a thread and I see no point in asking about a BMX in a MTB bike thread so can a mod sticky this for the BMX forum?

Basically I have this. It is a 98 Diamond Back Riptile. The yellow pedals are the only change and I have the OE pedals still. How much is it worth?

2399174458_2da7097f11_o.jpg

2399174278_4d55735528_o.jpg

sorry to say there not worth that much - although it does look not to bad and complete , bar the yellow wellgo pedals ;)

some were around the £30-£60 for a DB like that - for more money it would have to be near mint
these models were quite common - although most now are striped, sprayed, rusted, broken

they don't have top end parts - like brakes, rims, seat - so only worth money to a collector that had one back in the day or would like one to complete his collection

so why are some bikes worth more than others ?

bmxer's wanted top parts on top bikes to race or freestyle on back in the day - so it makes sense to hunt down what you know are good parts with a good frame

company's made bmx's for the masses - so in order to make money - frames and parts used lesser materials in order to keep cost down - but a lots of kids bought these bmx's and so now it's what the look for

in the 80's bmx's were on top form with the likes of racing in 83 and the switchin to freestyle in 85-ish - top bmx's had top parts and most of the time you paid for it as well -

in the 90's bmx was still around but now some of the big names like dimondback - GT - mongoose, started making bikes for the every day kid that was cheaper and used heaver metals -
mass production was here and not just for the known names - lots of cheaper taiwanese bikes flooded the market, looking just like the top brands, just with bad welds and crap materials

2000 onwards -ish saw the return of extreme sports and big bucks for logo companies (Red Bull is a classic - look at any sport and they are there ) new company's were starting up from riders and so - about 2006 saw bikes getting lighter and now a good standard bmx will cost around £300 to be ok and cool with the kids

each decade has it's top bikes with top parts - the better condition the bigger the price - the rarer the item, the bigger the price
but each decade still has a middle price range and a low end one too.
80's bikes mostly are worth more than the 90's and early 2000

worth less because
condition
mass production of numbers
cheaper made from lesser companies
ugly or less desired
cheap parts

worth more because
rare
mint or near
top end frame
top end parts
most had by kids back in the day
looks good to the eye

prices will differ from the fad of collectors or joe public need - weather / summer or winter will effect price - the amount on the market / people clearing out there sheds, lofts, garages and over flooding the market with allsorts thinking there worth top money cos they heard or saw bmx are selling well :roll:

hope some of this helps ;)

cheers B ;) ;)

Raliegh Super Burner?

Quite saveable given the abuse these bikes take and the age of this one (1984)

Attachments

• Raleigh Super Burner.jpg
    Raleigh Super Burner.jpg
    160.1 KB · Views: 21,071
I would of said £60-£100 on ebay - you will get offers of the lower end on burnerworld or raleighburner.com (member on both - serch for my name)

looks near all there - but it will need a complete re-furb - superchrome which is the gold coating on the frame /forks /bars cost around £60 - tires are dead (shame as the front is a snake belly) most other parts can be cleaned - re-anno'd or polished up

if a collector is buying he/she will take into account what has to be done and work out what they will offer you - bikes that have been restored can cost around £300 - it adds up but can look nuts when done

cheers B ;)

Any idea what my Ammaco Silver Star is worth? Must be around '85 or '86 with mainly original parts?

I would love to tell you about £30 and buy it off you :LOL: but i would feel bad (for about five minutes as i ride off :twisted: )

well it is very fricking sweet :shock:
lots of top parts on there - dc mx 1000 and tec 2's are worth about £150 if mint - dc clamp £40 - pro class wheels £170 just name a few (price's are my own thoughts and other may say different )

£500 - £700 around those prices and maybe more or less ;)

now tell me how you got it - what your doing with it and if your take that £30 i offered ;)

sweet machine and i want :shock:

cheers B ;)

Back