-Updated Mongoose Motomag *Feb 2010*

Jamiedyer

Gold Trader
MacRetro Rider
Feedback
View
Hi guys
As above I am after a 80 -84 mongoose cali but would be interested in other model mongoose from same years.
Yes I know its not the wanted section but its probably more relevent to this section.
I posted a long meandering post a while back regarding the mongoose I had when I was younger and now I am going to build or purchase one the same. I had a lot of help I.Ding the bike from everyone here so thought who better to help now. It will be used so I am after a nice condition example but doesnt need be a show bike as, 1: I couldnt afford that :roll: and 2: as mentioned I intend to use it.
I am after either a frame and fork or a complete bike. It also doesnt have to be original either. I am after a chrome/nickel frame though rather than painted.
Any help or pionters in the right direction would be gratefully recieved. I am sure someone must know someone that could help.
The one I had was chrome with red tuff's, pads, etc.
I may post on Radbmx but thought I would try here first where I know the ridicule and piss taking will be in good humour.

Thanks guys
Jamie

Hi mate - think you best bet will be rad - unless you get lucky on here - but the rad boys will have some thing like you have in mind

my only advice would be to do your home work and know which one you want and what it should have on it - newbies can get stung on rad as they can tend to be more top predator on there (it's like the big kids playground at school :LOL: :LOL: )

have a look here first

http://www.vintagemongoose.com/index.php

then check here

http://www.vintagemongoose.com/info/links.php

and see if there's any thing you like the look of here

http://bmxmuseum.com/forums/index.php

and you could always ask on this great site

www.bmxaddiction.com

hope some of this helps mate - cheers B ;)

Mongoose

Hi Bendy cat
Thanks for the advice. I went through some dates and memories and tried to work out what I had back in the day. What I want is to have a shot again at some old school racing, just for a bit of fun and build something similar to what I had and really loved when I was a kid. I was looking at a frame so I could enjoy building it and sourcing bits etc. I have just purchased a excellent condition 79 motomag frame from a lady in the US. Got it a bit cheaper than what she originally wanted so worked out not bad at all, especially with shipping and customs. Should be here in a couple of weeks. Its just a bare frame at the moment but the condition/nickel plating is in excellent condition.
While it was a reasonable price, I still could barely afford it what with a few other things happening lately so it will be a slow build but it will be a keeper.
Will post a pic once it arrives, but as far as exotica in bmx I suppose its nothing too fancy but it will be very similar to what I had/rode, first when I was 11 - 12 :roll: which as much as its pains me fits perfectly with the 79 model.
Cheers
Jamie

oh yeah, I didnt have motomags, mine had red tuffs. ;)

Someone at Rad has some red tuffs £130 at the moment.

Coloured tuffs, red, blue and the later pastels don't really seem to come up that often, black seems to be the common colour.

Well done, btw, how much did you pay for the frame?

yup, Red - Blue - Orange and Yellow are hard to find in near mint as these were the most used colours in models - black is properly the most common and others can be easily dyed black

are they alloy hubed ? (should be for that age)

it's never easy getting builds together - i have 5 builds that all get an equal share in parts when money is not so tight
83' Pro Burner (org spec)
83' Pro Burner (custom)
80' Ramper R11XL (pro race L custom)
82' Mongoose trickstar ( one off custom frame stand goose)
01' GT (chromed pimpstar)

and some others that will need sorting out once i can get these done :roll: :LOL: :LOL:

get some pictures of it when you get it and start a thread of how it is going with some more pic's ;)

so it's going to be a rider and not a carpet queen - always a tough choice when building them up (mine will be a mixture )

cheers B
;)

Motomag

Hi guys
My frame arrived early this week.
Mongoose 1979 motomag
Chatsworth built and as mentioned before the time line fits with what I had when younger. The pics below are the ones I had from the seller and I am pleased to say, while it looks good in the pics its even better in the flesh. To say i was pleased is an understatement. There is no scratches or marks on it at all, let alone a dent or reweld. I had the serial number before I put in a offer, so new it was as described.
It cost me £114 posted and I got slugged for £17 import duty £8 of which was for parcel force handling it :p so not bad I thought.
The build will be slow for now due to other stuff happening but this is going to be a keeper for sure. A quick polish and a set of original style motomag decals to start with. Hopefully have a set of bars and a tange fork soon. Still not sure what colour wheels, I had a the same nickel frame with red tuffs etc, but was thinking the more subtle black now I'm grown up :roll: Unless I can find a set of motomags :roll: :LOL:
Anyway I thought I would put up a couple of pics and will put some of my own up in the next few days.
Thanks for the interest guys.

Jamie

BOHLWw2kKGrHgoOKiwEjlLmE-RBJtEIPDC5.jpg

4ce6_1.jpg

5204_1.jpg

4e62_1.jpg

50dc_1.jpg

Hay J, That looks bloody great - sorry to say it's got to be red mags as it will show that beauty off so sweet :cool:

customs stung me for two aeroyal seat from the US - it's because of the price the seller puts on - over £33 of value of the item and you get taxed - if the seller puts under and only worth up to £33 you miss the tax - but if it gets damaged of stolen you only get £33 :roll: they win each way :x

if that's your red truck then it's got to match that bro ;)

got me a Mongoose with a bit of a difference - a 83' Goose with a trick stand :cool:

SNC16462.jpg

SNC16460.jpg

SNC16458.jpg

B ;)

Mongoose

Hey Bendycat
Thanks for the kind words, I think your right with the red theme.
Unfortunately the trucks not mine, I havnt had a truck like that or that sunshine since I left Australia :LOL:
Thats a cool project you have there, I'v not seen one that sort of vintage before. It looks solid so whats the plan? Is the yellow standard?

Cheers
Jamie

blooming bargain on the motomag there mate...you should deffo join rad as you will find getting parts easier in the for sales and wanted section...

I posted an ad for an OS legal frame and got sorted in a couple of hours!

Mongoose

Hi guys
Yeah, I must say I am really pleased with it as it is even nicer in the flesh so to speak. I was really pleased as I offered a lot less than what was being asked. Not something I usually do but I am skint at the moment and had to sell my M4 s works to partially fund it.
The owner was really good and helped a lot and between us we worked it out. They didnt offer it for sale outside the US, so they were really cool about it all.
I have been a member of RAD for a little while now but have never posted just browsed. Its a great site.
Will keep updating as I go and I will get those pics up in the next few days.
Cheers
Jamie

Back