Newbie to Old School BMX

rhino_mac

Retro Newbie
OK, here's my first post - please be kind! :)

I used to ride BMX in the early 80's - Unfortunately we weren't well off enough for something like a Haro or a Kuwahara so I had a Pirhana MK2 and raced at Poole Panthers BMX track. My parents bought it from Merry Cycles - the only place you could buy BMX in Dorset and Neil Merry now owns Hotwheels, the UK importer! I still see him from time to time..........

I'm thinking of buying an old school BMX now I'm well into my 30's and can afford the bike I wanted when I was 10.

I'm trying to decide on whether to buy parts and put a bike together, or buy a complete bike. As a complete beginner, I'd appreciate any advise or experience people have had that are in the same position as me. I'm tempted with building one up as I've had experience finding parts all over the world for an old 2 stroke GP replica motorbike.

I really fancy something that my friends has back in the day that made me a little envious. Perhaps something like a Kuwahara in Chrome, or a Haro or Skyway. At the time I always wanted a Diamond Back - a friend had a Viper but that wasn't quite what I'm thinking. Definately a bike from the early 80's - I had a new GT in 1990 and it just wasn't the same.

As I say, any advise or suggestions (particularly piccies) would be appreciated as I'm stuck with where to start.

Thanks!

there is an absolutely mint kuwahara frame going on rad at the mo...if i had the money....

Well, I've decided - gonna do a Kuwahara.

First parts arrived today - a Suntour Arrow seat clamp and a Suntour Headlock (NOS - still in Blister Pack!).

Some way to go I think......................

Well, I've bought the frame and bars. It's a 1983 Kuwahara Laserlite KZ83. I have a loooooong list of parts to locate but I guess the most important will be:

Kuwahara Laserpost
Laserlite Forks or Tange TRX
Redline Flight 400 cranks
Suntour XC2 Bear Trap Pedals
Araya 7X rims in crome

But to be honest, the frame/bars have skint me this month so I'll have to hold on till next month before I begin my search for more expensive parts.

So I build it into a "rider" more quickly, I was thinking of putting modern Flight cranks on it until some mint 400's come up. Any thoughts on this? Is this sacrilige? The 400's have a built in spider but the modern ones are just arms? Can I buy a Sugino spider and use this with the modern flight cranks? Any help appreciated

I'll start a new thread when the frame arrvies and post pictures of the build as it happens!

you should be able to use a spider with the modern flight cranks as they have the same fit

the 400's are going to be big money

around 70- 120 for 7x in mint chrome

forks 45 for trx in mint and the laser lites will be hard to find and cost when you do

pedals are around but come in a different price's

post ££ when around

it gonna be a nice bike if done to carpet queen and not ridden - you can get cheaper parts if it's for a rider - and don't forget this is your bike so you can do what you like with it ;)

riders can be very nice and look the part - just don't leave it any where or another old bmx might ride it of thinking that it's just some chav ridding it and a shame to let it go to him and he might want to do it up himself :LOL:

have a look here at some parts

http://martinbike.jalbum.net/Parts/index.html

cheers B ;)

Thanks for this - great help, especially the link to parts. I can't believe I threw out a 1980 Haro Lightning plate about 5 years ago when I moved house. Idiot!!

I reckon it'll cost the guts of £1200 by the time it's finished if I source all the right parts.......maybe a little more if I restore the chrome. There's no hurry to do it but I'm tempted to give the old school racing a bit of a bash. I'm only about 2 miles away from Iford BMX track. I'll have to decide what to do with the restoration based on what I'll do with the bike - no point in rechroming if it's going to bash round a track!

Cranks look expensive. I'll go with the Tange forks and a cheapy lay back post until I can find the real deal. Should keep the costs down until the parts come up. Still, it's fun looking!

Back