Mid Life Crisis Looms.

keithmoonisalive

Retro Newbie
Hi all

I need some advice please.

Mid life crisis looms, I had to give up the Suzuki GSXR 750 a couple of years back but I'm still missing two wheels every day.

I grew up in the 1980s with BMXs and although I lacked the money for anything decent (I had a Team Murray), I loved every minute of riding. So now I'm in my 40s and I have the following:

- A need for a classic BMX
- Some cash (absolutely no more han £500)
- Local woods
- A daughter who would love to come out riding once her stabilisers are off
- Little idea about what to buy

I'd love a lightweight, classic BMX along the lines of Diamond Back, Haro, Skyway, Ammaco etc but I don't know where to look and where to go to ride some. Ideally I'd like something light but strong enough to go a little mad in the local woods.

What make and model might suit me?

Please help me!

Cheers
paulb

Hi paul i'm in the same boat as you mate, gave up my Kawasaki 1100 when the kids came along but wanted something else to occupy my time. Iv'e got a few old school bmx and my best advice would be buy a decent brand (like you said DB, Haro, Skyway etc) with decent branded parts.
If you build it right you should be fine "going a bit mad" :LOL:
I'm 6,2 and 17 stone and i do a bit when i'm out riding with the kids.

At 17 stone I would avoid skyways if your going to ride it hard. I have a late 90s performer I still pull out every now and then. Great bike but heavy as funk. Got to agree with 80s kid though. Buy something quality but genuine 80s bmx are ridiculously expensive so I would look at an early nineties gt/haro etc. Will take some punishment and will be worth more than you paid for it in a couple of years.

Back