My time with Dave Parks

marker

Retro Guru
In 1984 I was a 17 year old kid who loved to hang out on my bmx outside the Cinnamon brow farm pub in Warrington.
I used to entertain the local drinkers with a few stunts and tricks and then encourage them to lie on the floor in a line and I would bunny-hop over them.
Often I would find loose change on the floor afterwards and this paid for a lot of my bike spares.
One night I was doing my usual stuff and an young guy about 10 or 12 years old came over and started talking to me.
He explained that his dad,who had been watching me ride,owned a bmx factory and wanted to meet me.
I was skeptical at first but went inside to meet a very nice unassuming man who turned out to be Dave Parks.
A couple of weeks later Dave took me over to his factory in Flint and introduced me to Glynn Lewis and another rider who's name escapes me.
i spent a large part of a Saturday afternoon riding and chatting with Glynn and touring the DP Racing factory.
At the end of the tour Dave took me to one side of the factory where all the completed frames were lined up ready for dispatch.
"Choose one" he said and after some deliberation I picked a white freestyler which he then gave me to keep.
Over the next few months I chatted several times with Dave and found him to be a kind and generous guy and will always remember my day at his factory.
I have since found out that he sadly passed away but I will always be grateful to him for a great day and some wonderful memories.
Thanks Dave.
God bless.
Mark Rose

Back