1970s or early 80s stainless steel Thunderball X frame

dirtyjack

Retro Newbie
Hey,
I've got a stainless steel racing BMX frame and forks with red and blue graphics. It has Thunderball - X on the frame and the forks have Ishiwata bmx cromo stickers. The dropouts are thin both front and rear (around 2-3mm) and are drilled. There are small gussets on the downtube/headtube joint. The top tube is oval. The frame used to hang in George Pennel's bike shop in Peebles in the Scottish borders. One day, for no good reason, I decided to buy it. I built it into a full bike but never got round to riding it. It has hung in my garage for the last 15 years.
Not a lot to go on but if anyone has any ideas about it's origins please let me know.
thanks
Dougie

Attachments

• DSCN0803.JPG
    DSCN0803.JPG
    37 KB · Views: 2,641
Have attached some more pics. The serial no on the BB is R3J0033. There don't seem to be any other markings on the frame. All the welds are very neat and even, the front dropouts are fully welded on one side with 3 tacks on the other. I bought this as a frame and forks only. The chainset and other bits were added by me.
Thanks!

Attachments

• DSCN0804.JPG
    DSCN0804.JPG
    34.7 KB · Views: 2,628
  • DSCN0806.JPG
    DSCN0806.JPG
    32.9 KB · Views: 2,628
  • DSCN0807.JPG
    DSCN0807.JPG
    38.8 KB · Views: 2,628
No, It's never been ridden. My son was a street/skatepark BMXer and he helped himself to wheels etc. It's basically hung around in my garage for years. Time to go I think.

Yeah, it's sitting in my loft doing nothing. I'm a mountain biker and don't have any use for it. Like I said, it was hanging in the shop for years and one day I decided I had to have it. No sense in the decision, I just liked the look of it. Can't help myself when it comes to bike stuff.

Hi, did you ever do anything with the frame or is it still as you bought it? if it is still original, id like to buy it.

Back