Question ref Mongoose serial numbers

moffyr72

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mongoose-bmx- ... 877wt_1270

In the above auction the mongoose there shows a HF********** serial number.. I think it's 4 letters then numbers as mine is the same in that it shows HF as the start of the serial number, (although mine looks different in frame shape) I'll have a look at mine and take a pic when its not dark and raining..

Couldnt refind the HF reference to mongoose serial numbers although i knew I saw it a few years ago somewhere.. getting old and shouldve written the info down..

Anyone shed any light on what those particular serial numbers are.. is it a factory away from the normal site.. or?

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
You are both a scholar and a gentleman! Thats the exact snippet of the tinterweb I was looking for.. I'd searched BMXMuseum too!
Thankyou very much for restoring my sanity. I still cant identify the frame though.. as in visually identifying it, but i'll post pics some time for you to ridicule :D ;)

Right, had a look, the ser number is HFFH03295

Which I think makes it..

Expert Pro
"F" = Year = 1996
"H" = Month = August

Although the frame pics..well.. I cant identify it?

I know it came originally to us from the tip with a mongoose circular embossed head badge (son's lost that since..) and a mongoose seat post (lost) and a mongoose stem for the handlebars (which we've stil got). It (the frame) was originally a dark blue colour.
It was stripped, repainted pink for my daughter, some mongoose decals put on it, etc (not period or in the correct place) then was nicked.
it then was found, converted to a tramp bike for a while before being reincarnated as a bitsa using various bits.. DB bars and forks, seat, DK crank and front sprocket (from son's DK Fury) and some random Dk wheels

Crud pics I know, but if you can identify it it would be appreciated!

yes its in crud state.. it's ridden by my son and usually outrides wethepeoples, S+M's and the like.. it's old skool taking it to new skool!!

:D

Attachments

• tube.jpg
    tube.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 3,704
  • side.jpg
    side.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 3,704
Cool, Thanks very much for taking the time to help! :D

Ive just searched the museum.. the rear diagonal tube is different (cant remember the corect name for it..) Mine is two tubes coming up to the top of the seat tube.. the menace has two coming up to one and on to the seat tube. Im certain the dating is right from your first link so ive searched.. can you have a look at the 1996 Mongoose 24 on that gallery, im positive its actually that? http://bmxmuseum.com/bikes/mongoose/39313 the angles and design look spot on? Why is nothing ever easy with pushbikes! Cars, Motorbikes, trucks.. easy to identify.. pushbikes? Nightmare!

I daren't go onto the museum and ask.. :LOL: :LOL:

:LOL: Thats that cleared up! Cheers! My young 'un will now be happy as he can 'tell them exactly what passed them..'

I suppose i'd better spend some time on it repainting it now and see if I can get some decals.. :D

Back