Newbie - daft questions

flash

Retrobike Rider
I'm thinking of getting a BMX (don't ask) I'm quite mature and 5' 7" I know nothing of the world of BMX but ride SS MtB and fixed road bikes.
What sort of size should I be looking for. I just want something to play with as a project, I don't mind paying OK money for a good bike and hopefully get my money back in due course.
What should I pay? What makes are good? I'd be looking for a complete bike....
Ta

Retro or new? If you want a modern one it's best you buy a full bike, unless you want to choose every part individually. Modern BMX's can have quite 'non-standard' features such as integrated headsets and weird sizes of bottom bracket/axles and so on.
I'd look for a late nineties or early '00 frame/bike which would tend to be more 'standard' or 'conform' with mtb's.
As for sizing: it's hard to tell with bmx's. It depends very much on the riders' personal preference. I'd suggest you try some bmx's out of people you know.

Question is what do you want to do with it as well, are you planning to hit up trails/ramps on it at all?

I'm about 5ft8 and a BMX with a 20.75 toptube is spot on for me but that's for trails riding.

BBs up to 2000 and onwards are pretty much all American/standard then, more recently there have been a couple of new sizes (euro and spanish) becoming common probably due to the weight thing.

Personally I'd be looking for a mid/late 90s Standard Bikes Trailboss or motocross 125....beautiful bikes and very, very well made :D

Back