Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sun Dec 04, 2016 5:35 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:43 pm 
Dirt Disciple

I've finally collected my old DP freestyler frame number 932 from my parents garage, it's been up in the rafters for the last 20yrs+ and i totally forgot i still had it until my father had a clear out.

I admit it's in a bit of a mess (understatement), but i pumped the tyres up and it still works!, after a few minutes up n' down the street i managed a fair number of back wheel hops, and a nice rolling 180 kick turn on the front.....woohoo!, but i'd best not get too excited as the sight of a 39yr old trying to do the kind of stunts n' tricks he pulled more than 20yrs ago on a teeny bmx is not a good look and I'm not about to go down the route of restoring it so i guess the kindest thing to do is sell it to someone who will love and restore it back to former glory.

I do remember giving it the horrendous fluorescent green paint job - it was white at some point if i remember correctly, Acorn freestyle wheels,perished tyres, dunno about the one piece crank as it's so rusty i couldn't read anything, odi mushroom grips that i remember buying down in london on holiday back in 1986, crap plastic pedals and dia-comp brakes.

Would i be better to shot blast the frame and give it a coat of primer before i advertise it or is it best to sell the entire bike as it is?.

And the obvious question?...is it worth owt?.

Any advice gratefully received, pics below.

Cheers,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:31 pm 
Devout Dirtbag

Dibs

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:08 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Cheers for all the offers folks but after reading through them and being somewhat surprised at what i've been offered i realise i might actually have summat worth holding on to or restoring to a decent standard - i have access to shotblasting/powdercoating and chroming facilities through friends and colleagues so it may make sense to restore and hang on to it.

I genuinely though it may only be worth a few ££ but i've done a bit of searching online and it seems to be a rather sought after bmx.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:51 pm 
BMX Moderator
BMX Moderator

This bike has a new home (mine :D ) and i can't wait to get it back to life and liven on the street (money and work the only things holding me back :lol: same boat as the rest of you then :lol: )

having met Somafunk on the London Dogs Run - great guy and happy to see it go to a good home

have the frame, forks, new twin top bars - skyway mags - redline style forklifter stem - kashi handler seat - rental layback post and some other bits - just need a couple more and then off to the powder coaters - trying to sort it out but need to sort out van and car first :roll:

cheers mate for letting me get my hands on it and great to met you :wink: :wink:

cheers B 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:49 pm 
Devout Dirtbag

Really was the guy at the London ride??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:55 pm 
BMX Moderator
BMX Moderator

yer think so - or was the beer getting to me :?

was it you i was talking to and got it wrong :? :shock: :lol:

some one up my meds :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:56 pm 
Devout Dirtbag

Better up ya meds B yep it was me riding the redline :) i thought it was a lil wierd when you said why did you let me have the dp lololololol we had stopped for a beer already by then!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:45 pm 
BMX Moderator
BMX Moderator

:lol: :lol: i think i miss heard you at first and my mind was a bit mixed up to what was going on :lol: plus the two beers at 11:30 am
sorry mate - i did look back and think what did i just say and couldn't work it out :lol:
I do remember that you have been on a london run before, is that right ?

I feel like a right tard now :oops: :lol: :lol:

gonna have to have a beer with yer next time mate :wink:

forget what said above in this thread :lol: