advise needed on 80s diamond back

dirtydozen

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
First and foremost, is it a diamond back? Its stickered up as one but neither frame or forks are stamped.
If it is has anyone any idea what model
It was originally my brothers bike who used to race in the 80s. It was given to me when i was around 14 i think and as i was hoping for something more modern my dad sprayed the rear triangle to 'jazz' it up a bit.
Had totally forgot about it tbh but came across it last night whilst up in the loft. Even had the forks with it which was a total shocker.
I would like to try and get it back to original as best possible. As you can see from the pics its a shiny frame lol ie wasnt originally sprayed(ignore the bit my dad did)
Is it possible to get the same finish it had when new and if so how do i go about it? It does have quite a bit of rust so is gonna need a good rub down, is this done in the same way as if i was simply respraying it a colour?
Whats people opinion on whether its actually worth doing?
And lastly can anyone point me in the right direction to get some stickers made

thanks for reading

13092010777.jpg

13092010778.jpg

13092010779.jpg

13092010780.jpg

13092010781.jpg

13092010782.jpg

dirtydozen":3eovwdan said:
First and foremost, is it a diamond back? Its stickered up as one but neither frame or forks are stamped.
If it is has anyone any idea what model
It was originally my brothers bike who used to race in the 80s. It was given to me when i was around 14 i think and as i was hoping for something more modern my dad sprayed the rear triangle to 'jazz' it up a bit.
Had totally forgot about it tbh but came across it last night whilst up in the loft. Even had the forks with it which was a total shocker.
I would like to try and get it back to original as best possible. As you can see from the pics its a shiny frame lol ie wasnt originally sprayed(ignore the bit my dad did)
Is it possible to get the same finish it had when new and if so how do i go about it? It does have quite a bit of rust so is gonna need a good rub down, is this done in the same way as if i was simply respraying it a colour?
Whats people opinion on whether its actually worth doing?
And lastly can anyone point me in the right direction to get some stickers made

thanks for reading

Yep defo a Diamond Back.

It's either a Silver streak or a Viper but they're not Diamond back forks. I'm sure they are early Mongoose or Robinson forks from about 1983.

Old BMX bikes are definitely worth doing but that one won't be cheap. If you want the original finish you'll have to take to an electro platers and have the chrome stripped. The raw frame will then want polishing to quite a high standard and then it will nee to be rechromed. The better the polish finish the better the chrome finish.
You'll then need a new set of stickers for it. The old ones would need to be removed from the frame with a hair dryer as whoever makes the stickers may need these to reproduce the new ones.
Also for it to be correct you'll also need the DB forks but you could trade those Mongoose/ Robinson forks for them.

Without the forks you could be looking around the £200 mark for the chrome and sticker work.

This site could help you more.

http://www.os-db.net/

Cheers for that mate, have since found out more on it and was able to jog my memory a bit. Its an 81 bike, not sure if its a silver streak or medium pro coz not measured the drop outs yet.
The forks are from a robinson pro, totally forgot we had one lol.
I may have already sourced some suitable forks for the DB just waiting on some more opinions on their age etc

Are there any frame numbers or "baseball" type logos stamped anywhere (like on the rear dropouts)?

Definitely a DB, anyway.
The huge diamond-hole frame gusset was a strong hint :LOL:

Getting it fixed up and rebuilt with appropriate bits will NOT be cheap...
...but you KNOW you want to!

Nice to see this as I used to have one. Mine was badged as a 'Diamond Back II' and had red anodised rims and flouresent pink brake lines. These things mattered when I was 10. :) I'd love another one.

Back