question

alanf

Senior Retro Guru
right so its here and I've took a look at it and have a question or two?
the head seat is an ahead set, the forks are threaded, in order to get it to all fit together I either have to chop the steerer tube or use spacers, if I use spacers the stem will have to clamp to the threaded part of the tube! if this ok to do?
next question? in amongst all the bits there is this

Picture114.jpg

Picture115.jpg

now normally with ahead sets you get the star nut, top cap and bolt that pulls it altogether and holds it tight, now as far as I can see, is the idea behind this bit of kit is that you chop the steerer tube drop on the stem slot this into the tube and then tighten the big gold nut down onto the stem to pull it together to hold it all place? like this...

Picture117.jpg

in this shot you can see the pip under the main threaded section, I think that this is located into the slot in the stem clamp to stop it spinning?

Picture117.jpg

having had a misplaced youth and never haveing a BMX all this stuff to new to me so all help/advice gratefully accepted :D

Is this on the Schwinn?

I've never seen anything like that either but I think you're right in what you think it's supposed to do.

If it was me, I'd put a star fangled nut in the fork steerer (if there isn't one already) and run a normal top cap. I'd also cut the fork steerer down unless you want to run a stack of spacers for more rise. You've got a hell of a lot of extra tube there.

Back