Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:09 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 6:11 am 

Hi

I am sure this is quite a common story. My son ( nearly 6 years old ) has removed his stabilisers and has gone from not being able to go on grass or gravel to ripping around the garden full tilt in the space of about a week or two.

So in order to be able to go on little rides with him (we live near an industrial estate and are loving empty car parks on Sundays) I broke out my old BMX, it is a Fit series one from around 2001 if I remember rightly. I bought it as a complete bike but put an Eastern 3 piece crank and some Odyssey Ceiliecki pedals.

Pulled it out of the shed where it has been for a good long time, one new tube, a bit of oiling and cleaning and off I went trying to do some manuals and bunny hops around the garden and had a great time, I was knackered but grinning.

This hilariously bad example of BMX riding interhttps://9apps.ooo/
ested the boy a great deal and since then he has been trying wheelies and I have him trying to balance on a 4 inch beam ( at ground level ) which he has done today a few times.

We have watched a good few youtube clips of BMX and he is just wanting to ride all the time.

I am picking up a 16 inch wheel Haro off ebay for him tomorrow (his current bike is just a basic kiddy type thing).

So I think we will head off to a pump track or skatepark soon. I am hoping he will get into as it will keep us both fit and doing something real not staring at screens.

I have ordered a helmet as I want him to wear his and will try to lead by example (also I need my brain).

Having looked at some amazing riding on youtube I noticed that bikes have come along way since I got mine with integrated headsets, tiny sprockets like a trials bike, really short back ends and no one has brakes anymore etc. Also I weighed my old BMX at 32 pounds!!! my mate has a downhill full suspension mtb that weighs less.

I always felt my Fit was a little small for me I am 6ft 3, it never bothered me much as I got used to it and also rode a mtb as well as being in far better shape.

Anyway I am thinking of getting a new frame ( at good sale price ) with a nice long top tube and I wonder if it is worth trying to use anything off my existing bike or just get a new complete bike.

I can get a really nice frame in a sale for about £200. But a complete bike with 3 peice cranks is more like £600.

Will the forks and stem fit with the new integrated headsets? it is threadless type like a mountain bike one.

Can I use the cranks and pedals ? I Could get a smaller sprocket and ring to save weight and fit in. I think my BB is the old big style but it has sealed bearings.

The rear axle is 14mm I think the front is 3/8th (definitely smaller anyway) will this fit new frames.

Where is the weight coming from on my old bike ? a complete Sunday I looked at weighs 25 pounds complete.

Maybe I have very heavy wheels or something.

Any recommendations on frames etc. will my plan to upgrade work ?

I have no intention of risking my neck hucking down stairs and stuff but I do love the feeling a BMX gives over a mountain bike.

Also anyone use shinguards or recommend any. I fully pedal grated my shin today whilst trying to hop to manual a little ledge, it certainly hurts more over 40 !!

Sorry to ramble on. All advice will be appreciated.