Traditional built wheels using Campagnolo-compatible hubs?

otherself

GT Fan
Raleigh Fan
Feedback
View
I'm having difficulty finding online wheelbuilders who build with modern (10speed) Campagnolo-compatible hubs and 36 hole spoke rims. Traditional style box rims such as Mavic open pro or ambrosio offerings. I've found fatbirds.co.uk offer a few but they only build with 32 spokes (not strong enough from experience).

Parkerinternational and Ribble used to a few years back, but not any more it seems (even though they sell 36h Ambrosio Zenith Campag-compatible hubs separately). They only build with Shimano hubs now.

It's like looking for a needle in a haystack... giant Shimano haystacks.

Try Harry Rowland or Paul Hewitt. Alternative to the Ambrosio Zeniths are the Miche hubs - not so classic looking - still may take a phone call rather than placing an online order

Why not build your own? It's well worth learning to build a wheel, and not nearly as hard as people say it is.

wheel building

Happy to build any wheels
have 30 years exp and 3 three peaks cyclo cross victories so they must be good !!!

I purchased this online book - very good.

http://www.wheelpro.co.uk/wheelbuilding/book.php

Whilst there is a great deal of myth and 'witchcraft' associated with it, the book really does put a spoke-key in your hand and help you do it.

There are of course many people with a lot of years under their belt who will do an exceptional job, its a good starting point and the few I have done have been an enjoyable experience.

Like most fields, there are some people that are excellent and others that are just plain - I tend to build mine and them take them to my local bike shop who have a good wheelbuilder and get him to check / sort them and tell me where I got it wrong. Its all learning and not likely to make you a millionaire but it gives you a good grounding in fixing them in the future.

Try sourcing NOS rims off ebay or best still Universal Cycle Centre Rotherham or Nigel @ Campy oldy will be cheaper. Both may also have the old stock Campagnolo 10 speed Hubsets also in stock (though these will not be cheap).

I normally source the parts off these supplies or ebay and then take them to either my local bike shop Brian Rourkes or with my new build Dave at UCC who are more than happy to build them up for a charge.

Back