Friction gear slips...

wired99

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Hi guys
A techie question for anyone who might be able to help.
I have been building up bikes for a while now and seem to have all the bases covered and doing a decent job. I have one niggling concern that seem to crop up though. I am running friction 7 speed on one of my bikes and it just keep slipping on me mainly when I am climbing. I have tightened the levers, checked the chain, but it keeps happening. Not all the time but enough to become a pain.
Any ideas?... It runs beautifully on the big ring and for the most part great on the small ring.

Any help, tips, or advice most welcome

Ta

terryhfs":8g7pqpaa said:
Assuming you mean a transmission slip rather than ghost shifting - your small chainring is worn.
Or do you mean it slips of one cog onto a smaller one? Can be painful if it happens when you're out of the saddle - and it can affect the pitch of your voice.

Have you greased the 'innards' of the shift lever? If there's to much lube in there it can mean it doesn't 'grip' properly. I find that just handling the washers etc. with slightly oily fingers is more than enough .

What make levers are they?

It can be a problem with modern mechs, which have stronger springs to make indexed shifting snappier.
Shimano seem to have the strongest springs of all.

As you are running friction, experimenting with a Campagnolo mech may do the trick.

Back