Off Road Road Bike

velomaniac

MacRetro Rider
Took my Peugeot Tourer ,most likely a Normandie thanks to you lots knowledge, for an afternoon bimble into the depths of Midlothian. Found some narrow path through the woods and around the southern edge of Edgelaw reservoir and set off along it. At low speed tourers are pretty darn competent off road as I know from past adventures. I heartily recommend tourers as an off road capable road bike :D

4551272635_ecfc37053f_b.jpg

You need some sort of mudguards for that. The headset isn't sealed like a mountain bike's, and because it's a Peugeot, it's probably made of unobtainium.

I suppose that's almost the same as a 'Hybrid'. Just fit some heavier tyres to a decent frame with good clearances and you're away!

Previous owner fitted 38mm wide tyres that frankly dont fit beneath the mud guards. I will fit 35mm tyres later and refit the guards, this run was just a trial run ;)

Like it, something liberating about just going out on a tough old workhorse and seeing where it takes you - road, towpath etc at your own pace.

Every winter club run I used to do in the 80s included sections of offroad or, as it was known at the time, roughstuff.

This thread rekindled something deep within me and I just had to get out for a spot of roughstuff this evening. Blinkin' brilliant! :cool:

Anyone know if the Roughstuff Fellowship is still going?

EDIT: Yes they are...... http://www.rsf.org.uk/

Yep, tourers can be very capable on tracks and paths. Took my '69 Hetchins to Cape Wrath last year - that's 25 miles on rough tracks - and it coped fine even with the skinny 28mm tyres. It has some very strong wheels with 36/40 spokes, which helps.

Would disagree with the mudguards comment though. Best without them. They can be a liability if anything gets caught in them. My brother ended up with a broken collarbone when a piece of wood caught in the mudguard and he went straight over the handlebars. Also, they clog up with mud too easily.

Back