early 80s Motobecane

nonameguy

Retro Newbie
Hi. I have this Motobecane and was wondering if it was worth anything.
4544168992_1a074bbbcd.jpg
4544168480_7ac9cb351d.jpg
4543535999_820b7c9c01.jpg
4535711932_be0bb57bdb_b.jpg

That's a nice bike with some quality period fittings. Very short front end, those forks look very small rake. Should have good handling.

I'm sure somebody here would like it. To small for me.

Hello all, I've just purchased a similarly decalled motobecane frame of the fleabay, essentially because I saw some in France on holiday last week and thought they might help make me appear more stylish and knowledgeable about french wine...

I'll need to build it up into something useable when it arrives so keep that Motobecane wisdom coming including any suggestions for age and brand appropriate components and original specs.

Legrandefromage, thanks for posting the velobase link and nonameguy, cheers for the lovely photos of your ride.

motobecane

use and enjoy it there is a good feeling to riding 80's steel , i enjoy riding them . keep the old steelies going you will enjoy it , if not let somebody else have the pleasure

Motobecane frame's arrived, and almost immediately proved that the colour of a frame (in this case a racy looking viper green metallic) should not denccesaily be the prime consideration when buying.

In short, a past owner has started a fixie conversion and has cut out the rear drop outs, reversed them so they are horizontal and rearward facing, and then remounted them higher and further forward than they were before, with the result that 700c wheels will only ft with extreme reluctance and I guess the bike will have a very odd nose up attitude, even if they could be made to fit.

The same person has also cut off the guides for the gear and rear brake cables, in a fit of cart-before-the-horse enthusiasm. I'll stick some photos up so you can see what I mean.

It is still a lovely shade of green though, and for that reason I'm still going to see if I can make a good lookng bike out of it. The question is what exactly the finished article should look like. I'd be grateful for any suggestions on that.

Cheers,

Luke

Back