40 hole 700c rims...

malvernman

Old School Hero
I am planning on getting my fixed gear low pro time trial bike a bit more versatile by putting a medium ratio 4 speed Sturmey wheel in it... I have the hub but not a rim, it is 40 hole [ it bloomin well would be wouldn't it.. ] ..

I am having trouble tracking one down, particularly a light [ ish ] narrow one. I use 23 mm tyres, so a touring one might not be so good in this respect.

Alternatively I could swap the shell, but it would have to be another medium 4 speed as the 3 speeds etc are different I believe. Or maybe some one could suggest a crafty spoke pattern I could use... :D it is only going to be used in tt's so no load carrying [ only my belly ] or rough stuff.

Cheers, Steve.

easy enough to build a 40h hub onto a 36h rim

The wheels is build 3 cross as normal, but built in two "halfs" with the same spoke holes at 12 o clock and 6 o clock on both flanges missed out.....

You will find most of the spokes are the usual length, with a couple around the missing spokes holes needing to be different sizes- usually 3-4mm longer.

option 2- build around a 20H deep section rim (Deep V or Krysium)

Andy

If you could live with 3 gears, the AW is a much better hub, available very cheaply in 36h, and you can pick them up for buttons.

Not that I mean to put you off of course.

I have plenty of AW hubs but they are pretty desperate for racing on tbh, 3 speed AM or the 4 FM are better. The AWs are ok for club rides but I race on this bike..
4u6znq.jpg

I suppose a deep 20 hole rim would be cool, I use a 16 hole deep rim on the front anyway, 40 into 36 is also worth a go, I have boxes of spokes and one or 2 good rims to play with so might have an experiment. :)

It brings a smile to my face to see a good bike with a Sturmey Archer hub.

How about an AW with AM internals?

here you go, my 3 speed club bike :)
1zokaad.jpg

yep I could go for an AM in AW hub , I have already done this on my racing Moulton so it is an option, but I will have to spend money on an AM hub, they can go a bit silly on ebay.. :roll:

Back