Dating Holdsworth - Fancy Lugs (Nervex Copies ?? )

dvines

Dirt Disciple
Just bought a 2nd hand Holdsworth off of ebay.

was wondering if anyone can help me with dating it.

Only number I can find is on Fork steerer which is "553"

It is a touring geometry frame, with Fancy lugs, that look like Nervex Pro, except seem to show some differences.

Front of head-lugs has no fish-tail - a window instead, and no-reinforcing rim.

Downtube tang is much bigger & longer.

Not sure if forks are original - they have full sloping italian style crown which is flush with the blades (no ridge) although they are same colour and as tatty/corroded as rest of frame.

Frame has long campag ends with mudguard eyes.

Curved rear brake beidge suggests an older design ?

I have shown frame to Cliff Shrubb, who said he didn't think the lugs were Nervex but copies - he didn't have any fixed ideas on date,, although he did sayHoldsworth did build with those fork-crowns

Haven't been able to find a nervex lug pattern that looks exactly like it on any of the classic bike websites....

Of course it might not be a Holdsworth just one they resprayed, or a special they made.

Attachments

• IMG_2962b.JPG
    IMG_2962b.JPG
    243 KB · Views: 3,261
  • IMG_2964c.JPG
    IMG_2964c.JPG
    113 KB · Views: 3,260
  • IMG_2966b.JPG
    IMG_2966b.JPG
    247 KB · Views: 3,261
Those are the early type Nervex Pro lugs, I believe. More info here:

http://www.classiclightweights.co.uk/co ... ervex.html

The lugs may have been slightly modified or cut away, which was not unusual. What is unusual is the sloping fork crown - the lugs suggest that the frame is early to mid 50s whereas a sloping fork crown is more typical of a later period. Perhaps the forks are not original.

There is loads of info on Holdsworth cycles here:

http://www.nkilgariff.com/ and also on the classic lightweights website above.

On the rear stays is that a bridge for centre pull brakes?
I have a Holdsworth frame with fancy lug work, but I am sure it once had centre pulls, also mine didnt have a metal badge on the headtube.
Is there a greace nipple on the bb shell?
I will try and post uo some pictures tommorow.

Pictures here
4528748199_a0bd006e30.jpg

4528746399_7532622ea8.jpg

Domestique....

That's not a Holdsworth. You're very fortunate in owning a very collectible Les Ephgrave frame!

Your frame has the 'number 2' lugs which were modified from Nervex Pro. You can tell it's an Ephgrave from the unique 'lolly sticks' on the top eyes.

Yep, definitely an Ephgrave and MUCH more desirable than a mere Holdsworth!

Plenty of Ephgrave info on ClassicLightweights as well - and an owners club!

Cherish it :D

Back