Colnago Master Olympic

churcherian

Retro Newbie
Hi Guys, I have a circa 1997 Colnago Master Olympic (bike) that i was looking to retire and sell to fund a new machine. It has all the usual chrome lugs, forks and rear triangle and a unique carbon effect paint job under the usual expert airbrushing that colnago does. Anyway, it would appear that the good old Chorus bottom bracket has become seized in the frame. I have taken to 2 bike shops who can't budge it. One has now said they would normally 'melt' it out but would knacker the paint, so could gently cut through the cups after knocking out the spline. After 10 years of loving care I don't know if i can go through with it. So the dilema is, do i sell the frame on ebay and be honest about the BB and let someone with a bit more time, guts etc have a go or let the hacker's get about it? Apart from that the frame is in good condition, been raced but never crashed or dropped. How much could i expect to 'loose' by selling with the stuck BB?
Cheers

I think it should be possible to drill out the BB. My Trek 5500 had this problem (note to self - remove seat post and turn bike upside down after every wet ride) and I found someone who agreed to drill it out - the thread on the BB shell took a bit of damage, but it accepted a new BB and I've had no trouble since.

Good luck.

I normally warm up the cups with a hair dryer or hot air gun and lots of penetrating oil and the let it cool down and make sure that the bottom bracket tool is firmally fixed to the cups. and lock the tool in a vice and try turning that way, might take a few days of doing the same thing.
just taken me 3 days to get a campag seatpin out of a rossin
take your time if you dont want to respray it.

yep, patience could be the answer - it took me 4 days and 7 sessions of spraying WD40 to get the pedals out of a set of cranks...

Back