Bottom Bracket info required

lastpubrunner

Retro Guru
Hi there,

I'm looking to buy a square taper JIS bottom bracket;
size 68mm X 119 or 120mm. This would be to go in a 753 steel frame.

The only options that I've found are :

a) Acor bottom bracket
b) Stronglight JP400 in steel (a few pounds more for a lighter one with alloy cups)
c) Shimano UN54

All of these retail for about £15 - price isn't an issue.

What I would like to know is:

Are any of these to be recommended or avoided ?

Can anyone recommend any other BB which is significantly better ? (Does anyone have anything better that they'd wish to sell ?)

Are there any problems with using alloy cups in a steel frame ?

Thank you for any advice/info.

Shimano UN54's are alright, I got mine for £11 I think. They come up on ebay auctions all the time so you could pay half that. One side has a plastic cup which is a bit fragile and cheap, and the spline cutout bits aren't very deep so when I installed mine the tool slipped a couple of times.

Using aluminium in a steel frame is fine so long as you lightly grease the surfaces with either plain bearing grease, or lithium grease. Copper grease reacts and makes a mess, and no grease causes a large amount of electrolytic corrosion and after a while the BB will be really stuck in there.

I don't know the Acor one. but the UN-54 is probably the better one there. Should last you.

They are in the ~275g region. Fit and forget and should last a good while. Plenty of people on here use them.

That's an odd size and 116/118/122 would be easier to find.

Royce make a better bottom bracket though depends how far you're maoney doesn't matter goes.
http://www.genisysconsulting.co.uk/royce-uk/bba.htm

Back