Dream road bike

ededwards

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
rBotM Winner
Feedback
View
Pretty sure we've done this before, I may have even started the thread but memory is no longer my close friend. Regardless, always worth thinking about your dream roadbike (or at least I've been thinking about mine).

My favourite cycling era in terms of professional stuff was mid 80s to early 90s. But recently I've had a real hankering after a Raleigh 753 Professional (have more than made do with a 531c Panasonic replica) and, especially, a Holdsworth Professional like the one pictured. My first road bike was a 25.25" Holdsworth Avanti in 501 and I remember proudly collecting it and riding it back from Cheltenham. In jeans and a pair of battered Nike Wimbledon. That bike saw me to lots of places and was doing well until rear ended on the Elephant and Castle roundabout early one weekday morning. A tube replaced and a respray and it was all good. Until I foolishly sold it, Super Record chainset and all, on eBay for a ton. So a Professional, although from a decade earlier, would really bring back memories. And, for me, that's what it is about.

What's your dream bike? And, importantly, why that one and not a hundred others?

Attachments

• Holdsworth Pro.jpg
    Holdsworth Pro.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 2,079
Ive recently just bought my dream bike a Craig Calfee Greg Lemond in Z team colours. Always wanted one since I first saw it in a Tour De France Cycling Weekly article in 1991. Now just got to find a mint C Record group to go with it. TBH never thought I would ever get to own one but sometimes fate happens. Pics posted shortly its in the final stages of polishing.

the previous thread I think was dream bikes incl. modern. I'll put in my tuppence and keep it retro.
Ideally something from mid 60's to mid 70's. If we're dreaming, a Tom simpson peugeot or merckx molteni.

ededwards":3gfh1q7s said:
What a modern, cynical world we live in when a gentleman cannot dream.....

...uhm, but back in the day I dreamt of mountainbikes, Ed :oops: The Road-virus caught me later.

Miyata Elevation 12,000 in action >>

greg28720.jpg

pigman":18vzt9a2 said:
the previous thread I think was dream bikes incl. modern. I'll put in my tuppence and keep it retro.
Ideally something from mid 60's to mid 70's. If we're dreaming, a Tom simpson peugeot or merckx molteni.

Back then I would have been a teenager so I think now I can call it a dream bike when I was a kid ;)

Back