Tell me about bottom brackets... old ones!

Mowgli

Old School Hero
Can anyone summarize, in very_simple_terms, how to tell what standard of bottom bracket I have? English? French? Italian? It'smade by Bayliss wiley, and is possibly up to 63 years old. The bearings feel a little rough and the cups are a bit worn. I don't know if just replacing the balls will make it good again. Thoughts?
Cheers
Gareth
P1030139.JPG

P1030140.JPG

It's English-threaded. Bayliss-Wiley wouldn't be making parts for any other market.

If you want to be sure, confirm that the fixed cup has a left-hand thread.

Italian thread is 36mm and both sides are RH thread - too big to screw into a British BB shell. Things get more tricky if it's French as similar size, but both sides RH thread again.

... and the reason why English 1.37 x 24tpi ones are the most popular is that with Italian (36mm) and old French (35mm) threading, you have to get Schwarzenegger in to tighten up the fixed cup, as R/H threaded ones tend to work loose. :cool:

It's just occurred to me that BW might have made Raleigh-threaded parts as well as BSC. The difference is in the thread pitch: 24tpi for BSC and 26tpi for Raleigh.

I think it's unlikely to be Raleigh-threaded, but if you have problems fitting it to a BSC frame, it's worth checking with a thread guage. If you don't have one, you can use a known BSC cup to compare.

The diameter is fine, as the Raleigh is 1 3/8-inch (1.375) but with 26tpi pitch, this will start OK but bind after a few turns on a 24tpi shell.

Thanks guys. I guess it must be English.

The bottom bracket shell is only 66mm across. Does this mean I'll need a 2mm spacer to fit any kind of modern BB in there? I'm hoping to refit the Bayliss Wiley, but the cottered chainset I have is a nightmare to fit!
Cheers
Gareth

Also, I've just replaced and greased the bearings, and it's still pretty rough to turn. The threads in the bottom bracket shell are fairly worn, so I think I'll need to install a cartridge BB instead of loose balls.

Any suggestions?! Getting fairly hacked off with this... :x

on the old (bayliss wiley too as it happens) bottom bracket tip - i have a suspicion that my spindle is bent - is there a way to check without removing the cranks? it's cottered and i don't think i can take the hassle..

the reason i suspect it is that it feels slightly.. "wrong" when pedalling but perhaps there could be other reasons for that too?

Back