muscle pulling ;o)

daj

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
Might need moving to General topic but it only seems to occur on the road bike :?

I have noticed since I am pushing myself more that the muscles that are on the very top of my legs (before joins bum) hard to decribe but at the back/inside of the leg. After about 20 miles they are starting to pull quite bad :cry: even to the point on Saturday where I could hardly walk up the stairs after the ride but its gone within hours and out riding again Sunday on the Zaskar with no problems :?

Any ideas? :?

If it doesn't happen on yer Zaskar, then stand them side by side and see if there's any major differences in saddle placement/angle etc......., and also think about differences in shoes and cranks atween the two.

For a second there I thought it was the old one about a crab who went looking for a woman on the beach.....

He pulled a mussel too!

However, look at the length of the cranks and the pedals you use too! I know you use Time on the tractor, what's on the road bike?

Mark that joke is BAD !! :LOL:

Hopefully wont be raining tomorrow night will match the bikes up

The pedals on the road bike are Keo`s

very difficult to get an accurate assessment by trying to match the bikes side by side. They have different BB heights for a start.

I reckon you should start by playing around varying the saddle height on the road bike. As a precaution start by lowering it a bit and see.

The logical explanation for it tho is that road biking is a far harder sport than MTBing ;) (dons tin helmet and makes quick exit)

don't forget to check the width of the saddle between the bikes, maybe the zaskar saddle fits you better.

The general area you describe is the attachment (or origin) of a fair chunk of muscle, mainly the hip adductors and two of the three hamstring group. The muscles actually attach to the bony bit in your bum that you sit on.

Do you get the pain in both legs or just one?

I'm guessing that as you hunch over a little more on the road bike, and your pelvis rotates forward, you're putting slightly more of a stretch on the hip adductors/hams. Try dropping your saddle about 5-10mm and see what that does. You could also try googling for hip adductor stretches and put some length into the muscles too!!

Ok done some comparing ....

Roadbike measures half and inch shorter from centre of BB to top of saddle and 3/4 of an inch from centre of pedal to top of saddle :?

@Studentbob , Its both legs .... Right first then the left follows a bit after

I think it could be that you just stay seated in the same position on the road for longer. You don't duck and weave like you do off road. Even if you don't need to, change up/down a gear and give it beans every now and then.

I think you have already found the answer - the saddle appears too low. If anything, road bikes have the saddle slightly higher as there is no need to slide off the back when riding.

I'd try to duplicate your MTB saddle position exactly as a first step.

Typically the lower bars of a road bike gives some discomfort in the lower back for the first weeks (around the top of the pelvis) as these muscles are used to support the body much more than on an MTB. You could try raising the bars (flip the stem perhaps).

Back