Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:07 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 918 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92  Next

How did you find retrobike?
Google Search 63%  63%  [ 64 ]
Link from a friend 15%  15%  [ 15 ]
Social media (facebook, twitter, google+) 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Print media 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
Another bike site 14%  14%  [ 14 ]
Something else 8%  8%  [ 8 ]
Total votes : 102
 Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:50 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Hi, Björn here from Sweden.

36 years old, bicycles have been my main interest since 2011. I ride road bike, cyclocross and mountainbike. Found this site when I started to look at vintage road bikes again (I have owned a 70's Crescent Världsmästarcykel before) and now when I've bought one I thought I might join.

My current bike is a Visom, an 80's road bike built here in Sweden with a frame from probably Daccordi, will show the bike in another thread. Other bikes I own is a De Rosa Superking R with fully Dura-Ace and a Pashley Guvnor. The other bikes is not worth mentioning.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:46 pm 

Hi - Paul from from Oxford, UK here, am about a year shy of 50, had been a casual cyclist for years, but got more serious about cycling about 10 years ago when I bought my Hewitt Cheviot tourer, and started doing regular long weekend social rides, as well as the odd tour in France, Czech Republic, Scotland etc. (also daily commuting, shopping etc. on it). I also got rid of my last car then. I also own a Brompton

In the last year or so have started to get more interested in faster riding (and getting fitter) and have been thinking about joining a club, also doing some sportives, but can't bring myself to buy a modern alu or carbon road bike and have always loved the look of classic lightweight steel road bikes, so recently placed an order for a Mercian Strada Speciale frame in 853 Pro Team,tubing, which as there is a waiting list, should probably get just about in time for my 50th birthday... I also have a love of silver Campagnolo components, and have been gradually acquiring bits to go on it, mostly from the early to mid-2000s (10 speed), though some newer bits too. Hope a "new" Mercian still counts as "retro" (the Strada Speciale design certainly is) and that I will be welcome here.

The hard bit is, I still haven't been able to make a final decision on the paint job for the Mercian....though am getting closer to narrowing it down.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:01 pm 

Hi all,
I'm Conor in Ireland. Most of my cycling these days is just a couple of km to and from work, on an old Royce Union workhorse frame & forks but with fairly modern parts.
I still have an old Olmo Competition that I used to race on as a teenager, so when I decide to go out for a spin, that's what I use. It's time to give the Olmo some major TLC; I'll post on that separately anon.
Best Regards,
ConorD

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:06 am 

Morning all,

Just came across site. looking forward to reading loads. Father in law gave me an old Raleigh super course that needs some tlc. Could be a long term project.

regards

DM

Post subject: Re: new on the forum
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:36 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Hi there,
Newcomer on this forum and blogs.
Hope to enjoy and give some advice sell and buy some good stuff.
Like steel Roadbikes and MTB.
Some titanium maybe..
Diving a Gazelle Champion Mondial myself
Cheers Valentijn

Post subject: Introduction
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:11 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Hi,

Long time cycling enthusiast, live in Denmark, from the UK.

Was a bike mechanic as a Saturday job, in the early 90s.

Have ridden and/or raced most kinds of bikes, now I just commute, tour and go for the odd blast on mountain bike or road bike.

Current project is a Fondriest steel bike, year unknown, made of Columbus FXM tubing. A lot of work required!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:15 am 

Hi I’m Derek,

I just got back into cycling after almost 50 years after my fitness fanatic wife wanted a cycling partner as she was a bit nervous going out by herself. I bought a Specialized Roubaix Elite and soon got the bug so the bike was quickly upgraded with new wheels and Ultegra Di2. After a winter in the gym I got my weight down to 70 kgs and in June went with a group to the Pyrenees, the highlight of which was my ascent of the Tourmalet.

My thoughts quickly turned to classic bikes of the type I lusted after as a teenager but couldn’t afford. After searching the internet I picked up a 1970’s ‘Coppi Campionissimo’ on Italian eBay with Campagnolo Nuovo Record RD and Campagnolo everything else apart from the handlebars which are 3ttt. It’s in great condition although the rear rim was damaged so I sourced a pair of NOS Ambrosio Montreal tubulars on Spanish eBay and have just had them built up.

My only issue is the gearing! I live in the Cotswolds and there are hills everywhere, I even live on a hill! The chain rings are 52/42 and the biggest cog I can get into is 25. I look forward to posting questions on options to address this ‘problem’ other that just toughening up!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:36 am 
Gold Trader / MacRetro rider
Gold Trader / MacRetro rider

Welcome aboard everyone!
Make yourself a cuppa, take a seat and have a browse through the threads then jump right.

Jamie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:09 am 
Dirt Disciple

Hi I am Tim,

48 living in Hemel Hempstead.

I have been interested in road bikes and building them for last 35 years.

I first became interested after watching TdF TV coverage in France in early 80s.

I was overwhelmed by shops such as Paolo Garbini's Soho shop and seeing a Battaglin in the window of Evans Waterloo in the red, white and blue of Roche's Carrera 87 bike.

I grew up in Stockton and would spend hours at Jack Taylors watching Norman build the frames and Ken put on the components. I used to get given all the empty campag boxes - why didn't I keep them!

When I moved to London as a medical student I had custom built 653 condor frame which I built up. I used to build my own wheels in those days! The colour was the team colours of Condor Olympia Sport with smoke effect - but green instead of the team red, just to be different!

I used to hang out at Bell st cycles of the Edgware rd where there was a lovely Brazilian mechanic.

After my condor was stolen, which I never got over, I managed to see Tom Board (after he had stopped building for condor) in his basement under the ladies who ran the All Saints rd shop. He built me another frame, bless him.

I spent the next 30 years collecting bikes, high end bits mainly italian.

Gradually getting more and more space to keep all this precious gear.

It took until now before I was able to come to terms with the fact I was not going to get round to all those fantastic projects I had in mind. More so I was finally emotionally ready to start letting go of some of my stuff!

My problems began I started selling a few bits on eBay only to find dealers where buying for a few quid and then just putting them back on eBay but 10 times the price! I was gutted not because of the money but I had imagined people buying them who had the joy and interest in road bikes as me, for some project or other - or just for the beauty ( I am thinking my delta brakes and zonda deep section alloy wheels here!)

I was so pleased to find somewhere for those people who love road bikes as much as me.

You will be glad to know I managed to get another condor, a red team issue Olympia Sport in cda complete with cda delta brakes direct from ex rider! It is too big for me but too similar to my green one not to buy it!

Anyone interested in late 80s to 90s road stuff let me know! I have so much not sure where to start.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:40 pm 

Hi folks. I'm from Herefordshire and have been cycling more or less forever, with a break in my 30s when I got fat and took up smoking instead! Back on my bike nowadays and have a small collection of bikes from the eighties and nineties, including a Cougar road bike, a Cannondale tourer and a Dawes Audax giro which I use as my commuter and general hack (and which is the one I'd keep if I had to have just one bike!). I've also got an original Kona Lavadome in bits on the shed and my wife has a1983 Orbit tourer of some sort which is how I come to have registered here as I'd like to find out more about it. Pictures to follow once I've found my way around the site, looking forward to browsing.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 918 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92  Next