Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sun Dec 11, 2016 11:10 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 785 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 79  Next

How did you find retrobike?
Google Search 60%  60%  [ 56 ]
Link from a friend 15%  15%  [ 14 ]
Social media (facebook, twitter, google+) 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Print media 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
Another bike site 15%  15%  [ 14 ]
Something else 9%  9%  [ 8 ]
Total votes : 93
 Post subject: Retro Northern
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:02 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Hi all, I've been riding bikes to work for 15 years and have just picked up 2 retro road bikes. I'm wondering whether to convert the Dawes to single speed? Anyway, I love bikes and anything with wheels...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:03 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Hopefully after this post I can then show you some images

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:03 pm 
Dirt Disciple

The Dawes is a Lightning

and the Raleigh is a Stratos

Post subject: Hello
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:02 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Recently joined I mainly mtb, but have a road bike gathering dust.

Dynatech Voyager Commuter 21" frame - Bent top bar, Suntour suspension forks (A-stem 1 1/8") , LX rear mech and changers and 8 speed wheels, LX V-brakes and levers, original campag front mech and chainset..........apologises at the time I did not realise that my "upgrades" were not authentic!

Giant MTB Medium frame, XT changers, Hope 6ti and Hope Mini brakes.

I brought my second hand road bike about 10 years ago it is Eddy Merckx with Campag Avanti 8 speed ergo's and 7 speed SACH's block, Shimano 600 chainset................I am just updating it so that I can ride it, now has Xenon Triple front & rear mech, Centaur triple chainset.......8 speed Campag Atlanta 96's on the way.

Based in Plymouth.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:04 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Hello Everyone.

I started cycling in 1985 onboard a steel Falcon. This thing weight about the same as a family hatchback but kickstarted my love for bikes that still endures.

I suppose I would be describes as a "serious" cyclist(?). I train quite hard & race throughout the year. I'm also doing La Marmotte this year & L'Eroica too. I'm based in Doncaster & ride for Dinnington RC. This is great as one our sponsors is Universal Cycles...a retro emporium.

The current fleet:

Ribble Winter hack...heavy, dependable & usually dirty.

Giant Anthem X2...off road rocketship. Gets crashed, raced & never misses a beat.

Scott Addict R1...Dura Ace 7900, Zipps, light.

The reason I'm here...1985 Raleigh/Panasonic. Reynolds 753, full Super Record. A truly lovely thing. The ride is sublime & if you have the legs suprisingly rapid. It gets used but never abused, even ridden it on the odd chaingang! I'll never sell it.

Bike i wish I'd never sold...1994 Eddy Merckx. Columbus SLX in Telecom colours. It had an early Chorus ergo groupset & it looked stunning. I didn't have the cash to buy it outright so got the frame & added the other bits over the winter.

Andy.

Post subject: Hello newbie here
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:49 pm 
Devout Dirtbag

Hello I have never managed to date to find a road bike that i feel at peace with but not through lack of trying!
i have had a 5 speed arena a ten speed scorpio and a banana by some notingham based company begining with R
a lemond a couple of scotts and a dawes londoner that i converted to flat bars

at this point I went all dirty and got into mountain bikes and went through the sintesi thruster and dna big bone hardtail style of bike

short foray into bmx and snapped a couple of mongoose frames in half

tiny bit of downhill on full suss gts and intense

a pashley trike

a brompton

now i make my own bikes after finally buying a tig and making a jig up
i still havent got a argon filled cabinet yet so i cant weld ti but it's on the cards.

I only have 1 road bike left which is an original carbon softride with a steel 25" frame with ally forks but I am scared to death of riding it as it was rated for 210 lbs 20 years ago and I float around there depending on how hard and fast I ride.

I recent years I have gone a bit single speed and do wonder why i ever needed more than 3 gears in the first place.

I still have the dawes londoner( the only standard bike I own thats above 20lbs) ,DNA big bone the kona kilauea and two gt zascar's all with their flash bit's on them so mabye i will always be a mtb rider at heart.

in the weird part of my garage i also have an 5 foot high ally tallbike an extracycle and a trice so there is infinate variety and i have to choose every day what i buzz of to the workshop on to teach others how to build and repair bikes.
regards
Darren
I found this site looking for more bits to build even more bikes that i really don't need but keep on trying to make my perfect steed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:00 pm 

Hi,

My name's Malcolm and I've just registered after lurking around here for a while. Having not owned a road bike for about 30+ years, I've picked up where I left off and have recently discovered the wonderful world of retro steel.

My modest road bike stable consists of an early 80s Saracen (pre mountain bike days) and a 1970s Nelsons Cycles machine (they were a LBS and framebuilder, but closed some years ago). Oh, and a rod braked Pashley Roadster.

Cheers for now.

Malcolm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:19 am 

Hi fellas,

Just introduced myself on the mtb forum, but i also ride a late 70s Carlton Grand Prix.

It's currently in single speed commuter guise, but i'm thinking maybe another retro road bike is needed for a project.

I look forward to chatting to you guys, and maybe even doing some events.

Cheers
Matt

Post subject: Hi!
PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:30 am 

Just found forum and registered. After a long gap returned to cycling regularly, buying a very cheap mountain bike off ebay-spent a year riding that (and mending/replacing all the bits that broke) I decided that it would be fun to get a bike like I couldn't afford when young-so persuaded the wife that a vintage bike would be a great idea for Christmas-so acquired a Dawes Galaxy (Ebay again). Spent several months cleaning off the thick coat of icky oil a previous owner thought would be a good idea (requiring total disassembly) and rebuilding-now nearly finished.
In the meantime, I visited a local charity shop and found a row of mountain bikes, and, hiding at the back, a Kalkhoff 10 speed (Coupe du Monde I think). On asking I was told "you can have that for a tenner!". I thought the shiny steel mudguards would look good on the Galaxy, so I paid up-and having ridden it, decided I would feel guilty taking it apart-so now there's two!

Post subject: Hi!
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:42 pm 

I'm just getting in to riding, my flatmate pointed me here because he got loads of good advice from people here when he was building his road bike, so I thought I'd give it a go...
I'm in Bristol (lots of hills) so I'm looking to move to something a bit more practical. I'm hoping to do a bit of a rebuild on a classic road frame, and I've posted a thread about a bike I'm going to look at tomorrow, I'd really appreciate it if some of the more experienced folk on here could have a look and give me some advice!
Cheers, hope to be chatting to you all a bit more soon!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 785 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 79  Next