Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:29 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 774 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 78  Next

How did you find retrobike?
Google Search 62%  62%  [ 56 ]
Link from a friend 15%  15%  [ 14 ]
Social media (facebook, twitter, google+) 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Print media 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
Another bike site 15%  15%  [ 14 ]
Something else 7%  7%  [ 6 ]
Total votes : 91
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:04 pm 

Hi guys. I'm about to start a thread asking advice on my bike, thought it'd say hello first.

I'm from Guildford and I've always loved to be on a bike. I was big into my mountain biking as a teen but then a fully chrome carlton racer off a friend and it changed the way i thought about riding. Sadly that bike was stolen :evil: But I soon had another and it's been across the pond and back with me and i'm now very sentimental towards it :)

Hope to see you guys around on the forum!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:09 pm 

Hi guy's just heard about this forum so I thought i'd sign up. Just a quick intro. I'm Andrew and 19 so not the usual retr cyclist :P Now for the interesting part the bikes. I own a raleigh pro (91) although it does have newer parts on it to improve its performance. I also have a raleigh clubman (mid-80's). A Tierney thats just a commuter. A Ephgrave road No.1. And my dad has a Roy Thame with original dura-ace kit. A rather long list i must admit. sorry for the essay.

Post subject: Hi, everyone.
PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:04 pm 
Dirt Disciple

My name's Jolyon and I live in Bath, UK.

I haven't ridden a bike for years but was recently asked to clear out a garage for someone who was moving and in it were two 80s road bikes, a Raleigh 501 SL which my son now has and a Raleigh 531 lightweight hand built which I'm keeping. They came with a few boxes of bits from the 60s to the 80s as well.

I want to rebuild mine into a useful machine with a mixture of old and new parts but as I am totally out of date with the world of bikes I will no doubt have a load of questions to ask along the way. So, I was pleased to find this forum.

If there's a work in progress topic I'll post some pictures etc.

Post subject: greetings
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:35 pm 
Retro Guru

41 yr old male from south staffs..

rides mtb mainly but is suddenly dabbling in road bikes (so i did a hello thread in general chat as well to save me saying hello in all sections LOL)

happy to be here and hello to everyone :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:01 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Hi, I joined the forum last week and have just noticed this thread so thought I should introduce myself.

My name is peter and live in ballycastle northern ireland and love getting out on the bike to keep fit.

I enjoy working on bikes and have recently made myself a single speed racing bike from a vitus frame I had lying in the shed. Its ok but has a chain tensioner on it to accomodate the shimano freehub and vertical dropouts.

I have also just acquired a vintage dawes galaxy road bike with horizontal drop outs. This is going to be my winter project so that i can enjoy cycling about the town with the kids on a lovely retro style single speed bike.

I have posted a thread on the retro road bike forum looking for any advice tyeps.

your replies and comments will be greatly appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:53 pm 
Devout Dirtbag

Hi, I'm Daniel.

I live in Norwich and am into road cycling. I have a few year old Dawes Galaxy (about '07 I think) a MTB which my brother is currently using and a Full carbon Orbea.

I built the carbon one up from a frameset and really enjoyed the process. I then decided I wanted to build another and something with a little more style.

so I searched and found an ALAN frame recently and so ended up here looking for info on it.

I'm going to be building it over the next couple of months.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:55 pm 

My name is Marc Taylor, I'm 28 and from Shropshire, UK.

Completely new to all this but keen to build myself a sexy retro bike.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:27 pm 

Just to introduce myself, Ron Parkinson from outside Boston in the former colony of Massachusetts. My most common vintage ride is a Raleigh International or a Competition Mark II. I have a lot of others as well and do most of my own work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 6:06 pm 
Retro Guru

Hey, I'm John,

I posted a question a couple of days ago, and just noticed this intros thread.

I'm English but ended up in Belgium, not a bad place to be for a bike fan.

I've recently developed an interest (growing into an obsession) for vintage bikes, having found riding a 1980's steel frame bike I bought for commuting more pleasant than a modern alu-carbon one.

I've collected a little stable of projects, some more promising than others: here's a list of the more interesting things I've got up to now:

-a 1970's George Pintens bike with columbus tubing and Shimano 600 components. Mid-range but a nice bike, and Belgian! I'm trying to get this done in time for the Retro Ronde Van Vlaanderen in 2011.

- A 1970's-80's Mino Denti frame. Trying to scrape together some Campy components for this, would like it to be all Italian

- A mid-70's Alan Super Record, but with Shimano Arabesque drive train.

- What might (I hope) be a Kessels from the early 70's, still trying to ID it properly, though.

Thanks for reading this, I'm pretty new at this vintage thing and at using forums, so I hope I don't commit any blatant errors of etiquette.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:19 am 
Dirt Disciple

Hi, I sold my classic Rossin a couple of years ago (Mavic SSC, GP4's etc) and have regretted it ever since. Feeling the need to return to the warm bosom of the 80's bike

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 774 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 78  Next