Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:11 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 784 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 79  Next

How did you find retrobike?
Google Search 61%  61%  [ 56 ]
Link from a friend 15%  15%  [ 14 ]
Social media (facebook, twitter, google+) 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Print media 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
Another bike site 15%  15%  [ 14 ]
Something else 8%  8%  [ 7 ]
Total votes : 92
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:24 pm 

Hi, im from utrecht the netherlands and love reading this forum but never posted.. Never really needed, as i could find the answers to many of my questions here. But that has changed, recently i bought a new frame which i can't identify..

I'm looking forward to hearing your opinions about one of my frames for once!

koen

Post subject: Hello
PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:49 am 
Dirt Disciple

I like this idea of an intro forum but missed posting here first and immediately got engaged on a few of the fora.

My avatar is a link to my ancestry and the term originally coined to describe the awesome capabilities of the Finnish middle and long distance runners of the early 20th century, in particular Paavo Johannes Nurmi.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paavo_Nurmi

He was a key influence on my father, who was part Finnish, was brought up in Helsinki and witnessed many of Paavo's successes. The spirit and influence of the 'Flying Finns' (easier than the Finnish Lentävä Suomalainen) came to me by osmosis. The term was subsequently used for a number of other Finnish sportsmen (but as far as I can tell never for a cyclist!)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flying_Finn_%28sports%29

I was brought up in Devon and have been interested in cycling since the early 1970s. I was primarily a Roadman until the early 90s when I finally discovered the advantages of a different frame layout and specific equipment for trail riding. Most of my riding is still on the road but I do a reasonable amount of off road riding and a fair bit with the family on simple trails and tracks - particularly in the New Forrest.

What attracted me to this site is the retro aspects, one of my keenest interests is in all aspects of design, artistic, graphic, industrial, architectural and specifically product design. In this I believe in function over form and believe that for much of the past 20 years too many products, particularly in the cycle industry, have been more about form over function. That is not to say that I am against development, particularly of new materials, but often new products seemed to be developed just for the sake of a different look, and sometimes with designed in incompatibility with previous variants - Shimano seem to have finally learnt this lesson!

I believe there is a greater purity of design in the earliest phase of development of the bicycle. Technological development through the 20th to 21st Century has compressed the timespan over which a new product goes from being experimental to full operational and functional effectiveness; hence the more rapid development that has occurred with suspension bikes (first patent for rear suspension in 1892!).

I am also greatly intrigued by the relatively recent greater viability and effectiveness of internal hub gearing; furthermore how such devices can be used to produce internal gearing for bikes. I hope to start a project in this area soon.

For those of you who have viewed my posts so far I have only just exchanged my early chainset avatar image for one more appropriate for the avatar name and explanation given above.

flying finn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:44 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Hi, I'm Phil and have just joined having found Retrobike as part of my hunt for parts / info for my 1989 British Eagle Randonnee which, after years of abuse, I could not bring myself to scrap so am now in the process of restoring / rebuilding. I'm determined to get the accushift system indexing properly for the first time in the bikes history so I may be in for months of frustration
Not a member of any clubs. I'm purely a leisure cyclist although quite like the idea of taking the old bike touring again.
Apart from the Eagle I've just got myself a second road bike based around a Fort 2X1000 frame and Shimano 600 brakes & drivetrain.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:45 pm 

Just Bought a 90's Giant Cadex 980c with 105 STI levers and Brakes and Dura-ace Drive Train.

I also own a 1990's Raleigh Dyntatech Encounter MTB and a 1999 Specialized Rockhopper Comp A1 FS. Both bought new at the time...now Retro...where has the time gone?

I'm after details on the Giant and advice on a few upgrades. I used it for 2 triathlons this year and its the first road bike I ridden since 1990 when I traded in my Dawes Imperial for the Dynatech MTB.

Rob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:36 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Hi

Just joined after lurking for a while! I commute to the station on my Raleigh Rapide (18-23 steel) which is slightly heavy but high quality and has performed faultlessly. My interest in retro bikes has developed over the past year or so.

My other bikes comprise a Raleigh Quasar (would like a Pulsar too if anyone's got one!), Raleigh Dynatech 705, Townsend Eclipse and a 1999 Specialized Rockhopper.

Regards

Tim

Post subject: Great site, new member.
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:51 pm 

Hello everbody,
I have been into cycling for quite a few years and own a few decent modern racing bikes. however, I have become increasingly more interested in older and classic machines. I remember the days when i used to struggle up hills on my Elswick Hopper Whirlwind and wonder what it would be like to ride a top quality bike of older eras.
my dream is to refurbish a bike from 1961, plenty of chrome and racing lightweight. for starters I have bought a couple of cheap late 70's bikes to do up, just to get some experience. My first project is a 1977 viking Superstar 5 which I have just completed at a very modest outlay.
The bug has bitten!
Andy.

Post subject: hi
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:28 am 
Dirt Disciple

Friend told me about the site. I am from sunny scunny in lincs and I like bikes and cycling. Currently restoring a bob jackson with campag 50 aniversary group on it. I have some other bikes too, Road, Mountain, track etc. I will no doubt post pics as I get round to it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:32 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Hi there, My name is Paul, in my early forties and I'm currently riding a Dawes Stratos steel framed road bike. I've had the bike for a few years after buying it from a mate of mine. I rode it for a while mainly commuting to work until I bought a Wilier Sestriere frame form a mate of a mate. I didn't know the age of the Wilier but guessing 1995-2005 area, alu frame with carbon forks and carbon 1" steerer tube. It rode beautifully, until 2 years later I found a crack in the tube that runs from the headtube to the BB. Gutted!

So now I've gone back to the Dawes and I'm loving it even more now than when I first bought it. I've set it up with a pannier rack for my commute to work rather than carry a rucksack.

What a great forum, keep up the good work mods. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:32 pm 

Hi

My name is Ian returned to cycling in the late 1990s after a 30-year break. I have an Orange P7 in polished finish. In latter years I have become a roadie and still ride my old Trek 2300 with updated modern wheels and compact Chain set as my winter bike plus a Carbon summer bike. Hope to build a Steel retro / modern bike some time

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:21 am 
Dirt Disciple

Hello

My name's Paul, I'm from Aberdeen in bonnie Scotland. I didn't even know this forum existed until a couple of days ago, glad I found it though, it's brilliant!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 784 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 79  Next