Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sun Sep 25, 2016 1:18 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 769 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51 ... 77  Next

How did you find retrobike?
Google Search 61%  61%  [ 55 ]
Link from a friend 16%  16%  [ 14 ]
Social media (facebook, twitter, google+) 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Print media 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
Another bike site 16%  16%  [ 14 ]
Something else 7%  7%  [ 6 ]
Total votes : 90
PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:29 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Hi all. I'm 35 and have been into bikes every since I was a kid. Sometimes casually, sometimes a bit more seriously. Commuting, leisure, a bit of mountain biking.

I've owned a whole bunch of bikes and have twice had £800+ mountain bikes but as a road cyclist these days looking at retro bikes as I struggle to get excited about the space-age machines in bike shops and I don't think I've ever enjoyed cycling more than when I had a couple of inexpensive Raleigh racers as a kid/student.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:45 pm 

Hi

Im Jeff from Kent and I have a problem. Im addicted to bikes. Currently own mainly modern road bikes but am tempted by a 1996 Colnago!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:55 am 
Dirt Disciple

Greetings from the great white north and by that I mean Canuckistan.

I have what I think is a rather decent little collection of bicycles and most are vintage... the oldest is a 1951 CCM and the newest is a 2006 Surly Pugsley.

Between those there are another 23 or so bicycles.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 6:23 pm 
Retro Guru

Hi, I am Ian and I live in Leicester. I love rebuilding things and have started to rebuild bikes in the last couple of years. I started after a very long break from building bikes when I was in my teens. Well over 30 years. I am about to buy a Raleigh Pursuit. It does not need much, just a seat post and saddle. I have restored a Probike, which I kept it orignal and just bought tyres and tubes and new cables for it. I had a Raleigh equipe which needed sand blasting and repainting but I sold it as I was restoring a Raleigh Twenty, which I am now trying to sell so I can get a decent bike to ride.
I have been looking through the site for some time before I joined as I had a Jensen and wanted to know something about it. When I googled it, this site came up but there was not much about the bike, but I found out it was an American built bike. I placed a rack and panniers on it and sold it.
I have learned a lot that I had forgotten over the years and still learning as new parts are being made which I have no idea about and have to learn from youtube mainly. I had to learn about threadless headsets for starters. lol.
I joined one forum but the response to posts is almost non existent.
I hope to be doing more bikes as time goes on.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:01 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Hi, I'm Andy. I have found some really useful information and some lovely bikes on here.

I own a 1985 Peugeot P10M Premiere that I built up myself from an old Raleigh Pirsuit that was too small for me and a frame I found in the garage. I have just inherited my dad's REW Reynolds as it needs a bit of TLC and he won't use it any more so I thought it was time to introduce myself...

Attachments:
2013-11-23 12.29.39 copy.jpg
2013-11-23 12.29.39 copy.jpg [ 459.38 KiB | Viewed 301 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:03 pm 
rider | rBoTM Winner
rider | rBoTM Winner

[quote="ian.allen2"]Hi, I am Ian and I live in Leicester. I love rebuilding things and have started to rebuild bikes in the last couple of years. I started after a very long break from building bikes when I was in my teens. Well over 30 years. I am about to buy a Raleigh Pursuit. It does not need much, just a seat post and saddle. I have restored a Probike, which I kept it orignal and just bought tyres and tubes and new cables for it. I had a Raleigh equipe which needed sand blasting and repainting but I sold it as I was restoring a Raleigh Twenty, which I am now trying to sell so I can get a decent bike to ride.
I have been looking through the site for some time before I joined as I had a Jensen and wanted to know something about it. When I googled it, this site came up but there was not much about the bike, but I found out it was an American built bike. I placed a rack and panniers on it and sold it.
I have learned a lot that I had forgotten over the years and still learning as new parts are being made which I have no idea about and have to learn from youtube mainly. I had to learn about threadless headsets for starters. lol.
I joined one forum but the response to posts is almost non existent.
I hope to be doing more bikes as time goes on.[/quote

Hello, welcome to the forum. You were looking for Jensen and discovered it was American? That's odd. Are you sure it wasn't one of these?

http://www.classiclightweights.co.uk/bu ... lders.html

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:05 pm 
rider | rBoTM Winner
rider | rBoTM Winner

Gandromedus wrote:
Hi, I'm Andy. I have found some really useful information and some lovely bikes on here.

I own a 1985 Peugeot P10M Premiere that I built up myself from an old Raleigh Pirsuit that was too small for me and a frame I found in the garage. I have just inherited my dad's REW Reynolds as it needs a bit of TLC and he won't use it any more so I thought it was time to introduce myself...

Welcome to the forum. That's nice, your Dad a big lad then? Must be 25" at least. Strip it down, clean and polish/T-Cut, new bar tape and away you go. :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:26 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Old Ned wrote:
Welcome to the forum. That's nice, your Dad a big lad then? Must be 25" at least. Strip it down, clean and polish/T-Cut, new bar tape and away you go. :wink:

Thanks Ned, it is about 25". I'm 6' 2" so a pretty good fit, dad is a couple of inches shorter but long legs.

Not far off, it needs at least 1 new rim and new bearings all round. I would also like to replace the front brake as I broke the original when I dropped the bike about 10 years ago (weinmann 605), and it has a Raleigh left crank as dad cracked the original Sakae (but it's proving tricky to find one for a reasonable price).

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:27 pm 

Hi all!

My name is Nick, I'm 28 (as of today!) and I live in Loughborough. I learned to ride relatively late, when I was 14, but didn't stop pedaling since! If I'm not sitting down, I'm on my bike, you'll rarely see me walking. I currently have 3 bikes (see the picture below), but because of lack of space, I want to sell one of my racers. I wrote a more detailed post in http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... start=1048 and would appreciate feedback from this forum.

I traveled and lived in many countries and I had the chance to ride some interesting bikes. My first ever bike, the one I learned to ride on, was a Romanian Pegas Compact folding bike. (similar to this one: http://img.studentie.ro/Vand-bicicleta- ... -Pegas.jpg ) I moved on to 700c right away with my grandmas bike, a Swiss 60s/70s Allegro 3-gear (Sturmey Archer) (similar to this one: http://www.ricardo.ch/kaufen/sports/rad ... 711865260/ but with straight (and very narrow) handlebars, which were fitted later by my grandad. The 3 gears were broken, and the bike was stuck in 3rd and I couldn't find anyone to fix it. Getting it going was difficult, but once it got going, it was gone! With narrow handlebars and high gear it was good for going fast in a straight line, which is what I grew to love. Since then I was only riding 700c road/touring bikes and occasionally Dutch-style city bikes and 2 mountain bikes, which I rode during my work abroad. Some include a 70s Peugeot PX8 (similar to this one: http://www.revelo.at/ebay/peugeotpx-138 ... -61794.jpg ) and the one that I have at my parents' place, the 1970s West German Bavaria Lindau touring bike (see below), which is rusty but rides well when I'm visiting my parents. Like most of you I'm a fan of old bikes and I like spending time restoring them (or getting them restored, when it's beyond my abilities and facilities) and giving them new life. I hope you enjoyed my little cycling history and I'm looking forward to your replies. Cheers!

Attachments:
File comment: From left to right: Trek Manhattan, Raleigh Corsa, Raleigh Kellogg's Pro Tour
20131126_103842.jpg
20131126_103842.jpg [ 175.34 KiB | Viewed 457 times ]
File comment: Bavaria Lindau
IMG_0012.JPG
IMG_0012.JPG [ 67.54 KiB | Viewed 457 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:28 am 
Devout Dirtbag

I'm Michael, I'm a 19 year old Mechanical Engineering Student living in Aberdeen. I joined last week but did not find this thread until this week. I have loved cycling since I was about seven and the bike that got me into classics was a purple 1974 Shopper I rode when I was 10. I have 21 bikes, on my very last day of high school one of the teachers said to me he would always remember me as the boy who cycled to school every day, sometimes with a different bike for every day of the week :D the road bikes among these are a Raleigh Team Banana,

a Gold Falcon racer with union jack decals (in a state of dis assembly for restoration, a red Peugeot sports Recorde du Monde (written off in an accident involving a tree and my collarbone, currently being split for parts)

and a project condition Marin Sausalito.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 769 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51 ... 77  Next