Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sun Oct 23, 2016 4:55 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 772 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49 ... 78  Next

How did you find retrobike?
Google Search 62%  62%  [ 56 ]
Link from a friend 15%  15%  [ 14 ]
Social media (facebook, twitter, google+) 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Print media 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
Another bike site 15%  15%  [ 14 ]
Something else 7%  7%  [ 6 ]
Total votes : 91
PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:14 am 
Old School Hero

My Lemond.

image.jpg [ 105.19 KiB | Viewed 499 times ]
PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:39 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Finally got around to taking a picture of my 1994 Fausto Coppi.

I love it, rides like a dream, thought it was a little big for me at first it's a 54 and i'm a smidge under 6ft, so it shouldn't be, think its just coming from a more relaxed Mtb riding position to be honest.

I melt into it now, only change since getting it has been a tyre upgrade, the Vittoria pro teams it came with began to puncture and the rear side wall developed a lump.

So i've plumped for some nice retro looking veloflex masters in 2.3 flavour, to add, even more yellow and a little more comfort.

I'd like to update the bar tape, but I am loathed to dispense with the coppi branded original!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 2:52 am 
Dirt Disciple

I'm Simon, mid 50s from Guildford, Surrey.

I've recently re-started cycling after some 25 years. I used to have a Falcon Majorca back in the 80's which I used for commuting and pleasure rides around the back lanes. Then work got silly and some toe-rag nicked the Falcon.

This time round the aim is to get fit again and enjoy the riding. Only trouble is my legs aren't what they used to be, hence the username! It's going to take some time to regain my climbing legs, I need them for the Surrey hills. I may have to resort to compact gearing.

I've got a tatty Dawes Fox which I've pretty well sorted now. It runs just fine but is a bit heavy and feels just slightly too big. So, I've just aquired a Raleigh Ritmo which is one size smaller, quite a bit lighter and feels easier to ride. I'm just starting the rejuvenation process on that one. I'll post in Readers Bikes section some time.

Many thanks to all on here whose knowledge I've been making use of while I've been lurking the last month,

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 4:06 pm 
Dirt Disciple

James, also from Guildford (coincidence!) and about to embark on the rebuild of a Raleigh Record Sprint as my first road bike for 25 years. Here it is, straight out of the previous owner's shed:

Previously I had a Raleigh Discovery in 1989 and took a break when I discovered driving a few years later. Since then, mainly mountain bikes, including:

Giant Box Shock - got stolen from Guildford Rail Station

Replaced by Giant Terrago, sold a few years later

Replaced by a Giant XTC 2.5, stolen from outside my flat two months later.

Replaced with a Specialized Rockhopper Pro, sold earlier this year

While owning that, I treated myself to a full suss, a LaPierre X-Control 310

And I also built this up into a Alfine hub hardtail

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:06 pm 

No longer content to be a serial Lurker, I'm posting a few pics of my older stuff. I just finished building the Alpinestars this afternoon. Thanks very much to this forum for all the info I've found. Particularily that regarding the Alpinestars.

File comment: 92 Alpinexcross Campy 10 speed shifters on Shimano 8 speed XTR cassette. Strada Bianca 30c tires.
Alpinexross1 .JPG
Alpinexross1 .JPG [ 230.27 KiB | Viewed 406 times ]

Alpinexross2.JPG [ 210.61 KiB | Viewed 406 times ]

File comment: Thanks to Stephen at Fibre-Lyte for doing me up a carbon inner plate for the XT mech.
Alpinexross4.JPG [ 136.62 KiB | Viewed 406 times ]

File comment: Peugeot PK12
IMG_4053 resize.jpg
IMG_4053 resize.jpg [ 115.47 KiB | Viewed 406 times ]

File comment: Hercules Kestrel
Hercules.JPG [ 54.12 KiB | Viewed 406 times ]

File comment: Super Champion Rear Mech.
IMG_3280.JPG [ 74.26 KiB | Viewed 406 times ]

More Later. Time for bed on this side of the world.
Best Regards

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:07 pm 

Hi people, I'm a Sussex based rider who has too many bikes, too many hobbies and too little time. The retro bikes list is 2 Viking severn valley, a Youngs, 2 Allins, 2 A.L.A.N.s (one track bike) a Holdsworth, a Harry Quinn and a Merlin tandem awaiting a rebuild. My road bike stock is a Ciocc, 2 Pinarellos, a Bianchi, a carbon Giant, an Orbea, a Ribble (my time trial bike) and a Claud Butler and a 531 Raleigh the last two being my commuter bikes. Oh and I've a Kona MTB which is my 'Tesco' bike.
I'm not going to list the motorbikes and cars or surfboards (other hobbies). But my double garage is full and so is the shed.
I've just brazed on new Campag ends on my latest Viking frame, the old Benelux ends were in a pretty bad way and I'm in the throws of painting it chrome yellow with light blue panels. I have an early Campag chainset, Gran Sport rear mech and matchbox front changer for it. Also an early Campag seatpin and steel Record headset and Mafac Racer brakes with Il primo bars and stem. I'm either going to ride this or my Youngs on the Retro Ronde in Holland next year. A few pics . . .

classic racers 001.JPG
classic racers 001.JPG [ 260.05 KiB | Viewed 407 times ]
classic racers 004.JPG
classic racers 004.JPG [ 258.26 KiB | Viewed 407 times ]
Viking Campag ends 005 (640x480).jpg
Viking Campag ends 005 (640x480).jpg [ 268.43 KiB | Viewed 407 times ]
classic racers 003.JPG
classic racers 003.JPG [ 254.67 KiB | Viewed 407 times ]
PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 7:32 pm 

I bought this today, initially i was thinking of a project singlespeed bike, but it's in really good condition so i may keep it as a retro bike with a few small upgrades. It's a Saint Bernard, need to research what i bought. Thoughts? Anyway for 80euro either way i'm happy
DSC00111a.gif [ 433.06 KiB | Viewed 401 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 3:56 pm 
Dirt Disciple

I'm Jon, I've just posted to try and find out what my retro touring bike might be.

I can't beleive how much time I used to spend in the car when I could have been riding my bike!

Got a few bikes but nothing really worth writing home about, a scott mountain bike, a giant road bike, a cheap folder which I just got back after it was stolen after I spotted the scumbag selling it on ebay, a hybrid which is about to be sold and a the newest love of my life my (probably 70's) retro touring bike which looks pretty crappy but is the best bike I've ever owned.

Pleased to be here. I found the forum while trying to find out more about my new old bike.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:05 pm 

Hi , I'm Ade,
I've been into cycling on & off for years , got beang into it again in 2010 when me & a chum decided it would be idea to cycle Land send to John O Groats , since than I have bought a mountain bike , living by the south downs its good exercise , though it's my least used bike
my favourite bike is a Pashley Guv'nor ( please don't throw rocks at me) but from riding that for a few years I want to now get a vintage/classic racer .
I thought I had found the perfect cycle , Raleigh Record Ace 1984, the chap on ebay said it was a 23.5 , It arrived today its 24.5 !!.
It rides nice ,but as its my first road racer style cycle it seems a tad big , there is only 1,5 inches of seat post out , I'm 32" leg and 5'11"

This looks a terrific site , looking forward to finding out lots .

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:02 am 

Hi Ade, your Raleigh Record Ace is, as you thought, much too big for you. The 'experts' reckon a good size guide is your inside leg measurement less 10" so a 22" frame would be much better for you, and I would imagine the top tube dimensions would be better suited too. So get back on ebay and how did you do on the LE/JOG?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 772 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49 ... 78  Next