Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Fri Dec 09, 2016 6:27 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 785 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47 ... 79  Next

How did you find retrobike?
Google Search 60%  60%  [ 56 ]
Link from a friend 15%  15%  [ 14 ]
Social media (facebook, twitter, google+) 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Print media 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
Another bike site 15%  15%  [ 14 ]
Something else 9%  9%  [ 8 ]
Total votes : 93
PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:36 am 

Hey guys, Just signed up to the forums.
My real name is Richie, i`m from Scotland.

I`m here as i`m interested in owning/building/buying a classic steel bike, i have been on the Mercian frame builder app (that thing is addictive :-)) and have been looking at Bob Jackson`s website also but keeping my options open for a second hand bike or frameset also.

Hopefully with your help i`ll own my dream bike for hitting the country lanes.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:34 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Ayup retrobike folk,

1st post (on a forum ever) . . . I've joined as I'm finally starting to appreciate some of the older bikes, both road and MTB. Even attended my first cycle jumble at the weekend and left clutching various retro parts all for under a tenner. Bikes in various states of restoration and advice may be needed :-). Aside from newer bikes I have the following lurking at home:

1. 2000 Stumpjumper FSR Sworks with pace RC40 forks
2. Early 90s Marin Eldridge Grade ready for fresh powdercoat. Nice fluro orange forks and flexstem.
3 A couple of 70s MKM 531 road bikes. One good with 600 arabesque and the other in need of TLC and respray

Life's regrets . . . getting ride of:
1996 Specialized Stumpjumper with RC 36 forks
1980s Saracen Conquest with biopace chainset/brooks saddle . . . gave it away!

Right . . . I'm off to check out parts for sale for my Marin project.

Simon

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:23 pm 

Hi guys,

I'm Jamie; been riding classic bicycles out of choice for approximately 4 days...
I used to crash around on cheap tip find racers, which in retrospect were pretty cool retro bikes imo... Wish I still had one!

Bought a Hercules Commuter, for... Guess what? Commuting to work on.
That was where it all went terribly wrong.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:55 pm 

Hi everybody!

Here I am, Carlos from Spain riding in lots of diferent bikes from 1990...
Classic Kona fan, I had a '93 Hahhanna, '96 Kilauea and now a road Honky Tonk (Campagnolo Centaur) and 2010 fixed Band Wagon.

Greetins form Spain, and excuse my english!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:32 pm 
Gold Trader / PoTM Winner / RB Rider
Gold Trader / PoTM Winner / RB Rider

Hola!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:05 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Hello All,

First of all, many many thanks to John (The Guv) for assisting me in joining here.

Me; I'm a 40 something bloke with a Wife, two Kids, two Cats and a Dog! Like many of my age (I guess) I've done the mountain bike / hybrid thing with the kids over the last 15 years or so. Just out doing a bit of recreational cycling with the kids and or dog, nothing serious at all.

However a month ago ('ish) I had a life changing event in so far as I somehow managed to survive a Cardiac Arrest. These are the ones where people just drop dead and not the age related heart attacks caused by furred up arteries. They strike with little or no warning, are due to dodgy electrics in the heart and the survival rate is about 5%. By some miracle I survived :D

I am now fitted with a device known as an ICD (Implanted Cardioverter Defibrillator) which is a fancy pacemaker. It is a box of tricks that sits under the skin of my chest with leads that go, via a vein, into my heart. It sits there and listens and will provide low back ground anti tachycardia pacing as a first line and will give full on defibrillator shocks if needs be.

The downside to having this is a six month driving ban on medical grounds. This has meant I've got back into bikes in a big way :!: :D

My bike history is typical of a child of the 70's and teenager of the 80's and reads something like this;

Raleigh something or other kids bike circa 1974
Raleigh Chipper circa 1977
Raleigh Grifter MK1 circa 1978 (I don't know if the MK1 is correct)
Raleigh Grifter MK2 Circa 1980 (the one with the sparlee stickers)
Raleigh Olympus '5' speed racer Circa 1982
Peugeot Equipe '10' speed racer Circa 1984 (carbolight 103 or whatever... I loved that bike)

That is was it for a while as my attention switched to cars for a few years.

Raleigh Gritstone mountain bike circa 1994 (a heavy heap and got stolen in 1999)

Raleigh Pioneer Trial Circa 2000, a really nice bike that my eldest son is now riding, Ali frame and half decent components (by my standards anyway) Picture below;

Giant Roma Circa 2010, Current bike, it just works, pic below.

Now...........Post the driving ban, I had a yearning for some 80's 'racer' action, so have recently aquired;

Peugeot Equipe (exact same bike I had as a teenager but this one is red, the one I had was blue. It is the same year, 1984 and everything :roll: )
I'll start a reader bike thread on this as I'm going refurb bonkers on it and have a few questions. I know these are considered as being a bit rubbish but my original one brings fond memories.

Also got a SunSolo, not sure on the date of this but reckon early 80's. My eldest son has taking a liking to this bike.

Thats it for now except that I'm glad I didn't out and buy some soul-less modern racer thing.

Anyway, again MANY THANKS TO JOHN and thanks for having me.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:49 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Hello all

just subscribed to the forum but have been watching for a while. Been racing road bikes since the 90's with varying success and owning a few different ones (most of which i now really wish I had kept) and enough parts to make my millions now, however all i have left is 1989/1990 Campag Athena groupset that i am going to fit to a 1990 peugeot athens 653 frame I have just got, after 23 years of wanting one!

still have some modern bikes too and get the miles in but have decided to build a blast from my youth, although my son isn't overly convinced by a violet/pink coulourscheme just yet!

need a few parts as well as advice so may see my name popping up a bit, be kind I'm new!!

and fully intend to get out on one of the rides with the peugeot when its built - still have my Z jersey from 1990 and it still fits!! shorts went long ago though.

Cameron (Giamaco on the boards)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:37 pm 

Sup everyone!

I'm a young budding cyclist at just 17 years old and have joined this forum to basically learn everything I can. I've been riding for a few years now but have always been quite narrow in terms of my knowledge of bikes. I no how to build/fix one and the big brands but thats about it.

I currently ride a single speed as my everyday bike and am currently working on a restoration of a Black Diamond race bike.

I hope I can fit in amongst the rest of you keen cyclists and hope to learn a lot.

Thanks! :D

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:09 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Hi folks

Thought I would register here for some help and advice. I recently acquired (FOC) an early nineties Peugeot Altus PR500 in pretty much mint condition... still has the black finish in perfect nick on the rims.

I'm very new to roadbiking and older bikes, so bear with me here :-).

So... I hope this isn't going to sound overly heretical here, but there's a few changes I want to make. I should have maybe come here first before ordering but hey-ho.

Anyhoo... here she is. Only been out a few times and it's such a different experience to the MTB I'm used to

Attachments:
bike.jpg
bike.jpg [ 232.43 KiB | Viewed 730 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:07 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Hi all
Can't believe I've never found this forum before!
I'm Jas from north east UK.
early 40's, family, career, MTB's etc... the usual I guess. I did LEJOG a few months ago and now I'm after a 70/early 80's road bike for some sportive/audax type rides, I also like tinkering with anything mechanical in the garage/gym/mancave :) . Hoping to do L Erocia in 2014 if I'm lucky with the selection process.

My current bikes are a Ghost Lector RT carbon full susser and a Edinburgh cycles tourer that I commute on most days.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 785 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47 ... 79  Next