Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:24 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 784 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46 ... 79  Next

How did you find retrobike?
Google Search 61%  61%  [ 56 ]
Link from a friend 15%  15%  [ 14 ]
Social media (facebook, twitter, google+) 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Print media 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
Another bike site 15%  15%  [ 14 ]
Something else 8%  8%  [ 7 ]
Total votes : 92
PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:54 pm 
gold | rider | rBoTM
gold | rider | rBoTM

Hi folks , thought I'd join this forum as I've recently built up a retro-styled bike . Does that count ? I'll let you decide . I put together a 631 tubed Bob Jackson straight forked bike , with10 year old 9 speed Ultegra ,a square taper b/b - chainset combo , wheels built by me ( with real cup and cone !)hubs and a Rolls saddle . May only be a year old , but still gets heads turning ! Also have an OCLV Trek that I've had re-sprayed white as it was in Discovery colours , but the less said about that the better ! :facepalm:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:02 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Hello. I wanted to join because all of my new road bikes have turned retro on me. I've been riding and racing for many years and have been called a retro grouch for most of those. I actually have a modern mountain bike but my newest road bike is from 1993 I believe. I actually got it out and road it this morning for the first time in about 10 years. It felt surprisingly nice! And fast! I'm going to post some pix of it later. I have already introduced myself on the mountain side also.. Looking forward to seeing all the cool old bikes and the stories that go with them.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:27 pm 

Hi folks new here.

I currently own a Raleigh Record Sprint (1991) which i intend to get back on the road, requires new rims and tyres everything else is original and in pretty good condition.

Am i right in thinking i cant get any higher than 6 speed due to the width of the rear frame or can it be altered.

Anybody that has changed the gearing on one of these let me know what you did.

Cheers

Happy cycling!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:17 pm 

Hi my name is marc
Ive just joined this site for a bit of info/help about my father in-laws bike

Its a blue Claud Butler dalesman
He is wanting to sell the bike but has no idea how to value it?
Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

Thanks.....Marc

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:59 pm 
Old School Hero

Hello - well, my name's Drew, I live in South Manchester and a bike has been my main means of transport pretty much ever since University, but I've just bought my first racing road bike since I was about 11. It's a 1986 Raleigh Competition, with Reynolds 501 tubing and pretty much non-original components. I'll start another thread asking lots of silly questions about that, but the Raleigh makes me a three-bicycle household. That's along with my Peugeot 3-speed tourer with curved handlebars that weighs several tons, and my almost new Decathlon hybrid, which is great on canal towpaths and doesn't.

Bicycle maintenance is something that I've always paid other people to do, but I've bought the Raleigh with a view to doing it up myself and I've realised I've an enormous amount to learn and hopefully here's the right place to do it.

My first bike when I was a kid was a maroon Peugeot single-speed bike with drop handlebars, then a Townsend hybrid with Reynolds 501 tubes (one of the last Townsends, I think), then a Puch Elegance 3-speed which was upgraded to a 4-speed Sturmey Archer when the original wore out, which was then stolen a few months later. And then the Peugeot to replace that. Oh, and a Claud Butler hybrid which I bought new in 2006 when I moved to Somerset, and then swapped with my mate two years later to get the Peugeot back when I moved back to London. I know that was financially daft, but I loved the Peugeot, it was brilliant around town, and had a much higher top gear than the hybrid.

Oh, and I rode from London to Bristol via the River Thames and the Kennet & Avon Canal back in May (which was why I bought the hybrid) and I've got the bug for cycle touring now. I'm planning to cycle from coast to coast at the end of the month - either from Whitehaven to Newcastle or along the newer route from Morecambe to Bridlington.

Has anyone got any strong views on either?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:36 pm 

Hi, I'm Trevor, just got back into cycling again after a long bout of laziness driving my car around. I missed the open road and getting places under my own steam so decided to get another bike. It's a Falcon Voyager, formerly a tourer but after a bit of tinkering it's now a racer. Can't find much information on the webz about the frame construction wheels gears or much else to be fair. I know it was hand built in the 80's but that's about all I know. Heres a couple of pics of before and after tinkering. I'm going to try and get a bit of use out of it before the winter, when I will be stripping it down and treating the frame to a new paint job.

Before

After

Still a few bits needed. Namely pedals and toe clips, new bottom bracket and seat post, might look into a new crank set. But almost there. I have loads of questions about this bike so I will post them in the correct part of the forum.

It rides really nice.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:32 pm 

Hello
Im from Harrogate ive just bought a Raleigh select 600 of ebay and cant wait to pick it up 8)
ive been looking for a retro racer for a while and pounced on this when i saw it
i hope i have made a good choice,
can anyone tell me anything about it?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:27 pm 

Hi there, I'm Dal and have just taken ownership of Raleigh Record Sprint. She's as old as me! In a bit of a sorry state so I'm hoping to find some info here and fix her up. Any advice welcome..... :)

Attachments:
20130819_181322_resized.jpg
20130819_181322_resized.jpg [ 169.93 KiB | Viewed 334 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:34 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Hi there! I'm new to this forum and joined particularly to maybe get some help in identifying an interesting frame I bought on ebay.co.uk weeks ago. It has fancy lugs and there are embossed letters which read FELL on the downtube.
For those interested, I have created a set on my Flickr page:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/63973975@N ... 958593232/
Anyway, apart from that mystery I'd like to solve, I'm sure I'll be spending a lot of time round here reading and learning (and, hopefully, writing) about vintage bikes in general and British ones in particular. I am Italian btw, though currently living in Germany, and already member of similar Italian, German and French forums.
So, if you are struggling with Italian or German information on your beloved bicycle, I'll do my best to help you out.
Thanks!
D.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:23 am 
Dirt Disciple

Hi guys
Been given a falcon by a guy at work with 531 frame and record high flange hubs been doing so work to it few upgrades as most of the parts were knackered could anybody tell me anything about the bike not sure on the year on model but any info would be great
I've added the rear dura ace derailleur tyres saddle bar tape cable change the wheel, I will rebuild a set using the record hubs for nice weather chain new chain ring chain brakes and a few other bits
Hope the photos work
Cheers Jack

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 784 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46 ... 79  Next