Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:25 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 772 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45 ... 78  Next

How did you find retrobike?
Google Search 62%  62%  [ 56 ]
Link from a friend 15%  15%  [ 14 ]
Social media (facebook, twitter, google+) 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Print media 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
Another bike site 15%  15%  [ 14 ]
Something else 7%  7%  [ 6 ]
Total votes : 91
PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:34 pm 

Hello all,

Thought I'd better drop by and say hello. Found the forum, excellent BTW, whilst looking for a s/h bike, but acquired one from ebay.
Started riding in late teens/early 20's on the Lancs/Yorks border so it was a bit hilly. Now living in a much flatter (North) Essex. Graduated through a couple of s/h bikes but my one of my first pay packets bought a metallic green Motobecane, can't remember the model, but it was stolen from my parents garage about 20 years ago. Bought a cheap MTB after that but hankered for a replacement for the Moto. Just bought a Diamondback Master. It's a fraction too big for me but better than the rest of the s/h stuff I've seen locally, I will have to put some pics in the Readers Rides, but can't seem to find much on the web about DB road bikes.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 4:49 pm 

Unashamedly copied from the MTB section:

Hello All,

I've read bits and pieces on the site on and off for a while, but thought I'd better make the effort to join up properly.

I'm from Halifax and, being from Yorkshire, tend to run old kit untill it gives up the ghost and even then repair it rather than replace it.

In the garage there are a few retro bikes; GT Edge and Planet X Little Audrey road bikes along with a Pace RC200 F2 singlespeed, first incarnation Intense Tracer, a Whyte PRST1 and a Gary Fisher Aquila.

They all get ridden and the component age depends on whether and when anything broke.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:47 pm 

HEy all!

I'm Matthijs from the Netherlands. Found this forum when i was trying to find out how old my metallic red Flandria bike is (so lets see of there's any ino about that kind of stuff on this forum). It's quite rusty and all but I'm planning to fix it and make a small eurotrip. I got no experience at all but I'm just going to take it all apart and see if I can get it back together again. Might have some questions at some point :D

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:14 pm 
Dirt Disciple

hi all

i've just popped over from the mtb forum as i have just started a few vintage road bike restos and was wondering if anyone could identify one of my projects

i've been told it could be a bates or a raleigh but can't find any identifying numbers anywhere

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:31 pm 

Hi - stumbled over this forum whilst looking for a frame restoration/upgrade company near to Cambridge.
I ride a mid-1990s Paul Donohue 531 road-bike with various bits of Campag on it.
It's been getting me to work and back everyday since and is now looking a bit tired :-(

Any recommendations on a restorer within 50 miles of Cambridge, please

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:18 pm 

Hi, been registered on here a while, name is Mart. just got round to having time to input something I am uploading a pic of my raleigh royale mixte. NO IT'S NOT A GIRL'S BIKE! : :x
I have several bikes now including a couple of ten speeds, a single speed pug, an old fixed , and my two rockhoppers plus my kona cindercone rebuild.
The mixte is a cool town bike, not one for riding in anger, rather nice to ride when I go out with my mrs. on a gentle country ride.
the 700x40 tyres just fit nicely, and the flat bars and stem are not original, ex a specialized rockhopper.
hope to put some more pics up soon.
cheers, Mart.
well, couldn't upload cos of file size too big. try again later.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:17 pm 

ok . Hi again, managed to download a pic of my raleigh mixte, must be a better way though. :?:

File comment: mixte Martynz
IMG_0146.jpg [ 165.2 KiB | Viewed 267 times ]
PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:54 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Hi all,

Been looking forward to posting my first post on here.

It was about 30 years ago I got into cycling seriously, unfortunately I never went as far as competing even though I had many people telling me to. I used to get out on rides with Teesside Clarion which was probably what made me doubt my ability and why I probably never competed. I rode along side a future, Olympic, Commonwealth and World Champion who you will all know as Chris Newton.

I was introduced to the Clarion by ex cyclist and bike shop owner Colin Armstrong. I had just bought myself a Raleigh Criterium Triathlon 12. Not the best of bikes around at the time but I loved it. I bought it off my cousin who had only owned it 6 months. He bought it to help him get fit as he was going in the army. When he finally got in, he no longer needed the bike so he offered me it for a bargain price of £25.

The first time I rode with the Clarion it is fair to say I was not at my best due to a heavy session on the beer the night before. After about 15 miles we hit a bank and I hit the wall. The guys waited for me at the top but I told them to go on and I will go home.

Lesson number 1, don't ride full of last nights beer.

I went on future rides but these guys where so fit compared to me that they constantly dropped me. Chris Newton was up and coming and he was incredibly fit and fast and he left almost everyone. These lads were all about 3 years younger than me and I just thought I would never get to their level of fitness. I eventually stopped riding with them which is something I regret.

Any way I rode using my Criterium for around 8 years. My cycling days sadly came to end due to lack of time and the fact that I got into motorbikes. I sold the bike not long after.

Fast forward almost 20 years and here I am, getting back into it. My car decided it didn't want to start so I borrowed a MTB (Voodoo Bokor) to get to work till the car was sorted. I have loved it. That was back in March this year. 2 weeks ago my son who is 12 said he would like to try cycling properly. So I have arranged for him to borrow a road bike (known as a racer when I was 12) and if he likes it I will buy him one.

I decided the MTB was not going to be suitable so went on the hunt for the bike that gave me so many memories, another Criterium Triathlon.

I found a few on ebay 2 of which were priced at way more than I was prepared to pay however, one had a starting price of 99p. I bid and I won it for £34.01p

Very happy. I feel like I will be meeting an old friend and can't wait to get to work on cleaning her up and getting her looking as good as she did back in the day.

Looking forward to posting on here, it is an incredible site and sorry for the long winded post

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:20 am 
Old School Grand Master

The forks have the typical shape of Bates diadrant forks..........Raleigh never copied them and not sure any body else did. Seems like a good find :D

Have a look on the classic lightweights site ... bates.html ... ates3.html

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:49 am 

Hi retro bike,
found my self here due to a chap recommendation to look for vintage bike stuff here.
im from Malaysia though. Perhaps one fine day i'll be riding with you guys in UK or Malaysia. (we are on summer mode all year long).
great forums!! happy pedaling!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 772 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45 ... 78  Next