Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:33 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 783 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43 ... 79  Next

How did you find retrobike?
Google Search 61%  61%  [ 56 ]
Link from a friend 15%  15%  [ 14 ]
Social media (facebook, twitter, google+) 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Print media 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
Another bike site 15%  15%  [ 14 ]
Something else 8%  8%  [ 7 ]
Total votes : 92
PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 8:50 pm 
Devout Dirtbag

Hi

My name is Rob from west London and I am attempting to build and early 80s Basso Gap...

I have only just got into vintage bikes. The bike may soon be my only companion as my wife is getting increasingly unhappy with the oily parts lying around the house :)

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 9:11 pm 
rBoTM Winner
rBoTM Winner

Wow only one old bike and alredy in trouble - sorry to hear some of the cads on this site have, ahem, a few more than that.

Any way welcome to the forum and post some pices

Steven

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 5:29 pm 
Dirt Disciple

A great pleasure to meet everyone at yesterday's ride from Church End Brewery.

By way of introduction, I should explain the Harry Porter avatar. Karl grumpycommuter's fault. "Have you got a photo of yourself?" indeed. I should have smelt a rat.

The beer which the clip advertised was of course the loveliest drop there has ever been. If you missed it, look out for Pew's Porter which is a stronger confection in the same style.

In the shed:
Godwin, 653, 1993
Claud Butler International Club, 531, 1951
Specialized Sirrus, aluminium, 2008
Probike Voyager, hi-ten, 2002
Global hardtail, titanium, 2006

...And the crashed and rusty remains of the Dawes Shadow which has been mine since I was a schoolboy. It'll be the next project if I ever finish tinkering with the others.

Thanks to all for yesterday's entertainments.

Cheers,

Ken

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 5:43 pm 
rBoTM Winner
rBoTM Winner

Well I was not at the brewery, being half way round the planet, but welcome to RetroBike. BTW love to see some pics of that Claud Butler.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:55 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Thanks Lewis. I accept that the Atlantic is an obstacle even if you pedal really hard.

I have got some snaps of the Claud which I will post to the proper thread once I have found it. The original owner did quite a lot of work to it during its first incarnation but an eyeful of period bits survive.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:02 pm 

Hi

I'm Ian in Farnborough, Hampshire. Trained bike mechanic but make my living in an office. Like steel bikes and got back into cycling road bikes via touring holidays with my wife.

I started on road bikes about 3-4 years ago with a Venom in Columbus tubes as an interim solution that's a bit big for me (all stripped down now). Spent lots of time on eBay buying up Campag components and fitting them. Recently found another slightly smaller Venom, this time in 531 with Cinelli lugs so moved everything over.

Suddenly got nostalgic today and remembered the bike I bought on HP in the late '70s aged 13 was an O'Brien Concorde. Found a thread with some pics of one here at RetroBike.

Want advice on wheel building or any wrenching issues be happy to help. Also a whizz at finding info on t'Internet in case you've drawn a blank.

Cheers Ian

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:15 pm 
Gold Trader / PoTM Winner / RB Rider
Gold Trader / PoTM Winner / RB Rider

Thought I'd better say hello to the road department as I will be needing lots of patient advice and guidance fairly shortly. Was on the Brewery ride (pootle) on my marin.

For a full explanation please see viewtopic.php?f=23&t=259880

HELP! :facepalm:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:56 am 
Retro Guru

I think that this is the appropriate place to post this - formerly posted in off topic chat. I am a long time lurker and have been meaning to register for ages...and have finally got round to it.

I am a recreational (I suppose) cyclist from Kent, mainly day touring and short rides around local loops on the Kentish Weald - I don't have enough free time to do more. I have half a dozen bikes - a 1990 Raleigh Royal for touring and winter rides, an '80s Raleigh Clubman purchased from a forum member a year or so ago, a Cannondale R500 that doesn't get that much use as it is made from Aloominum toobs (actually it's a pretty good bike and I should ride it more), my favourite bitza based on an Aerospace frame with Roberts 531 road forks for which Gil M provided the decals, a Carrera MTBeater to ride to the shops in the village, and my current project based on a 1969 Pat Hanlon Criterium frame. I recently got this on the road in a pretty tatty state, the idea being to shake it down over the summer and have the frame refinished next winter - so far so good; it's a lively ride! I'll post some pics when I get organised.

I hope to be able to make a bit of a contribution to the forum, learn a bit more about 60's & '70s bikes and perhaps find some bits for future projects.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:33 pm 
rBoTM Winner
rBoTM Winner

once aging welcome Martin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:02 pm 

Hello, just bought my first 'old' bike, an '81 Claud Butler Sovereign from one of my neighbours, who hadn't ridden it for 15 yrs. I'm planning to restore it. My big dilemma is the frame colour, which is a horrible faded metallic bronze. Can't decide whether to respray it or go down the 'originality' route and just live with it. The craftsman in me wants to respray it, as I think I would enjoy the process, and the aesthete agrees, because the colour is truly awful. My purist side, on the other hand, wants to keep it as original as possible. Any advice welcome.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 783 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43 ... 79  Next