Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sat Dec 10, 2016 7:49 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 785 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34 ... 79  Next

How did you find retrobike?
Google Search 60%  60%  [ 56 ]
Link from a friend 15%  15%  [ 14 ]
Social media (facebook, twitter, google+) 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Print media 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
Another bike site 15%  15%  [ 14 ]
Something else 9%  9%  [ 8 ]
Total votes : 93
 Post subject: Hello!
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:26 pm 
Old School Hero

Hello, I'm Garry and I've been lurking here for a while now. I did previously update an 80s Falcon tourer in a new/old way to give me a comfortable all-day 531 ride that some of the purists will probably hate. Image and link to follow...

I've now gotten hold of a Raleigh Gran Sport frame and fork, which I'm going to be a bit more sensitive with and I need the assistance of the expertise which y'all have. I'll start a build thread in the appropriate place...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:26 pm 
Old School Hero

Here's what I'm talking about - old skool meets STIs:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1144607467 ... directlink

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:20 am 
Dirt Disciple

Hi,

I am currently sourcing parts to turn an old gaspipe team banana into a fixie and have been reading the site quite a lot recently and seem to be looking at retro bikes with much esteem.

So, I have decided to give myself a budget of between £400-700 to equip myself with a ride.

I'm thinking an Olmo would be nice, or maybe something like a Fausto Coppi...

Any suggestions would be ace as I'm just not 100% sure yet.

No rush on buying it, but I would like to get on it before the roads start icing up :)

Post subject: Re: Equipe Restoration
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:56 am 
Dirt Disciple

Meejoir wrote:
Does anyone know the best way to thread internal cabling back through the top tube? It seems to be a rather tricky job!

When you remove the old one, attach some fishing line to the end and pull that through the hole. Then leave the fishing line in while you work on the frame (I tie a couple of washers to the ends to stop it coming though unwanted). Then when you are ready to thread the new one, just tie the line onto the new cable and use it as a guide, remembering not to pull the line, incase you pull too hard and pull it off. Just push the new cable though, using the line as a guide.

Maybe there is another simple method, but I've done this way for years and it's never let me down.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:11 pm 

Hello to the board.

My name is my moniker, JensM.

I`m a Norwegian male in my 40s, I used to do a lot of what I belive you fellows calls "rough stuff" with whatever bike I had in the late 70s and 80s. Got somewhat short shifted on buying into the MTB trend in around 94 after my bike was stolen and got something that was fitting horrible and it more or less threw me off riding for more than a decade.

For the moment I have the winter project in a case in the basement, a 64 cm Surly LHT that I planned for "a one bike to rule them all" sort of thingy, doing a British Tourer inspired build.

I then stumbled over the Cleland site and here I am... Embarassed

For the most parts cycling for me have been roller training on traxc roller with my 70ish Peugot on and off for the last years. Bought a rather nice and fitting hybrid that was stolen after 8 hours of riding some years ago and have been off outdoor riding since.

The Peugot has been in the family since new, my father bought a matched set of this bike for himself and a Peugot Mixte for my mother, its of the tourer variety and came OEM with luggage rack, lightning, mudguards and kickstands. These parts are sadly lost and so are the original tool kit in its rubber pouch. The only extra bit I have are the handbook in Norwegian.

Finding a fitting bike is somewhat of a chore as I`m a bit on the larger side, 6 feet 8 inches with a PBH of 38 inches. Combining that with a build of a retired Rugby player as well as a bad back and there are not much fitting stuff to find off the peg.

Anyhow, glad to be aboard and let the Cleland info gathering begin... Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:40 am 
Dirt Disciple

Hi, my names Matt and I......collect retro bikes..there I admitted it! They say admitting you have a problem is the first step to recovery!
I haven't been on the site for a while and last time i was here it was mountain bike related, that was about a year or two ago. Since then have come over to the world of retro road bike and since bought one of Peugeot Competition which think is a PKN10E, one of Peugeot Course PFN10 which is nearly new(found in a loft in Belgium where stored after bought believe it or not, One of Carlton Road bike(unidentified model), one of Raliegh Record Sprint with Aero profile tubing, so am pretty sure I qualify for the site lol.
But to he point that brings me here...I have a pair of Perrin Maillard hubs on Mavic Super Competition rims which are in need of restoring, is there anywhere on the site that can offer some help as don't want to end up damaging them. I here they are quite rare and am keen to use them on my Peugeot?!!!
Thanks in advance for any advice
:? :? :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:00 am 
Dirt Disciple

hello everyone, my name is frederik and I've been a long time collector, mainly road racing bikes and bits. You can watch some of my collection on my flickr page http://www.flickr.com/photos/26640300@N07/

i live in flanders belgium next to a sir called sercu if that rings a bell :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:49 pm 
Pumpy's Bear
Pumpy's Bear

Posted up at user request, more details at http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=229035

colnagolover wrote:
Hi,

Just found the forum on Google and would like to follow - possibly contribute in due course. I am located in Denmark, ride an '88 Colnago Sprint (Cromor SL tubes) with full 1st edition Camp Chorus (except pedals) which are old Look PP70s. Have some cheap toeclip pedals for use when joining retro rides. Have reached OAP age without amassing wealth so unfortunately can't collect - just enjoy others collections!

Colnagolover

Post subject: Old git in Argyll
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:19 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Evening all, nice site,

This me, we are too poor/ backwards for colour and safety gear

I am old enough to remember cottered cranks and 5 speed racers.
In my callow youth I learned on a black bike ( £3) with oil caps at the bearings and rod brakes, graduating to a purple "Nicholson " special ( £60 new 1970)5 speed racer from Nicholsons in Dundee, trashed my absent brothers ten speed with alloy rims and tubulars that came off on corners (1973), had a 1939 Viking tandem ( free from high school French teacher Don Smith who had used it for his honeymoon with a cyclemotor clip on) till I got a Motorcycle, after crashing that , I had a green 3 speed Raleigh (£5 from a flat mate in Dundee)) with fully enclosed chain for physio and commuting which was the least hassle bike ever.

When kids came along I had a 10 speed BSA tour de france (£25 from a guy at work), with a back seat for touring round tiree, my son absconded with it when he grew up eventually the drive side chain stay broke and we used the bits off it to make an old Ernie Clements frame ( £20) live again

Fixed for surf touring.
This left a space in the shed which is now filled with
this Tsunoda aero ax

which I found in a skip.

Im more of a motorcyclist than a cyclist, but I do enjoy the silence and simplicity of a thrash along a glen with no crachhelmet and leathers.
Cheers
Pod

Last edited by g eisler on Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:51 pm 
Road Moderator
Road Moderator

Hey Pod. Nice intro :D

Great skip find!!!

Where on earth is that picture taken of the bike with the surf board? Love the fact that your bike is used to get to surfing 8)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 785 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34 ... 79  Next