Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:03 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 783 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 ... 79  Next

How did you find retrobike?
Google Search 61%  61%  [ 56 ]
Link from a friend 15%  15%  [ 14 ]
Social media (facebook, twitter, google+) 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Print media 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
Another bike site 15%  15%  [ 14 ]
Something else 8%  8%  [ 7 ]
Total votes : 92
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:31 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Hi all,

Yifan from Brisbane Australia.

i'm a huge raleigh fan and have a few things.

1. 91 Moser Leader Ax (gianni bugno's 92 world champs one) DA7700 group
2. 84 Raleigh Team Replica 12 (panasonic colours) with campy nr group
3. 7X Raleigh Team SB648 753 frame (possibility of 10 speed record? group)
4. Peugeot Ultima 653 Frame with Mavic SSC Group
5. Somec Chromovelato Super Corsa Frame (Campy Mirage 8 speed)
6. Carl Wilson (Aussie Frame Builder) Track with campy record pista group

For me, why i retrofit all of these bikes with modern groupset is to ride it everyday. I commute to work on these things so not fussed if their scratched, after all, they are still bikes and are meant to be ridden.

I'm here really to learn more about retro bikes and admire the heritage some people on this forum have in their back yard!

especially trying to find out exactly what year my raleigh team bike is from.

Cheerio
Yifan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:36 pm 
Road Moderator
Road Moderator

Hi Yifan :D

You certainly need to be starting some threads detailing those bikes!

When you say Record 10 speed on your 70's Raleigh I hope you mean 5 gears on the back with two chainrings!

Post details of the frame in a thread and someone will date it for sure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:43 pm 
Dirt Disciple

interesting point you put ther Tel, I did read that you're not supposed to cold set 753 frames. I was originally thinking about a full 10 speed record carbon group for this frame, but i'm fairly certain it needs to be either touched up or resprayed and maybe cold setting it would be a bad idea. another mechanic did say it was okay to do as well. I'm a little confused.

still, haven't exactly taken much good photos of my bikes so i'll get some done this weekend and put up a few threads. :)

Cheers for the holla.
Y

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:53 pm 
Road Moderator
Road Moderator

Its not that you can't do it, its that you shouldn't do it! :)

Each to their own and secretly I think it would be an excellent combination although many would consider it to be sacrilegious!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:43 am 
Dirt Disciple

Hi,

I'm Pete. I have been a mountain biker for years but have got more and more fed up with commuting on my mountain bike. Chunky tyres and the wrong gearing mean arriving sweaty and tousled at work- not a good look.

I have bought myself an 80's (not sure of the exact date) Motobecane Mirage from ebay which is pretty original and not too scruffy. The paint has a few battle scars and I have had to replace the brake pads, chain and tyres but, I reckon I got a good deal having only paid £75 for it!

I'll hopefully be upgrading the drivetrain with better quality period bits, rebuilding the wheels and doing something to make the paint prettier over the winter.

Other than the Motobecane, I ride a Trek 91' 800 and a 12' Cube Aim Disc

Cheers!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:04 pm 
Road Moderator
Road Moderator

I think the mtb for commuting is seeing a serious decline! It never made sense anyway other than the fat comfortable tyres....

Anyway. Motobecane made some nice bikes, be nice to see a picture of yours. The only nuance with them, and many other French brands, is the hard to source French threaded parts (bottom brackets and headsets mainly but can also be pedal threads and freewheels).

On a side not I lent a neighbour one of my racing bikes to try and he could not believe the speed over his mtb. Knocked 10 minutes of his journey!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:22 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Here she is:

Not a great picture, but the only one I have at the moment!

You are right about threads and stuff. The bearings in the freewheel are nearly worn out, it is a Helicomatic job. Need to decide what to do about that as it isn't easily replaceable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:27 pm 
Road Moderator
Road Moderator

Looks nice and a reasonable spec too. Lugless always has a nice smooth look and I like the seat cluster, no mudguard eyes and chrome forks, yup that has potential. Looks like a good set of tyres too.

Regarding the wheel. Yes, hard to find the helicomatic maybe better just to replace it. Mavic rims on Mavic 501 hubs would be a good replacement keeping the french theme and 501's were absolutely superb!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:42 pm 
Dirt Disciple

I have just one minor criticism of this otherwise excellent forum - I may be nitpicking, if so please forgive me!

There is a poll at the start of the "introduce yourself" thread, asking how I found the forum. I would love to give you that information via this poll, but as a newcomer to the forum (a probable scenario, given the thread title) I am unable to vote in a poll - apparently you have to have made 10 posts before that is permitted. I could post some rubbish on other threads in order to get over this limitation, but it would be nice not to have to.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:53 am 
Dirt Disciple

Tel wrote:
Hey Dan. Sounds like an interesting project. A steel bike suitable for everything! Now that sounds like a challenge.

What frame are you basing it around?

Hi Tel....Just yesterday finished my chat with the guy at Bob Jackson and 'Uncle Bob' (for that will be his name!) should be here in a few months.

Been very impressed with Velo Orange parts, so will look to deck it out mostly with VO

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 783 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 ... 79  Next