Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sun Dec 04, 2016 1:07 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 783 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30 ... 79  Next

How did you find retrobike?
Google Search 61%  61%  [ 56 ]
Link from a friend 15%  15%  [ 14 ]
Social media (facebook, twitter, google+) 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Print media 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
Another bike site 15%  15%  [ 14 ]
Something else 8%  8%  [ 7 ]
Total votes : 92
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:21 am 
Retro Guru

Hiya! I'm new here. :)

I've gotten here via an attempt to find an alternative to commuting to work on an MTB. Get a cheap old racer, I thought! Except they're not as cheap as they were 20 years ago.. :?

I almost went back to the MTB.. almost.. I commuted the next day, pondering a rigid fork and slicker tyres, maybe better gears? Then I saw a fixie at the traffic lights. I looked at his frame with its classic good looks, and I looked at mine, with it's fat, generic, boring looks....

So now I own a rather ratty 1977 Carlton Cobra, in chrome, red, black, and rust. :D

The chrome has seen better days, and I'm not sure a 5 speed can cope with my commute, so it's going to have some component upgrades, and possibly a strip and powder coat. I'm currently cleaning up the rust to see how well the chrome scrubs up. If it's not too bad, I might keep it chromed!

flickr set: http://www.flickr.com/photos/spatuluk/sets/72157631046915008/[/url]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:15 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Hi all. I'm approaching my 60th birthday, and I've been riding bikes since before I could walk. Currently do a bit of mountain biking (built myself a Turner 5-spot a few years ago), a bit of road riding with the odd 10 mile time trial on my Giant Peloton Superlite, and a lot of road riding on my home brew hybrid, which is a Specialized Rockhopper frame with hydraulic disc brakes and 700c rims and flat bars. Very comfortable but still rolls quite well. The racing bike hurts my back so I don't ride it as often these days, and may be selling it soon.

Cheers,

Simon

Post subject: New member introduction
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:50 pm 

Hi, I'm Neil, and I've just discovered this forum when Googling "Claud Butler Avant Coureur". I live near Weymouth. I collect, restore, preserve, ride and research lightweight touring, club and racing bikes from the 1930s, 40s and 50s. My current collection includes:
1938 Langsett AM Continental (original paint and transfers)
1936 Raleigh Record Ace (original paint and transfers)
1938 Claud Butler Continental Classique (original paint and transfers)
1939 R O Harrison Super Circuit
1930s Alcyon (original paint and transfers)
1948 Claud Butler Avant Coureur first model with head and seat tube bilaminate "lugs" only on the main tubes; this model was subsequently re-named the Sport Anglais
1950 Bates BAR
1951 R O Harrison Madison
1951 Leach Marathon
1951 Claud Butler Massed Start
1953 Gillott Taper Tube
1953 Claud Butler Road Track
1955 Mal Rees Rameles
2000 Bates Volante Italia
Most of my photos are on my other computer, which has recntly died, but I've attached (I hope) a couple of pics of my Bates Bar and Avant Coureur. Pics of my R O Harrison Super Circuit, Gillott Taper Tube and W P Newton (which I no longer own) are on the Classic Lightweights website.

Attachments:
File comment: This is my 1948 Avant Coureur.
CB-reduced.gif
CB-reduced.gif [ 294.24 KiB | Viewed 2347 times ]
File comment: This is my 1950 Bates BAR.
Bates-reduced.gif
Bates-reduced.gif [ 306.8 KiB | Viewed 2347 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:10 am 
Dirt Disciple

Well I can't wait to see more of your collection I am very intrigued. Welcome to the forum! Also how did you find such a collection? especially so many that are so old and in good shape? The two you posted are beautiful!

Post subject: New member introduction
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:31 am 

Thank you! I joined the Veran-Cycle Club in 2000, and most of my collection came from fellow members, or from eBay. Hilary Stone is a friend and V-CC member, and if you're not already familiar with his website, take a look at www.hilarystone.com.

My collection is fairly fluid, since apart from a core which I don't want to part with (which I've nearly reached) I tend to have to sell some bikes to fund new acquisitions, and I've owned and disposed of more than I can remember, including a Waller, two Baines Flying Gates, Selbach, Merlin, H R Morris, Granby, R O Harrisons, Jack Taylors including a Curved Seat Tube Model and many more I can't remember. If you take a look at my photostream on Flickr, and on Photobucket, under my username Hadendowa, you'll see more pics of my current and past bikes, plus some interesting photos I've acquired over the years. I've just remembered that the 1939 Carlton Flyer on Classic Lightweights was also mine.

I find that the problem isn't so much finding these frames and bikes, but resisting the temptation to buy them when I can't afford them! [/url]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 4:15 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Sounds/looks like the VCC is the club to be in, Over here in the states we have a bit more limited resources for the old stuff so I am a bit jealous but I am always looking and the search is definitely part of the fun. Welcome and can't wait to see some more pictures of your bikes in the READERS ROAD BIKE forum. I think I may have to check out your flicker as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:25 pm 

Hello :) I`m getting back into road bikes, vintage ones, after hankering for a roadie for a while and finding new bikes prohibitively expensive. I`m really looking for a 1984 Raleigh Corsa, used to ride my brothers` before it got damaged and ended up in a dump, a long time ago. Failing that, something very similar or rare.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:26 pm 
Road Moderator
Road Moderator

Welcome to the forum :D

This Road Ace is similar to a Corsa http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=217684

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:11 am 

thanks for the heads up :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:51 pm 

Hello all,
Just joined this forum, so many nice bikes out there! I've owned quite a few bikes over the years, just love cycling. Not surprising, when you're a Dutch national :-)
I've recently moved to the UK, where cycling is not so common and even frowned upon. Still, enjoy riding bikes here and have just bought a nice road bike, which I will post soon!

All the best,
Steve

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 783 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30 ... 79  Next