Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:00 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 785 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29 ... 79  Next

How did you find retrobike?
Google Search 60%  60%  [ 56 ]
Link from a friend 15%  15%  [ 14 ]
Social media (facebook, twitter, google+) 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Print media 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
Another bike site 15%  15%  [ 14 ]
Something else 9%  9%  [ 8 ]
Total votes : 93
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:25 pm 
rider | rBoTM Winner
rider | rBoTM Winner

Bikes in work eh?! Whatever next. Looks like the furniture I used to sell. If you're near Manchester - perhaps I did!

Oh, the bike looks interesting too. Keep us informed on how you get on with it. :wink:

Post subject: Hello
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:47 pm 

I am father to a cycling son who is dragging me into this strange Lycra clad world.
Between us we have a Mongoose Hardtail MTB: Boardman CX (with a set of road wheels form Harry Rowland)and Cannondale Six13 and a mystery frame form the 1960's which I shall post about once I can put up images.
Dear Son much to my surprise has come to like Road cycling ad races with the Cannondale. Mystery frame is for him to build up his own fixed gear.
L

Post subject: Hi
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:17 pm 

Hi I'm Alex, I live in Newcastle and used to have a puch drop bar racer but sold it on as I was asking a bit much of it. Tempted now to get an old steel racer that can handle hard city riding.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:13 pm 
Dirt Disciple

I have been involved in Cyclocross racing for a few years. Here in the Netherlands near Belgium cross is great. When I needed a roadbike I chose a classic Gios Torino. A addiction was born :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:39 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Hi, ended up here after Googling my old childhood bikes and other old bikes and components. I'm currently trying to pursuade my dad to give me his early 1960's Viking fixed wheel TT bike. After all, its just sitting in his shed. Scouting the site for ideas of what I might do to it if i ever get hold of it. :P Here's my Dawes Renown i've had since new in 1982:

Attachments:
P1040299.jpg
P1040299.jpg [ 500.23 KiB | Viewed 690 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:10 pm 

Hi, I'm a 37yo bloke who's found it too expensive to run a car and has returned to cycling, I have a modern hybrid and a home brew SS, but I missed my old Dawes Ambassador that I rescued from a skip and kept for a few years till it got nicked, so I rescued a Raleigh Milk Race from a skip and bought my old childhood dream Record Sprint which needs some TLC.

Not very fond of modern bikes, the old stuff is much more interesting, IMHO of course! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:12 pm 

Hi, just thought I'd introduce myself.

Came across this site when trying to find a picture of my model of bike - currently covered in dust and hanging on the wall in my garage; actually, it's leaning on the hedge in the garden as I've just taken a photo of it.

It's a Raleigh Carlton Competition. 531 tubing. Twelve speed. Tyres with innertubes rather than tubeless. And, the strange thing - it's pale blue - sort of ice-blue, most pictures I've seen have this bike in a dark brown colour.

According to the stickers on the bike, it was built in Worksop yet when matching the serial number (WB2000449) to some other website it states that the bike was built in Nottingham.

My reason for joining this site - I am thinking of selling the bike. I haven't used it for about ten years and it needs a little work to bring it up to a condition to use - so long as I'm allowed to post pictures, you'll see that it needs new cables. Needs a new chain and probably a few other items too.

Also, my 9 year old daughter is wanting to get a bike and I don't think that I'll be able to get away with using this one to accompany her on cycle trails and what not.

If I do sell, I'll be sad to see it go. Covered many miles on it as a youth - both in a cycling club (think it was called Velo Club Cumbria) as well as around the Lake District for fun. Lovely bike to ride - light and flexible.

Anyhow, that's me (and my bike). Hopefully a picture will follow.

Attachments:
IMG_2324a.jpg
IMG_2324a.jpg [ 184.29 KiB | Viewed 2281 times ]

Post subject: Hi from across the pond!
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:27 pm 
Dirt Disciple

My name is Tim and I joined the site to glean information about my Paganini Mistral. I'm a 69 year old active rider and vintage bicycle enthusiast. You can search albums "Tim Doland" to see photos of my Paganini. I have a small business doing vintage bicycle restoration and mobile bicycle repair. Love the way the lugged steel frames feel on the road. They always draw attention while riding and it is a great way to meet people and share the sport.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:52 pm 
Devout Dirtbag

Hello I am new, and this is my journey for the last 4 month :)
My first build bike: harmony between old and new
I had many bikes in the last 2 years, but never had the one which could ‘complete’ me. Out of growing interest / hobby I’ve acquired around 2 bikes a month, and the idea was to buy them, try them and sell them, but along the way to find the one witch would suit me perfectly.
The problem was that no matter how many bikes i owned and tried none of them were quit there. One for example had very good looks, while another one had beautifully made gearing system and etc. So my idea was to take all the good bits, all the advances of engineering and merge it with vintage/ classic steel frame.
The more i read and the more I have asked in regards of the frames: i got nearly the same answer. That the old frames which were build by quality frame builders are far better in quality then today’s mass production (cheap materials) frames. So i say: do research, find your frame and then put what ever component you want on it to make/ create your own ‘beauty’.
My budget was very simple- as low as possible :) (i know its not very accurate but i did not mind used or new parts as long it was low price and good quality)
I have started by collating various bits for my future bike. First part i got was barely used rear tyre :) continental gatorskin- got it for 8 pounds and collected in person the next day. Then got 5 new specialized tubes for like 1£ each. By luck and research got the rear wheel made by Easton tempest II with velomax hub- the whole wheel weights 850 grams!- i got it for £4.04 (rpr £150) the wheel was sold as damaged/ for spares, but spend couple hours on it and it is like new/ish condition.
After long waiting i managed to find my frame, it was yellow/ red 23.5 colubmus slx frame made by ex builder TJQ- got it for £60. Week latter i bought nearly complete ribble racing/ touring bike- stripped the drive train and gearing system (shimano ultegra)- £123, but will sell the ribble frame and couple bits so should be around £65 for ultegra groupset, bb and handlebars.
Compagnolo breakes came from my recent bike sale, the brake were so perfectly working that decided to keep them for my self.
BBB CTL sadle (ti, carbon, leather) got for £6.90 and weight is only 199g :)
After 3 month waiting found the front Easton wheel and managed to get it for £33 and replace sealed bearing for a 10 pounds- perfect, silky smooth wheel. So now i had a pear of Easton wheels and the weight for the pair: 1500g- amazing!
I am still keeping compagnolo wheels skewers- purely i like the look of it :)
I was nearly ready for the build apart from couple minor items missing like one tyre, couple cable- which acquired very easily from the local volunteering bike shop. What i was missing and wanted was- campagnolo headset. Managed to find a very rear one and in good state: Campagnolo Croce D'Aune Headset. Croce D'Aune was a short-lived group that was above Chorus and below C-Record. Really sweet stuff. £32.
Wright- after around 4 month researching, collecting and sourcing it was time to put everything together. Bought tub of grease, got my park tools and all joy and fun to begin. It was very rewarding to see everything coming together and the sense of achievement and pure joy of my first ride :).
The bike was solid, has 3 speeds in the front and 8 in the rear. It is fast as bullet, overtaking modern bikes with pride and at the same time have that extra gearing to clime the hills with an ease (Ditching beacon Brighton)
My bike is ongoing project, because i still need to replace bar tape (black) and front shimano mesh into ultegra to match the set.
So, what i am saying is don’t just buy a random branded modern bike from a shop, build one the way you want it with quality components and the frame which will last! And at the same time have fun and save money :)

Will upload the pictures of the bike tomorrow

Attachments:
columbus.jpg
columbus.jpg [ 22.87 KiB | Viewed 2243 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:37 am 
Dirt Disciple

As you already know, it is an ongoing project. Whether we buy a production bike or building our "dream bike" we will always want to improve or change something. Just switched my rear cassette from a 7spd to a Miche Shimano 9spd. I opted to use a 10spd set because of the freehub width. The cog set is 11/12/13/15/17/19/21/23/27. It gives a better high gear transition by adding the 12t and the 27t for the tougher hills. Always changing.
RIDE ON! Tim

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 785 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29 ... 79  Next