Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sat Dec 10, 2016 3:54 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 785 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 ... 79  Next

How did you find retrobike?
Google Search 60%  60%  [ 56 ]
Link from a friend 15%  15%  [ 14 ]
Social media (facebook, twitter, google+) 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Print media 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
Another bike site 15%  15%  [ 14 ]
Something else 9%  9%  [ 8 ]
Total votes : 93
 Post subject: Introduce myself
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 5:53 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Hello All. My name is Malc or Malky whichever you prefer.I live in the Manchester area and ride with South Manchester CTC section.
I found this site just browsing around and a thread popped up on a search. So I immediately signed up when I noted it was for proper bikes.
I love steel bikes, Reynolds 531, 725, 631 and 853 especially, are plenty light enough especially for the riding I do, which is touring and Audax riding.http://www.aukweb.net/
I own a Bob Jackson Touring bike, Bob Jackson Trike, Mercian touring, Mercian 853 Audax, Woodrup Audax, Hetchins Magnum Opus Deluxe,and an old Kona MTB.
Steel bikes can be a work of art with the fancy lug work and amazing colours. Dont run away with the idea they are all old, many frame builders still exist such as Mercian who have a 6 month waiting list on these frames, which says it all.
I am 59 yrs old now and will cycle till I just cant anymore or drop dead whichever comes first. I am now divorced, I dont want a woman as I would leave her sat in the back garden while I go out on my bike. If I met a nice cycling lady then that would be different so any out there just contact me and we can ride off together.
My car is a load of crap, but gets me around to the Audax meets etc.
Must take some pics of the bikes to put up.
Malky :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:43 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Hello all,

Previous lurker but now decided to join up!

I work for a vintage road bike website, selling thousands of vintage parts so thought it would be good to get involved over here.

I won't post the url of the site because I don't want to be accused of advertising, however we are looking at advertising on forums so I'll have to see what options retrobike offer.

Anyway my name is Jake and I'll be representing the shop.

Cheers!

Jake

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:08 am 

Hi. I'm not far from Paul in Pyrford funnily enough. In my 18 bike stable, I've a bunch of retroness. Probably best road wise are my Cinelli Naultius Squadra Course Ultra Foco (rolls of the tongue eh) and my Gazelle Champion Mondial XC now SS winter ration.

Good to be here.

Edit: guess that'll teach me to check page display prefs B4 posting then. Anyway, I meant to say, Paul for Pyrford out of page one. Cough...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 6:04 pm 
Retro Guru

Hi

I've been into bikes since I saw the Tour de France on World of Sport back in the seventies when I was a kid.

Just bought a late 70's Mercier to fettle with when the weather's bad this winter. Must admit it's kind of addictive trying to find as much information out as I can and source parts from that period.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:37 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Hello, another mid-life crisis here - but retro bikes are so musch cheaper and easier to play with than cars. Have acquired some old stuff and I'm going to be spending a lot of time in the garage ...and on here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:42 pm 
Retro Guru

davercc wrote:
Hello, another mid-life crisis here - but retro bikes are so musch cheaper and easier to play with than cars. Have acquired some old stuff and I'm going to be spending a lot of time in the garage ...and on here.

Definately a mid-life crisis thing, plus you can only get one sports car(if you are lucky) in your garage wheras you can get quite a few bikes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 12:16 am 
Retro Guru

Hi all,
39 yo Squaddie from Cambridge. Joined as the Site has popped up twice now, once while looking at info on my Specialized hardrock frame i've just bought (random late night drunken buy) and also whilst trying unsuccessfully to date my newly acquired Holdsworth. Date as in date..not... 'date' before some quip starts.. :wink:

Expect pathetic, stupid noob questions.. Ive loads of 'ooh..wonder if they'd know what/where/how/why' questions already in my mind.. Ive managed to answer most with decent searches, but there's a few left... :D

Post subject: hello
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:35 pm 

I've just joined the forum because I bought a Dawes child's bike & am rebuilding it for my daughter.

I've posted about the bike (before posting about me) :lol:

I live in Essex, but I'm originally from the USA. I've been cycling all of my life (or at least since I can remember) and the first bicycle I ever bought with my own money was 70's Raleigh Grand Prix.

I haven't done anything to repair or restore any bicycles, except for basic maintenance since I was a kid. I bought the Dawes because my daughter liked it, cheap kids' bikes are horrible, and nice kids' bikes are horribly expensive.

Oh, and I'm not any particular type of cyclist. I belong to lots of cycling organisations & cycle for transport, pleasure and competition. Our family car is a Punto & I can get almost as much stuff in the bike trailer as I can in the car boot. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 5:09 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Hi Guys
I do everything a$$ways.. Posted in the readers bikes section first !

I am 40 and used to race/time trial until I got a real job ! I got my hands on a 1988 Peugeot 501 after I came off and made a hoop of my beloved F.Moser

I am for doing a few sportives next year and a bit of racing too :shock:

I use the bike for transport as the traffic is a nightmare here in Galway !

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:35 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Hi chaps and chapesses. Registered as I am getting back into cycling after an 11 year lay-off. At 55 I need to get fit, again, and lose some weight. I've got a nickle Orange P7 mountain bike from about 1994, no suspension and toe cages, I used this for several years. I also bought a Cougar road bike second hand in 2000. At the time I was getting into triathlon and that's what it was intended for but unfortunatly I had an operation on both legs later that year and never used it, until now! And, as it was built in or aroundn 98/99 I assume it's retro? I've just ordered some new tyres, Vittoria Open Corsa Evo Sc - black with nice natural gum coloured sides, very much in keeping. Thinking of getting a Regal leather saddle, what do you think?

Regards Rich...

p.s. what years was Terry Dolan building Cougars?

Last edited by Rich5ltr on Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 785 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 ... 79  Next