Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:58 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 784 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 79  Next

How did you find retrobike?
Google Search 61%  61%  [ 56 ]
Link from a friend 15%  15%  [ 14 ]
Social media (facebook, twitter, google+) 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Print media 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
Another bike site 15%  15%  [ 14 ]
Something else 8%  8%  [ 7 ]
Total votes : 92
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:51 pm 

Afternoon all,

Found this forum after googling for 'Shimano Golden Arrow' group set.
Back in the mid 1980s I bought a 501, pearlscent white 501 framed road bike iwth full 'Golden Arrow' group set.

After a nasty accident in the Alps a year later I replace the broken frame with a 531c Road Ace frame and transfered the group set across.

I added Scott tri bars and raised stem (replacing the headset as well) and Mavic M40 rims.

I am now in the process of restoring the bike with a view to having a decent steel framed road machine ...

Looking forward to being on the baord and learnnig more about it all...

Post subject: Hello!!
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:25 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Hi I am Mike stumbled across this site after looking for some bits for my old MTB.
Cant believe just how many old skool bikers there are and all taking great enthusiasm in their prides and joy.
At moment I have a very old, red Joe Waugh 531 racer with some campagnolo kit on it and Cinelli bars. Dont know much about it, dads owned it for years but we bought it from a car boot sale about 20 years ago, all we know is that its from M.Steel's, the local (then) bike shop that the said frame builder was affiliated to. Will get some pics up as soon as I can and with some more history.
Also got an unknown (maybe triumph/raleigh)blue racer, also 531 tubes but not sure of drivetrain again will get some pics up soon, havent seen it for a while as its been at the bottom of the shed at Parents house so will drag them both back to life and hopefully with a bit of your help start doing them back up.

Cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:51 am 
Dirt Disciple

Hi
new to this forum , which I found whilst searching for info on my holdsworth bike. I am hoping to restore it back to original if possible, and will post details on the relevant forum.
thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:05 am 
Dirt Disciple

Forgot to mention that I live in New Zealand, and 3 boys under 12 years and married :)
My other bike is a yellow and black Lemond.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:37 pm 

Hi all,

I'm Innes from Aberdeenshire, Scotland. Recently saved an old Carlton road bike my dad was going to throw away. Now trying to identify it and have set up a thread regarding this.

Cheers for any help.

Innes

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 12:30 pm 

Hi. My name is Reuben and I live in Hamilton, NZ. I started collecting silly old British bikes because they were cheaper and took up way less space than collecting silly old British cars.

Until recently I worked at the local dump/transfer station/recycle site but fortunately for my hording tendencies I have moved on from there. One person can only deal with so much junk, after all. Along with a recent shift I have got my fleet down to a more manageable level.

I currently have:

A late 70s Shimano Postie Bike - 3 speed, alloy forks, and stylistically in some weird space between a BMX and Mountain bike.
A basic Raleigh 20 - my dawdle down the road to get takeaways bike - with a 2 speed Torpedo Hub.
A mid 30s BSA Sports Roadster - 80% original with evidence of a rebuild/coaster conversion in the early 60s.
And what is possibly a 1940s Hercules town bike which I am trying to find out more about, but need to try and constructively make 5 posts before I can.

That's me. Hello all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:13 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Hi, my name is Roy and I found retrobike after asking various people about early Saracen road bikes. Three people, both individuals and from large distributors, sent me here to find out more about my frame. It seems you have a bit of a reputation.

Once I'm allowed to post images I'll create a thread.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:52 pm 

Hi, I'm Yarders and I'm too tight to buy a new bike, so I keep tinkering with old stuff! I understand that this ere forum is popular and informative so will hopefully picking the collective brain soon.
I have a late 80's/early 90's Raleigh 753 made in Ilkeston, and a Cannondale M900 from '96.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:24 pm 

Hello, Mike here

Occasional visitor to Retrobike up until now - usually when someone has sent me a link to something especially interest

I'm here to pick your brains about a bike I have found... will now go and post a message about that :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 11:58 am 
Dirt Disciple

32 y/o techy / finance guy, owner of:

a rebuilt BSA Westcoast MTB (now in an all-black scheme with new black Tektro V-caliper brakes, black wheels, black brake and gear levers (dumped the horrible twistgrips) and Schwalbe Landcruiser tyres

and a 1987 Triumph gents 3-speed in blue , rebuilt with Schwalbe DC whitewalls, white grips, saddle, cables, pedals.. and looking forward to a B/bracket conversion to give cotterless cranks, better gearing ratios and a blue BMX chain

Hoping to find plenty tips & inspiration here....

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 784 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 79  Next