Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sat Dec 10, 2016 6:40 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 785 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 79  Next

How did you find retrobike?
Google Search 60%  60%  [ 56 ]
Link from a friend 15%  15%  [ 14 ]
Social media (facebook, twitter, google+) 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Print media 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
Another bike site 15%  15%  [ 14 ]
Something else 9%  9%  [ 8 ]
Total votes : 93
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:29 pm 

Hi folks, perhaps you could could advise me what to do with my rather old, but still used Sun. My wife suggests getting a new bike while I fancy the idea of brining it back to it';s former glory, if I knew where to start as I don't know too much about bikes so that reading many of the posts on this site is a foreign language. :?

My bike is a 50s/60s Sun, I got it secondhand in 1981. I ride it quite a bit and will be taking it on the sponsored ride from Manchester to Chester next week. It does look tatty, and has had various parts changed over the years that I'm sure I'll get laughed at or looked down upon next week by those more modern folk.

Now to the mystery, the bike has a Worksop headbadge, but the frame number is Z1059. I've been in touch with Peter Cowan who knows more than a thing or two about Sun machines thinks it's a Sun Alpine (sounds more like a car) built in Birmingham in 1958. So I wondered has anybody else come across or know anything about the Alpine, and what would you suggest. My quandry is what to do with it? Just keep it going after all if it isn't broke don't tamper with it, or do something much more worthwhile, but then where to start?

Attachments:
DSC02222.JPG
DSC02222.JPG [ 39.49 KiB | Viewed 1129 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:42 pm 
Retro Guru

Hi Andy, I suggest you post it in readers bikes section and put in the title, 'Advice needed' I'm not sure if many people read this thread.

Alex.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:02 pm 

Ok Alex - ta. See you learn things as a newbie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:08 pm 
Retro Guru

You're welcome. :)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:37 pm 
Dirt Disciple

I'm Andrew H, just getting back into cycling after 35 years off. I used to do Audax and didn't even have a car. 25 miles a day minimum every day, cycled everywhere.

Well I'm now well into my mid life crisis. So instead of a Harley, I thought I'd buy a couple of the old bikes I used to dream about when I didn't have any money at all, rather than just not very much.

I've just bought a 62 Harry Quinn on Ebay to build a very minimal fixed wheel, and am looking around for an interesting old touring bike to go with it. And I'm wondering why saddles seem so hard now. Don't remember my old Madison causing me this much pain.

Forgot, I found this site looking for stuff to show my dad, who used to race with Sevenoaks Wheelers late 40s early 50s. He had a Raleigh Record Ace, so the Harry Quinn seemed poetic really, as that was what Reg Harris started riding after he stopped using Raleighs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:03 pm 
Dirt Disciple

What an amazing web forum this is!

So I'm 47 and have been cycling for as long as I can remember. A roadie at heart, I used to go everywhere by bike, from leisure to commuting to continental holidays.

I got a knee injury that took me off the bike and onto other sports about 20 years ago (you know the score, the doctor tells you that you just have to cycle occasionally, and it's your number one passion, so it was a case of, if I can't do it obsessively then I'd rather not do it at all).

Then I moved to the Scottish Borders four years ago, a country that God made for roadies, with sparse population, superb deserted roads, stunning untouched scenery and winding roads that go through flat valleys by lochs and up winding passes and everything between, right on my doorstep.

I've kept bikefit on my MTB in the last few years and have been riding my spare MTB with lockout fork and 23c slicks for road use.

All this time, my old steed of the 1990s hung in the garage, unused but fondly loved for all the great miles we had together.

The time has come for its relaunch.

It's a mid-80s Raleigh Gran tour with 531c frame and forks and some handbuilt wheels that have Mavic MA40 rims and I think Shimano hubs, along with a mix of stuff like Gipiemme chainset, Shimano 105 derailleurs and Suntour dropouts and levers.

It's been well stored, hanging by the seat tube, so the wheels are amazingly as true as the last time it rolled about 15 years ago. Surface rust around the lugs and bottom bracket and some pitting on the chromed forks and stays but it's just surface stuff I think. The 52 ring is deeply pitted which led me via Google to this site where I've bought a nice one from Malc for £8, result!

The rear 6-block is Shimano 105 (non indexed). It's in the shop getting the old block (11-23, how fit was I then!!!) changed to a hill-friendly 7-ratio 13-34 along with a new set of gear and brake cables which were rusted solid.

I get it back on Wednesday and I must say I'm very excited by the prospect of getting back on my familiar old horse for another few years, not to mention that it'll be a dream compared to my "road" MTB.

I totally get this obsession that you all have with the old bikes and it's great that there's this community out there.

Finally, as someone else mentioned, it's a bit scary how the values of some items have grown, like my original Turbo saddle, I saw that used one on a recent thread that sold for £57, amazing!

Anyway, that's me!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:18 am 
Dirt Disciple

I found this site while I was Googling for information on a Raleigh Super Sport I'd seen whilst idly browsing ebay and I registered so I could tell retro-rich about it.

I'm a Lancashire boy, living in North East Essex. I was given a bike about 8 or 10 years ago. The wheels were slightly buckled after spending a few years in a garage but that was all that was wrong with it. I got the wheels straightened at my local Halfords* and used the bike spasmodically over the next few years.

Earlier this year I finally bit the bullet and realised that I would probably never be a runner again. Every time I tried, no matter how easily I took it, I'd do a few sessions then get injured. So in April this year I decided to see if I could get fit by using the bike and surprisingly, my knee injury, which was stopping me from running, actually seems to benefit from the bike exercise.

I started with a 10.5 mile route I knew from my running days. Taking it easy, I did that in 1 hour 4 minutes (I used to run it in about 1 hr 25 mins). I gradually increased the distance and the pace, yesterday I did 25.2 miles at an average speed of 13 mph**. (Looking for the "proud" smilie, but there doesn't seem to be one. :))

The bike is a 1988 Raleigh. The stickers say "Reynolds 531c" and "lightweight, handbuilt frame". It doesn't seem to have a model name, it weighs about 9.5kg and it's yellow. I think it's a lot faster than I am.

* Yes, I know what most people think of Halfords but:
    i) I didn't know any better and
    ii) They did a good job.

** Or in other words, about the same pace as an elite marathon runner. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:52 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Hello! Loving this web site, was originally recommended to have a root around on here as am looking to get an old(er) steel bike, and I'm finding the general discussions/expertise both invaluable & entertaining!

I'm Stuart, originally from NE Lincs, currently living in Brum, soon to be moving to Cheshire.

Handsome.

:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:32 pm 
Dirt Disciple

afternoon one an all

just joined as i feel i'm worthy of joining as i just bought my self a Royal Enfield Bullet, im hoping to create some sort of road bike with it.

i commute ever day an when i get the chance i ride too

current bikes are

2011 Tricross
2008 Kona Stinky
2004 Trek 3200
1996 Scott Tampico
1963 Royal Enfield Bullet

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:59 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Hello forum, Timo from Amsterdam here. Not sure if this qualifies as a classic track bike but here goes: my girl's 46cm track frame with 650c wheels, build from Reynolds 531 tubes by RIH Amsterdam in 1991. It sports the 1991 KNWU (Royal Dutch Cycling Union) selection colors.

Frame: RIH Competition/46 cm/1991

Fork/Headset: RIH Competition/Sugino (soon Campagnolo Record)

Crankset/Bottom Bracket: Campagnolo Record Pista 46t

Pedals: MKS Sylvan w/BLB toe-clip and double Zéfal straps

Handlebar/Stem: 36cm Nitto B123/90mm Nitto Jaguar (looking for 90mm Cinelli 2A stem and 36cm Cinelli track handlebar)

Saddle/Seatpost: Selle Sanmarco Concor/Campagnolo Record

Wheels/Hubs/Tires: Miche Pista/Wolber Profil 18/Gommitalia Junior 650c (28 soldered spokes)

Intended for track use as soon as the "piste" season starts at the Sloten track here in Amsterdam in September.

"At home" in the RIH shop where it was build twenty years ago...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 785 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 79  Next