Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Thu Dec 03, 2020 5:57 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1088 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 105, 106, 107, 108, 109

How did you find retrobike?
Google Search 63%  63%  [ 70 ]
Link from a friend 16%  16%  [ 18 ]
Social media (facebook, twitter, google+) 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Print media 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
Another bike site 13%  13%  [ 14 ]
Something else 8%  8%  [ 9 ]
Total votes : 112
PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 10:56 pm 
Gold Trader / MacRetro rider

My motomag I picked up over 10 years ago now from California. Same year as the one I had when I was a kid. That one was stolen when I went to high school unfortunately. I have very slowly been gathering bits and pieces I had mine setup with back in the day. Mine wasn't painted, it was straight nickel plated and thats what I waited for finding. Unfortunately no motomags themselves as I had red Tuffs so that is what I have now, red tuffs, Mongoose gold stem and Dia Compe MX1000 red brakes, Mongoose 1 piece crank, chainwheel. Not the flashest but it wasn't back in the day either but more than my parents could likely have afforded even then, bless them.
One day I will finish it properly and then it will be for my son most likely. He will probably trade it for a GI Joe or something :)

Jamie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 12:29 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Nice! anything nickle plated is a winner! and The Tuffs are just as cool.

You've inspired me to hop over to the BMX forum and take a look ther as well, haha. :lol:

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 12:05 am 
Dirt Disciple

I've been hanging around over in Retro MTB for a couple of years but have now made the leap in the road bike world. Picked up a Giant Pacer - around 1986 I think. Has anyone seen these before, I didn't see much information here.

Seems to be mostly original / period parts except for the saddle.

For now just planning to clean it up and get some new tyres / brakes before getting on the road...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 11:41 am 

Hello I thought id say hello wotcha gday cooeee :D

Kev

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 12:04 am 
Dirt Disciple

edited

Last edited by Holiocornolio on Tue Nov 10, 2020 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 2:18 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Hi All,
I'm relatively new here, and started riding when the bikes that we are discussing on this here forum were just bikes, without the need for the retro prefix. My first road bike was a Raleigh Olympic 5 speed which I cynically steered into the path of an overtaking vehicle in order to write off and get what was at that time, my hearts true desire - a Raleigh Pursuit 10 speed. Turned out to be not the best plan, as I nearly wrote my 13 year old self off in the process, but all's well that ends well, and after a brief recuperation dad was taking me to the bike shop to acquire the aforementioned Pursuit with mint green decals. Parents thought it best to get me the 23" frame to 'grow into', and as things stand, 32 years later I'm yet to grow into it. 5 years merrily riding that bike around the byways of Essex, and I was off to university. Cycling as a hobby was cast aside in favour of cultivating an unhealthy relationship with alcohol. Fast forward another 20 years, and another brush with mortality brought me to the realisation that I'm not invincible, and at 38, I finally rediscovered fitness as a positive energy in my life. I'd love to say that what brought me to vintage bikes was the need to reconnect with the 13 year old on the Raleigh Pursuit, but even at the tender age of 13 it took me all of 3 months to realise that the Pursuit was a shit bike that didn't fit me, and was largely specc'd by accountants that had no love for cycling or passion for their product. What has brought me to this forum is that I have exchanged one unhealthy passion for another (albeit one that is not as physically harmful to the old internal organs). I love bikes, I love riding bikes, I love working on bikes, looking at bikes, talking about bikes and well.. you get the picture. I have 1 bike that does everything I need, and it could easily be the only bike I owned, but like, I suspect, most people reading this, 1 bike is not enough. So I got a carbon bike and it's amazing and so much more bike than I can justify, and now I'm in the process of restoring another bike which I will probably never EVER ride when it's wet outside, and which i will probably spend more time and money working on than any of the bikes that I do actually ride, and saddest of all, I actually have a spot on my office wall where I will hang it so that I can just, you know, look at it whenever I'm feeling wistful. One more thing, for reasons that I really can't put my finger on, I REALLY love Condor steel frames.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 3:13 pm 

Beautifully said and really, I think you will fit right in here.
Welcome aboard :)

Jamie

Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 3:25 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Jamiedyer wrote:
Beautifully said and really, I think you will fit right in here.
Welcome aboard :)

Jamie

Thanks. That's kind of you to say so. I had a quick look at your blog. Love it. Great pics and that Mercian is Peachy. What are the handlebars on your surly? They look a bit like the sonder lovemud bombers that I have on my cross bike?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1088 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 105, 106, 107, 108, 109