Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:37 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 851 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 82, 83, 84, 85, 86  Next

How did you find retrobike?
Google Search 62%  62%  [ 61 ]
Link from a friend 14%  14%  [ 14 ]
Social media (facebook, twitter, google+) 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Print media 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
Another bike site 14%  14%  [ 14 ]
Something else 8%  8%  [ 8 ]
Total votes : 98
 Post subject: Hello
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:58 am 

Hello from the sunny Black Country in the Midlands. I have a few modern bikes both road and MTB, but I have had a hankering for a retro bike for a while.
So I started to search and came across the same bike I had as a teenager. Nothing special compared to some on here, but this bike brings back a lot of happy memories and nostalgia for me. It's a 1985/6 Raleigh Panasonic Team Replica. It needs a few jobs doing. New hoods, correct bar tape I can see from the picture. I'll also service it and put a new cassette and chain, new tyres and brake blocks to start.
I can only assume that this is where I start to spend a fair bit of cash......

Attachments:
IMG_-jlk6gb.jpg
IMG_-jlk6gb.jpg [ 297.26 KiB | Viewed 539 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:08 pm 

deleted****

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:30 am 

Hi, I'm Ben
I'm a jump biker who recently acquired a30 year-old 531 Raleigh avanti. I am currently turning it into a wierd road bike. Its a combination of old new 26" and 700 cc. I figured since I got the frame I should join this site after a friend suggested it.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:42 am 

Hi guys,

I am Carlos, from Switzerland. I own (well, my girlfriend does) a marvelous Raleigh Rapide in red. I am now into the quest for another one for me, but smaller. Since I race triathlons, I decided as well to do some next year but in full "old school" modus, therefore I am looking for such bikes/frames as well.

Post subject: Re: Vitus 979
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:37 am 

Hi I'm from Australia, Recenly purchased a classic 979 Vitus and trying to establish the year of manufacture can anyone help thanks. Its running Duraace Shimano 600 Cranks Mavic Cosmic 40mm alloy wheels 1st gen- any assitance would be greatly appreciated see photo for serial numbers I137547 based on research I place it around 1989-91 apparently the 979 frame was made until 1991 :)

Attachments:
bike2.jpg
bike2.jpg [ 61.61 KiB | Viewed 419 times ]
bike1.jpg
bike1.jpg [ 100.24 KiB | Viewed 419 times ]

Post subject: Re: hello
PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:30 am 

Attachment:
IMG_0580.JPG
IMG_0580.JPG [ 162.09 KiB | Viewed 366 times ]

Hello all. Found the forum while looking for old parts. Just started rebuilding my old Rourke frame from around 1985. Trying to go as original as possible so will be back for advice!

Hopefully I've attached a photo of the current sad situation...

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:13 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Hi from Belgium!

My hobby is adventure and gravel cycling and restoring/refitting/rebuilding old steel road bikes. I’m from Brabant county, Brussels West, aka Eddy Merckx area. :D I used to restore quiet some Flandria’s and Superia’s, learning ‘the trade’, but decided to up my game with high end Kessels and Eddy Merckx steel, and it’s very addictive. My current project is an early 70s Kessels Main d’Or. To support and finance my hobby I do sell once and a while, I’ll post it in de sales thread and maybe you’ll find it to be just what you’re looking for.

I’m also working on an Eddy Merckx Cycles ‘encyclopedia’ 1980-1999, a reliable source to be published online, because EM’s can be hard to date or classify. So if you have catalogues or any other first hand sources (invoices, archive docs from your local dealer…) please let me know.

Thanks and good riding!

All the best,
MM

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:13 pm 

Hello from Ohio,
New to the vintage bike scene but recently acquired a 50s or 60s Rory O'Brien frame and came across this site looking for parts. I hope to build it up close to original and see what my parents' riding experience would have been like.
Attachment:
Frame.jpg
Frame.jpg [ 125.61 KiB | Viewed 273 times ]

Post subject: Hello :)
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:37 pm 

Hi all,

New to the forum after getting back into bicycles after a break (went motorcycle racing) but back in love with the muscle powered two wheels.
I have had a variety of modern bikes and tried carbon, but not a lover...Steel all the way .
my current but expanding selection has Brian Rourkes (x2), sirrius and Rob Telfers :)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:10 pm 

By way of introduction, I'm an Englishman who has been based in France for fifteen years and is slightly past UK retirement age (fat chance..). My Dad had a cycle (later motorcycle) shop in East London, so I grew up with bikes - the great passion being building them up from salvaged parts.

Later life got in the way of regular cycling, particularly since I lived for many years in hilly Cornwall. My wife and I eventually got a couple of Raleigh hybrids and began to ride routes like The Camel Trail and Tarka Trail, which we both loved.

When we came to France, along with the hybrids we brought an F-frame Moulton which I'd had for years but had never got around to restoring. When I did so it turned out to be a '65 M4 Speed, so I kept it pretty much standard-looking. I intend to ride it at vintage vélo events, to see the reactions. :0)

I'd always regretted, though, selling a lovely old Hawkes 531 road bike during hard times when I lived in Cornwall, so when I came across a slightly sad-looking Eddy Merckx on offer at a local brocante street market I handed over 15 euros, brought it home and began to apply liberal amounts of TLC. It turned out to be an early model produced by the French Starnord company in 1979 - not exactly a Molteni, but comparable in weight to a Reynolds 501 frame and an enjoyable ride. Hunting down parts and information for that got me hooked on vintage/classic road bikes.

My next purchase was an immaculate '86 Peugeot Ventoux (PH501) which I saw advertised online and snapped up for 150 euros. It's virtually original, apart from a change of front wheel, and there's some doubt as to whether it would have come with Huret derailieurs or the Simplex set it currently has. Either way, after a spot of re-greasing, it rides very nicely and, like the Merckx, has a larger than average (for France..) frame, which suits me.

Next I bought an indifferent-looking but well-specced road bike from a charity outlet for 30 euros, and stripped some very nice components from it for future use or trades.

Finally, I chanced upon a VERY light Mercier-stamped frame, Zeus BB, fluted seat pin and Mercier-branded San Marco saddle - 10 euros well-spent, I feel. TBC...

That's quite enough for now, or I'll never accrue enough posts to be able to include images. :0)

Roger

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 851 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 82, 83, 84, 85, 86  Next