Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:17 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 906 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91  Next

How did you find retrobike?
Google Search 63%  63%  [ 63 ]
Link from a friend 14%  14%  [ 14 ]
Social media (facebook, twitter, google+) 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Print media 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
Another bike site 14%  14%  [ 14 ]
Something else 8%  8%  [ 8 ]
Total votes : 100
 Post subject: New here and need info
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:49 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Hi all

I have a Carlton all chrome bike. Was told it was 50s 60s but I’m not sure. Any info welcome

Attachments:
7EC187FA-EEF1-4D3E-8869-B6C96E65BDF7.jpeg
7EC187FA-EEF1-4D3E-8869-B6C96E65BDF7.jpeg [ 342.85 KiB | Viewed 1612 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:42 am 

Hi and hello from a new member in Lancashire here returning to cycling after 20 years and 3 kids.

First an apology. A month ago I bought my first bike in many years...a Cannondale CAAD8...I hate the damned thing.

So now I've ordered myself the first of many retro bikes. Only a Carrera Epic to start with circa 1980's but i'll love it....unlike that over engineered piece of junk in my garage.... Lesson learned.

501 frames, quills pedals and clips, with down tube gear levers all the way for me now...if it's not got those then i'm not interested...

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:21 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Hello all, i,m Scott a 50 year old, I stay up in the NE of Scotland. I started cycling as a kid, with hand me downs until I got a brand new Raleigh Chopper,then a Carlton Circuit, I got back into cycling over 10 years ago, I've tried carbon bikes and all that kind of super doper types but I still prefer steel, My rides are a Carton Pro mk5, Carlton Circuit,(winter bike) Bordman cx ( which Iam going to sell as I just cant take to it) and I will be starting a build on a nice 1987 Raleigh Road Ace when I get home ( I work on a ship for 5 weeks at time).
My main interests in bikes are Carltons through the years I've had Circuits, Corsas, aTen, Continental, also Raleigh Lightweight Elix,etc.
I really enjoy reading about all the wonderful builds here.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:10 pm 
Devout Dirtbag

Hey everyone.

I have just signed up to this site, I am really pleased to see a forum dedicated to old skool bikes, what would we do without you knowledgeable lot :)

I have just picked up myself a Raleigh Banana, it's a 18-23 one so nothing special although when I bought it I didn't know there were other variations out there to buy (Doh!) still I have it now so I am going to lavish it some love.

I'll fire off my first post, hopefully in the relevant section, thanks for having me here :)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:26 am 

Morning all, I've just signed up on the site but have been on bikeforums for a bit. I signed up there during my first restoration project - a 70s Mondia as they seem to have more of a following across the pond and some good threads. However I always feel a bit foolish when a retrobike brother/sister from California invites me out for a ride and I have to tell them I live in Bristol, UK. I guess I found the Retrobike forum through Google, but I just became increasingly aware of it researching bikes and components.

Anyway, I've been bitten by the bug, my wife laughs at my excitement of receiving a rusty seatpost in the post, grumbles at me nerdling about on the internet looking at bikes and sighs at me polishing components in the kitchen sink. I've nearly finished that Mondia - just disassembled a Campag NR rear derailleur, removed the anodising and working my way through the man hours required to polish it! That's the last component, then it'll be time to find out I'm no mechanic and it rides like a pig :)

I've got a couple more projects on the go, the one occupying most of my brainspace is a mid 50s Hetchins Experto Crede. I've got a few questions to post!

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 2:34 pm 

Hi all

Am looking at purchasing my first vintage bike i am 6'3 so need a 60cm frame.

i am also being quite fussy in what i am after too!

I am after a lugged frame and one that is geared and the downtube has to be smooth (no bumps for gear shifter stay) as I have an old campagnolo record gear shifter which i absolutely adore which i will be fitting.

Anyone advice is appreciated! Alternatively if you are selling something similar please do shout!

thanks

joe

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 4:58 pm 

Hello,

I probably should have introduced myself ages ago! But, any old hoo...

I'm far from a connoisseur. But, I do like to ride. I don't get to as much as I would like at the moment. Life seems to get in the way. So, I enjoy my commute on a ratty old Peugeot Yale that I've converted to fixed speed - mainly I think so I could scribble out the "2" from "21 Speed Index" on the seat stay! It's down about 10,000 miles now with me. So, I guess we've grown to love one another.

My Sunday / long ride bike is a Planet X Pro Carbon. Hardly retro, I know. But, it is a bit easier up the hills than the fixie!

In the long drawn out process of being built is my yet-to-be-identified-possibly-retro-nice bike. It is intriguing if nothing else! I have posted in another thread about that, so I won't bore you (too much!) here. I think it's a 531c frame, with 531 semi-sloping fork. I have built it up with Shimano 600 tricolour components. Now, these may or may not be period. Given that the brakes are a little short in drop and I had to cobble together a hub / cassette combo, I'm guessing I could be a bit out...

So, looking forward to drifting on by here on a more regular basis and seeing what's going on, picking up a few hints and tips, divulging any knowledge gained (don't hold out too many hopes there!), etc.

Cheers,

Jim

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 9:26 am 

Hi folks,

Back in the 80s I did a lot of leisure/getting around road cycling, including 135 miles across the bottom half of Wales on a five speed built around an old 531 frame I found buried at a farm! Sadly it got stolen from my car :-(

In the 90s I got the mountain bike bug, but I've always kept a road bike as well, and for nearly 20 years I haven't done as much cycling as I want but I'm trying to do more.

My road bike is an MBK Triathlete from the early 90s/late 80s. The only mods its had are saddle, sponge grips and spd pedals, all of similar vintage. Also a couple of period stickers (OK,OK ones an MBUK one!)

I bought the bike as remaindered stock to raid for parts, but the truth is it was so nice to ride I kept it, despite the frame being a bit small for me, I just have the seatpost nice and high.

It still has the original Hutchinson 700 x 22c wired tyres - I'm really struggling to find affordable whitewall/gumwall 22C wrire ons to replace them - any suggestions?

Neil

My mountain bike is equally venerable but much modified. I've been told I'm a retro grouch so I've ended up here!

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 9:34 am 

Ha Ha. I've been told that I'm simply a grouch!!!

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 10:09 pm 
rBoTM Winner
rBoTM Winner

Hi All

Been away for a few years decided I missed my retro bike (Calfee Lemond Team Bike), so here a new project. collecting tomorrow. Paintwork is immaculate been in storage for most of its 28 years apparently so a quick stip down, re build with a few new components and should end up with a mint bike.

Cheers

Tim

Attachments:
Condor 10.jpg
Condor 10.jpg [ 210.84 KiB | Viewed 1075 times ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 906 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91  Next